Home baking

Jo53

Well, to follow on from the 'French women don't get fat' thread ... I've come to the conclusion that the French really don't know how to make cakes. Patisseries, yes, but not cakes. The mums had to bring home-made cakes to sell at a school fundraising thing recently, and what a sorry offering (with a few exceptions)! Some were suitable for little more than bricklaying. Cake around here means 'quatre quarts', that heavy, eggy, rubbery stuff that is completely different from a good, moist yet light sponge. Also, the whole thing of using wholemeal flour, dark brown sugar and golden syrup in baking is completely unknown, so you don't get the rich flavours. Oh, I'm making myself hungry. You just can't beat a good homemade sponge.

Jo

I do know a couple of women around here who make lovely light cakes.

Ovens used to be really bad and burn things easily and maybe because of this it is easier to make tarts and pastries, as they are far easier to bake in hot ovens. And maybe because of this in general there has never been a great tradition of cake as we know them.

Personally I believe that brit cakes and puddings are absolutely wonderful. Spotted dick and custard....... miam miam

My ma-in-law made some little cakes to take to someone's house once, just that basic same weight of eggs, sugar, flour, butter, with some raisins thrown in.

Great wonder was expressed at the lovely gateaux and the recipe was demanded all round, and they've now been added to the repertoire of many neighbours.  Funny, really.

I don't think I know anyone who makes their own patisserie.  I know one man who knows how to because he did it for a job for a while, but as he now works in a truck- and digger-hire place full time, he doesn't get a lot of chance to practice.

When I was doing the 'worst job in the world' I must have eaten in nearly every farmhouse in Brittany.  Those with a chicken shed, anyway.

They have 'standard' food everywhere...rice with tuna and hard boiled egg, bread soup, pot au feu etc.  They ALL made it for us!

Cakes were usually apple or plain like a Madiera, far breton with or without prunes...and that is about it.  Quatre Quart was usually bought in.

I was only discussing this in the supermarket yesterday at the checkout when I went to stock up because of the snow.  She did agree that the French woman are not adventurous with regards puddings, desserts and cakes.  Perhaps this is why they are 'thin'!!

I have never seen recipes for adding yeast - levure de boulangerie.  Are you perhaps confusing it with levure chimique which is baking powder.  They don't use self raising here.  It has only just arrived.... 

[quote]I cannot remember what book I read this in but it said that the French don't make their own puddings generally. In fact it said for a dinner party it can appear to be quite mean if you make your own.[/quote]

Isn't that rather like saying the english can't cook

Yes, it is a generalisation, however was just quoting what I read in a book about French culture. I don't remember but I believe it was in either "60 Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong" or "French or Foe". I am not saying it is true but when I have mentioned it to English friends that live there permanently said that explains a few things. One being that a French friend being a Chef had never made the desert himself when they have been over for dinner (the friend had always made her own desert or pudding). I am sure that there are others on here that would have had a great deal more experience than me on this but maybe it is just a culture thing. 

I'm so glad you brought this up, it's one of my pet subjects! 

My least favourite French "cake" is the financier, which, when well made tastes like a boring fairy cake without the lightness, or any icing to make it more interesting, and when badly made might as well be a brick.

WJT - the quote you mention is from "60 million Frenchman can't be wrong". In my experience the French tend to be a bit nonplussed if you produce a homemade dessert - they are so used to the usual tartes etc that they don't know how to react to something they don't recognise! I made the mistake of making a proper trifle (jelly-free) for some French friends once. They weren't very polite about it at all! And once I made a French tarte aux poires (the kind with almond) and one friend criticised it because I hadn't cut the pears up in quite the right way! I've bought my dinner party puddings ever since, because I can't bear the hassle.

But I still make and decorate proper sponge cakes for my children's birthdays, and whenever else I feel like it, because as you say, there's nothing better! My sister in law, who is considered by the family to be something of a cake master, kindly made a chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday recently, but my 5-year-old daughter rejected it on the grounds that the outside was rock hard and the inside rubbery. She was right of course, but everyone else oohed and aaahed over its deliciousness (except me, I had to agree with my daughter only couldn't say so).

I have read the same, about a home-made desert being somehow thought of, by the french, as inferior to a shop-bought one .

Wish I could remember the name of the book, it was written by an Australian girl who fell in love with a frenchman and moved to Paris.  The cultural differences it highlighted really quite scared me until I realised that quite a lot of the problems she encountered were due to the circles she was moving in in Paris.

