Peter Mayle

Renaud

I can understand why Peter Mayle is not universally loved on this site. He paints a rose-tinted, charming vision of living in France that seems to be at variance with the real life experiences of many who post on this forum.

However when in France, I now find him vital for stopping me loosing my rag. Confronting the trials of everyday life – nearly running out of petrol on a peage, dislocating a shoulder, trying to cash a euro traveller’s cheque, trying to return damaged items to Ikea, trying to get a bloody-minded fonctionaire to complete some paperwork etc. I have two options as to how I can handle the situations, and the one I try to use is the Peter Mayle option – which is to see the amusing side of the situation.

With the stroppy fonctionaire, as my blood pressure was rising but just in time, I wondered how would have Peter Mayle have handled this? So I tried to enjoy his performance, I got him to repeat his favourite phrases even to teach them to me. Some of the necessary forms have very sonorous names.  He started to thaw. I found out that he had a fifteen year old Bugatti that he drove to work, 500cc painted in red. More recent models are notorious for having teething problems but a machine built before 1990 will have been made properly and have all its problems sorted out by now, don’t you know.

None of this helped me progress my paperwork but I came away with the satisfaction of not having met his stroppyness with mine and looking forward to trying to describe the encounter to my family.

When I go back with my sheath of papers containing my dog’s certificate of baptism and grandmother’s rifle proficiency certificate, I look forward to trying to get him to show me his bike…

Dear Gus

I see you do not have elementary ballroom dancing, a primary school certificate for 100 yards breaststroke (converted to metres by a professional translator) or a cycling proficiency certificate.  These together with your Boy Scouts helping hands badge are necessary for even the most trifling piece of administration in France so wipe that grin of your face and get forging the papers at once[:)]

I agree. I used to think it was all a bit too sugary but having recently read "Bon Appetit" and reread "Year in Provence", I have looked at him in a rather different light. He doesn't so much paint it all as rosy but apply a "so what?" attitude. I need to do more of that. He is also amusing without relying on the usual hackneyed phrases (expressions such as "hackneyed phrases") and is easy to read.

The only thing that pisses me off is his ability to buy what he wants when he wants, rather than have to stop and think "Can we really afford to have a 3 ton piece of hand-carved granite and a dozen people to move it" or to eat out at smart restaurants every day? But everyone with more money than me pisses me off in that respect. I should just say "So what?", or shrug with gallic disinterest, of course.

I think I was also put off initially by John Thaw as I am the only person I know who didn't consider him to be an acting genius. (And before all you Thaw fans send hate mail, I should warn you that my reaction will be "So what?")

Mr.Zoff esq. You weren't by any chance the funtionaire that Renaud was dealing with by any chance?

Having visited the Hotel des Impots in St. Malo today, I must say that I have found them nothing but helpful and smiling,even if they still think I'm not married. My wife was not amused, but at the end it all ended in smiles.Now if you were to mention the UK In.Rev & Customs!!

Regards. B&B still,Les Gastines

>>I think I was also put off initially by John Thaw as I am the only person I know who didn't consider him to be an acting genius. (And before all you Thaw fans send hate mail, I should warn you that my reaction will be "So what?")<<

Yep, I loved John Thaw and could happily watch The Sweeney or Inspector Morse or even (but less so) Goodnight Mr Tom, but as Peter Mayle, his casting was dreadful, the only worse piece that comes to mind is that of the lamentable Lindsay Duncan as his wife - truly dreadful IMHO.

Zut alors! Perhaps I have misjudged Mr Thaw all these years due to some mis-casting in one series. Have to agree about Ms Duncan, though. Her inclusion in any cast is enough to ensure I give it a miss.

I'll finish with this now as I seem to be turning into a theatre/TV critic - and there must be few people worse qualified.

Having been suspected of being a stroppy functionaire, earlier in this thread, it's nice to know someone is thinking of me. (No need to elaborate and shatter the illusion.)

Have to say though, much as I disliked said programme, I could easily find many more than 9 to place above it in a worst-ever poll. Aghhhh!  I'm turning into Victor Meldrew now.

