French Women Don't?

Jonzjob

Mireille Guiliano's book 'French Women Don't Get Fat'?     Read it yet?

All I can say is that there are a hell of a lot of French speaking 'ladies' here and around where we live that are almost as round as they are tall! The lady who has written the book is not in the same country as we are. The ideas are that you learn from your mother as to how to live a full and healthy life and the French are the only ones who know how to do it.... Well why don't they? I have only read the first 1/3rd so far, it's not meant for us blokes to read, we are built different (I have got to admit that I had noticed that, by a couple of points at least!!?). There are some of good looking reciepies that will help you on you way.

BUT as a matter of interest have you seen any overweight French ladies? If so, why when they have been taught so carefully by their mothers not to be so?

Sorry, but I am not sure what planet the France is on that the woman wrote about, but I don't think it's this one!

John. (duck before the flak gets tooooo heavy!? [:-))] [8-)])

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

John .......

Just for the record, they're all slim and voluptuous around here.

Aren't you getting towards magret de canard territory up your way?  Too much of the old fatty diet?

[/quote]

Nowt wrong with a good juicy magret. Duck fat 'ain't fattening. My old Mum used to say it was all the oil wot was eaten wot wos made em fat. Not sure of that me-self though, we have lots and I can still see me (thinks? will this get past the moderators 'cause that Russethouse is red-ot)     toes.... I cam see me misseses too sometimes...

We tried some BBQed oysters tonight for the first time tonight. How long do you have to cook the bluddy things before the shell is tender enough to eat? meat was nice though, although a bit dry after 2 hours [8-)].

John.

So if I were your wife Jonzob, would you feed me chocolate cake and cream or lettuce?  I think the majority of french women I have seen are very slim well into middle age even. 

But what is this weight thing with women.  We store fat beneath or skin which is far healthier that around the organs which is more of a man thing.  Or so my biology teacher told me.  I liked biology, it made me listen.

hello

possibly that book is talking about the good old days when french ladies were slim, and english men had stiff upper lips. I SAID UPPER LIPS

and children behaved them selves and you could get a few pints and fish and chips on the way home and still have change from a pound.

I'll tell you wot Mc Donalds has a lot to answer too....................................................

This French woman is pas plus haute que 5 pieds 6pouces.

She is rondouillette aux bons endroits and slim everywhere else.

She tends to gain a little embonpoint when eating too much chocolat on good days. On bad days she is on strict salade, poisson, légumes verts et fruits washed down by a lot of water and in the evening one glass of white wine.

One a day only to keep level topped up nicely..

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

How slim are the men who have been posting on this thread?

[/quote]

This one is 5' 11" and weighs in at 13 1/2 stone. Just about 1/2 stone over what I would like to be. Age, physically getting on towards me pension, mentally a teenager, but feel about 90 most of the time. I think that I must have been born old though? Oh yes, I had me first grey hair when I was 21. Eat lots of fruit and salad and can't remember the last time we had processed food, if you don't count the lovely squishy cake yesterday a/noon?[:$]

Still no reply about the oysterz yet?

John

>>>Still no reply about the oysterz yet?<<<

Is that a joke?...

If not your are supposed to open them first, then rest the shell on the BBQ and the oyster will cook in it's own juice and 'mini' dish/shell. Not more than 2 minutes should do or they become just a rubbery blobb...

But really oysters should be eaten as they come. Possibly with a little lemon juice squeezed over AND certainly washed down with a nicely chilled Muscaset sur lie, or Sancerre, or Gewurztraminer.

Only joking.......

I did open them and went with the instructions from the guy I bought them from, straight from the Etang du Thau, Séte. I did them on a hot, very hot, plate on the BBQ in butter for about 5 mins and they just melted in your mouth, yum, yum.... The lamb chops after were lovely toooo [8-|]

John.

Is there a correct way of putting this? A good proportion of the French women who live in this region are more than a trifle overweight to the point of it being positively unhealthy, the subject is talked about almost every day on the radio, so it's not just a local thing and is causing concern at Government level in France.

For the record, I am 1.7 metres tall, 65 kg in weight, almost 60 years on this earth, eat very little cr*p, have a glass of wine about once every 2 months and smoke too much.

Chris

The planet the author is on is 'choose a book title to gain attention and make money'. Which she has achieved very nicely.

Round here (NW France), many people (men and women) are well built and upwards. At the swimming pool last week I noticed a good proportion of lardy children.

No, didnt read the book but watched a doco about the subject. Its absolute rubbish of course. But then, in another way, Ive noticed pregnant french women and how they seem to stay thin all over except for the little bulge. I gleened this from having sat in a french pre-natal clinic for several months. I am convinced its down to the amount of black coffee they drink and the many cigarettes they smoke. Pregnant or not. But, for all that, french women seem to wrinkle earlier and have very poor complexions.  Once they are out of their teens its hard to guess if they are in their 20's or 30's!.  Personally, I'd rather have a rounded figure than a rough face any day. Actually a visiting relative commented that the local women were the most unattractive he'd ever seen!. So, is slim everything?.

I was just trying to encourage you to have a few more glasses of the red stuff per month you know its good for you dont you just like a little bit of gentle banter betwen friends is!!!If you cant shout about your own vices who can ........ I have plenty of them and im proud always open to a few more if you know of any good ones  take care

[quote user="Jo53"]

The planet the author is on is 'choose a book title to gain attention and make money'. Which she has achieved very nicely.

Round here (NW France), many people (men and women) are well built and upwards. At the swimming pool last week I noticed a good proportion of lardy children.

[/quote]

Jo the planet the author is on is called the U.S.A. (note the full stops, USA is a town in Japan that makes copies of expensive American ball point pens ) and she spends most of her time in that little known village called after tyhe English city of York, New something? But as you say she is making a penny or 2 from it. Not from us though because my wife's cousin bought it for us, she thought it may be interesting???[+o(][+o(]

John.