I have been to quite a few french hosted dinner parties, but have only once been offered a home-made desert.  It seems quite common around here for guests to bring a desert, along with the flowers, (never chrysanths of course) for the hostess.  I always take a home-made one, just to prove I can

<<In my experience the French tend to be a bit nonplussed if you produce a homemade dessert >>

A Pavlova is usually very well received, maybe because it looks fluffy and colourful?

And if by any chance they don't like it, you just say "actually, it's a New Zealand recipe, it's not really British at all...."  

"A Pavlova is usually very well received, maybe because it looks fluffy and colourful?"

- True, though in the past I've had complaints (from my husband mainly) about the over liberal use of cream which the French are apparently not used to! So Eton Mess might be a better option, if its lack of precision presentation can be tolerated

LOL I have occassionally taken a bought one and people do the gueule when I do. My strawberry fresh cream merangues got a speech and were duly applauded last summer. So no, home made puds are very well accepted if they are good.

Although I may not quite move in the circles where 'one' does not 'do' the cooking.

These people who buy in everything for your dinner when they invite you are doing it as a 'mark of respect'.  They want you to see that they have made an effort, and spent money, in buying only the best for their Honoured Guests. 

Not poisoned you with 'home-made' food.

This is about where I live.  Other regions may be different.

[quote]These people who buy in everything for your dinner when they invite you are doing it as a 'mark of respect'. They want you to see that they have made an effort, and spent money, in buying only the be...[/quote]

Alexis, out of interest what area of France do you live in?

You wouldn't care to share your chocolate cake recipe with us would you Battypuss? I could do with a "cake to swoon over" recipe in my repertoire. I understand if it is a family secret or something but otherwise would be very grateful to see it. Please?

These people who buy in everything for your dinner when they invite you are doing it as a 'mark of respect'.  They want you to see that they have made an effort, and spent money, in buying only the best for their Honoured Guests. 

On a rare visit to London a few years ago I invited some UK neighbours to dinner.  Not having much time I simply bought the best of M&S, heated it up and served it in my best Wedgewood china dishes.  I thought everyone on earth recognised M&S duck a l'orange but this couple didn't so I accepted their compliments as if I'd slaved all afternoon over the meal.  Then after the main course she gets up to go to powder her nose but mistakes the door to the downstairs loo for the door to the utility room, which is knee deep in cardboard wrappers for salmon mousse, garlic potatoes, petits pois with onions and, yes, duck a l'orange.  So she comes back and says, "lemon tart for pudding, Margaret?"  She'd seen the packet!   Moral of story is, if you're going to cheat, always bin the evidence beforehand.

When in France I've usually cooked a first and main course, warned French guests about it(!), claimed not to be a very good cook (which isn't exactly true, I have done a couple of courses) and then waited for their kind remarks.  I would always serve a shop bought tart.  Does anyone know anyone who can make them better?

And finally, talking of French baking, does anyone know the pudding, diplomate?  I have a friend who can still remember her "Madam's" heavenly version of it from when she was an Assistante in France 35 years ago.  And one of the finest puddings I have ever eat was a diplomate in a small restaurant in the old quarter of Domfront (61)almost as long ago.  It's sponge with caramelised pieces of apple inside, sometimes raisins, served with an alcoholic creme anglaises (calva is a perfect addition).  Believe me it's wonderful but don't seem to see it nowadays.

Margaret

Idiotproof chocolate cake

150g strong dark chocolate (more than 50% cocoa solids)

125g sugar

125g butter

3 eggs

90g flour

1/2 packet levure chimique

Whisk eggs and sugar until they change colour.

Melt butter and chocolate in bowl over simmering water.

Cool slightly.

Add to egg and sugar mix. Stir well.

Sift over flour/levure chique

Fold in gently.

Pour into buttered tin, doesn't really matter what size, I use a small roasting tin about 9" X 5". Or an oval gratin dish, anything really as long as it's reasonably shallo, not a deeeeeep cake tin! Batter is more liquid than you would expect, don't panic.

Bake about 30-40 minutes at Mark 3/4 but keep an eye on it.

Fudge icing for top

75g sugar

50g butter/marg

100g chocolate

75ml evaporated milk (lait in tins, unsweetened kind)

Put milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan over a low heat and allow the sugar to dissolve completely, stirring frequently. Bring gently to boil and simmer for 7 minutes WITHOUT stirring.

Take off heat and stir in broken up cocolate. Finally add butter. Cool, stick in fridge for a couple of hours until it's spreadable.