Protocal regarding Pompiers?

Fitzsie

To cut a long story short we have just had to call the local pompiers to put out a chimney fire (mind you by the time they turned up we had managed to do most of it ourselves!!)  However, despite the lack of fluency in the language on my part ,they were absolutely superb and they ended up removing the woodburner from the fireplace (no mean feat on it's own) and clearing the chimney etc. They left the area completely clean and I had to stop them from even wanting to wash the floor themselves! So my question is, what is the protocol to show your appreciation for the work they have done. As they are all volunteers both myself and my partner feel we should do something, but what?  We know thay have a training day on Sunday morning when they will all be at the station, but what could we do? Any comments gratefully received.

Be thankful!  We had the same treatment once, I think it must be standard procedure, although I was slightly nervous about having the still burning wood burner standing in the middle of the room. I think you will find that they do get paid, but you could always have an expensive calender next Christmas.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

Be thankful!  We had the same treatment

once, I think it must be standard procedure, although I was slightly

nervous about having the still burning wood burner standing in the

middle of the room. I think you will find that they do get paid, but

you could always have an expensive calender next Christmas.

Chris

[/quote]

In July of 2003 at 0300 we called them as I was having serious

respiration problems.  They were there in 12 minutes.  After

stabilizing me, I was in Urgence in St Malo  Hospital on life

support in 17 minutes.  They literally saved my life.  We

paid 100€ for the calendar that year and considered it quite a bargain.

Fitzie,

You may receive a bill, I have heard of pompiers charging for certain call outs these

days and this might or might not be seen as a call out to be charged

for. If you do not hear from them for a while, why not pop something suitable

in an enevelope and take it down to the station they came from. Write a

few nice words on a note and put it in with the token of appreciation.

It's a long time until the next calendar call...................

They will appreciate it, I assure you and it sure will not do you any harm in the community either.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Further to (my) posts on the subject of chimmney fires and rammonage certs, did they ask for the cleaning certificate or have I been (inadvertently and with the best of intentions) posting utter bull****.
Regards

[/quote]

I don't know what you've been posting, powerdesal! 

I can't think why pompiers would ask for the ramonage cert, isn't it for the insurance claim afterwards?

The exact same thing happened to me two years ago but thankfully I didn't have a fire, just ignited pieces falling back down that had adhered somehow to the top of the flue liner and my stupidity in burning some pine when my OH was away which had created the ignited stuff. Wonderful chaps although two fire engines was a bit over the top. I gave them bottles of whisky I had unopened inthe cupboard and an extra large donation when the calendars came round. No invoice was ever received or demand to see a certificate of rammonage either.

Thanks for everyones comments, much appreciated. The cause of the fire was similar in that sparks were blown back down into the chimney (with all the high winds we had yesterday) and set alight the insulation above the woodburner. We also had no idea that the conduit above the woodburner was only a few metres in depths. The Pompier even left a diagram as to what we should do have done to prevent it happening again. No damage done to the house etc so insurance claim necessary. We have a french artisan coming out tomorrow to give us a devis for work required. Can't get this service in the UK.

We will be buying an expensive calendar this year but it is over 10 months away so that is why we wanted to show our appreciation sooner. Maybe a crate of beer or something similar will suit. Thanks again everyone.

SaligoBay,

I had, in the recent past, posted that I had been 'advised' that,

following a chimmney fire call-out the Pompiers would require to see

proof that the flue had been swept within the previous 12 months.

Absence of the certificate being (presumably) an indication of

negligence causing a fire which would then lead to a fine.

I passed on the info in good faith for the benefit of other wood

burning (or multi-fuel) members. I make no personal claims to know at

first hand what the results of a call-out are. It was purely in the

interests of safety.

I have been wrong before and no doubt will be again.

Regards

I accept your comments and have heard of similar advice being given. We were initially concerned as well but I think that as the fire was caused by the previous owners not installing the woodburner correctly, ie the flue fitted was too short then I think it was not issue for us. In fact the insurance company is even going to pay to have the work done correctly! My mouth is still open as we speak!

We were told (in Charente) that if you have a chimney fire and have to call the pompiers, they will charge you a call out fee (rather than a fine) if you cannot prove your chimney has been swept within the last year.  As far as we know we don't need a certificate - just the receipt from the chimney sweep.

• 3 weeks later...