But he doesn't paint a rosy picture of life in Provence, far from it.  In fact, when I read A Year In Provence when it first came out in paperback it put me off ever wanting a house in France, especially renovating one and that's something that's stuck with us ever since.  I think we only envy him because he had enough money to opt out and live quite comfortably (once house was renovated) in a fabulously beautiful part of the country and, of course, undeniably he made a mint doing something we would all love to do, namely live in Provence in a lovely house and write a book about it. His later non life style novels are really enjoyable even if you're not particular interested in france.  And his last book about scams in the wine industry is currently being made into a film.

Slightly off topic but Peter Mayle inherited (meaning bought) an

excellent house just outside Menerbes. We spoke of this on here some

while ago when it was brought up before.

Most and I mean most, of his stories were a hotchpot of happenings by

hom no doubt listening to other peoples stories. Some of the stories he told in A

Year in Provence, simply could not have happened to him., his part in

the Boulangerie episode, the goat race and other cases, simply never

happened with him in the role he took in the book. Nothing wrong with

all that, I am pretty peeved or even envious if you like, that he wrote

it before I thought of it [;-)] But the chap who sold him the

house, himself a  builder and who needed to sell the house to pay

off some of his workmen,  was never happy once he found out about

the book and the part the house and all the so called work, 

played in it all.

All no doubt true Miki, but could many, if any, of us have written 2 x 300 page books on our time over here and had them published and sold to millions?  Doubt it.

I've no special brief for the man: none of it is lasting literature.  However, I enjoyed the books and they provided some kind of insight to the life over here.  His observations are often not a million miles wide of the mark! 

Quite right, that's why I said I was peeved [:)]  but he had the know how and the who you know basis

to enable him to get A year in Provence  in print, how to get

it all publicised etc and the rest followed on. Don't forget, his

chronoligical way of  writing the book was not a new style in

which to write but he resurrected it to his advantage very nicely !

[quote]However, I enjoyed the books and they provided some kind of insight to

the life over here.  His observations are often not a million miles

wide of the mark! [/quote]

As I said, he listened and gobbled up all the info and stories from

others, so of course he wouldn't be miles off would he ! I have

hundreds of real life stories (as I am sure many others have as well)

somewhere  in my head, I could add another few hundred from either

hearsay or from friends here, both French and British. But now so many

others have done it and indeed,  many of the last 15 years of

books I have read or just read the preface and based on France(more so

in the last 5 years as more and more people come over and write their book

on their early days or the problems of building/life and so on) 

are telling the same or very similar stories. So either we have all

been through the same things, or we have all heard them from others,

either way, how many ways can you spin out these same stories.

Very few books on someones experience here now catch the imagination

like Mayle did back then but having read shortly after about the truth

and having had a place very near to Menerbes, (so took quite an

interest) it was fairly obvious to me that it was not exactly a true

facts book and for that, I did not think much of it or the follow up

BUT to be fair  the chap took the bacon home, good and

proper and from a well off man become extremely rich instead. As you

say, not a literary work but to many, an insight in to life for some

people  in Provence.

[quote user="Russethouse"]From Cortina to Corsair........(its a joke Miki ! [:)])[/quote]

Actually not bad, as one, we had both cars over the early years of our

marriage and secondly, of course the Saint Malo connection.

And.....Tina worked in a cafe whilst studying when I first knew

her,  called the Cortina, so maybe she should write it [:)]

[quote] We'll all look forward to 'A Year in the Manche' by Miki.[/quote]

Get out of it Ian, we are not Manche peeps, we eez Malouin folk '" Ni Français ni Breton, Malouin suis"

Maybe........ A Beer in Saint Malo, sod it, that George East will write that now [;-)]

[quote user="Miki"]

Get out of it Ian, we are not Manche peeps, we eez Malouin folk '" Ni Français ni Breton, Malouin suis"

[/quote]

Daft of me - I realised shortly after I posted it that St Malo most certainly isn't Manche. Mixed you up with that Dick Smith.