Invite to Lunch....HELP!!!!!

vickybear

Have done a quick search and not found answer and it's urgent [8-)].

Hubby did big favour for French neighbours yesterday and we're now invited for lunch today - 12.30. We can see the table set outside and by the looks of it they are going to some effort.

This is our first invite to a French house for lunch. Are we expected to take anything or would they be insulted after the favour done for them ( involving a long, long journey following said neighbour on his new tractor - 10 hours driving at 20 kph!! )

We live a long way from the nearest shops so are a bit stuck for a gift.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

I had this dilema a few weeks ago.  I took a cake I had baked that day which she served up along with her own desert.  Everybody had a bit of both or you could either take some freshly cut flowers from your garden. I often take some of my roses. 

hope this helps

Not too sure on the correct procedure, but given the time it is I will make a small suggestion.  Do you have any flowers/plants in your garden? pick a small bunch as a token, tie them with some rafia/string/giftwrap.  I am sure that seing you were invited on the spur of the moment it is a genuine thank you lunch. Bon apetite!

>>>Hubby did big favour for French neighbours yesterday and we're now invited for lunch today - 12.30. We can see the table set outside and by the looks of it they are going to some effort. <<<

THEY are saying Thank you for the favour you did them, so don't fret too much...

Just some flowers, your bonhomie, possibly some photos of life before in UK, family stuff really. It can help with the conversation.

Just be yourself and play it as you go type of thing...

Thanks for all your replies so far. The lady neighbour is besotted with my little terrier dog, so maybe I'll just take her ( for a visit - not as a gift!! ).

No, seriously I think I'll do the flowers idea and the photos is a good idea too. Actually, I've just had a brainwave. Think I'll take a photo of the terrier in a little frame for her to keep! Just off to find one........many thanks again x