Insanity in action

allanb

I'm not sure whether "culture" is the right place to post this;  perhaps "anti-culture" would be better.  I invite readers to find anything to beat this for sheer stupidity in a public place.

The CPAM of Lot-et-Garonne has a sub-office in Marmande.   In order to get to it, you have to climb a substantial flight of steps from the street.  There is no escalator and no lift; it's quite a challenge if you are old or infirm or burdened with a pram, for instance.

At street level they have considerately put a notice on the wall showing their office hours: Monday to Friday, it says, with the opening and closing times.  So far, so good.

When you have climbed the stairs and reached the door, you find another notice which says: "Closed on Wednesdays".

Normally I am a kind and gentle person, but I would like to find the person responsible for this and (to borrow a phrase from Pulp Fiction) get to work on him with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

To all of those out there , resident in France , and forever 'bashing ' the french and their culture, administration, and even ,yesterday, their coffee !  Let me suggest that the 'Administrations '  are  the same the world over, if you still think that the UK is paradise, then the answer is simple.'Bxxxxx ' off back. 

For future would be 'ex pats ' a word of warning ,France is not the UK with cheap housing . And please  if you do come over never ever say 'but  we don't do that in England '

A last  word , not  everybody , in France , speaks English indeed why should they ?  Would you expect every ,butcher , baker ,vet , doctor in the UK to speak french ?

[quote user="red"]suggest you read again the first posting under this heading 'insanity in action '[/quote]

Well I read it again and I can't see that it justifies your response in any way.

The OP was asking if it is stupid or not to have two signs relating  "opening hours" with different messages. Yep, that's stupid and it doesn't matter whether it's in France or anywhere else - it's still pretty stupid.

Nowhere did the OP suggest this was a perculiarly French problem, nowhere did he suggest that the "UK is paradise", nowhere did he suggest that all French people should speak English.

Perhaps it's you that need to re-read the OP's post.

Richard T

[quote user="red"]To all of those out there , resident in France , and forever 'bashing ' the french and their culture, administration, and even ,yesterday, their coffee !  Let me suggest that the 'Administrations '  are  the same the world over, if you still think that the UK is paradise, then the answer is simple.'Bxxxxx ' off back. 

For future would be 'ex pats ' a word of warning ,France is not the UK with cheap housing . And please  if you do come over never ever say 'but  we don't do that in England '

A last  word , not  everybody , in France , speaks English indeed why should they ?  Would you expect every ,butcher , baker ,vet , doctor in the UK to speak french ?[/quote]

Complete waste of time response to a legitimate rant from a regular contributor.  If that's the best you can offer, then (to use your phrase) Bxxxxxx off.

I apologise , did'nt realise that the legitamacy of a comment was dependant upon being a regular contributor.

Perhaps I have'nt been in France long enough to understand how the forum operates

[quote user="red"]

Perhaps I have'nt been in France long enough to understand how the forum operates

[/quote]

OK, red I'll explain how this and any other forum works:

Someone posts a comment, other contributors post a response (read slowy this is the important bit) to the posters comments

Just for clairity:

• No one said everyone should speak french (you will actually find that most contributors have a good grasp of the language)

• No one said France was the UK with cheap housing

• No one knows why you went off on a rant, come on give us a clue...

The legitimacy of a comment depends, to a great extent, on the relevence of the comment. Its not related to how long you have been in France or even being in France at all. Neither is it related to how regular a contributor you are.

Your sarcasm is mis placed.

Back to the original theme? - this kind of thoughtlessness just seems to be human nature.  I treasure the story of a Benefits Office (I think) in England a while ago. They were proud of their signage in Braille: to keep it pristine they covered each sign with perspex........

Red, I promise you it wasn't an anti-French rant, it was an anti-stupidity rant.  I have lived in eight different countries and I think I could report similar examples from all of them; the CPAM in Marmande just happened to be the most recent that I saw.

Also, of course, it just happened to be Wednesday when I went there.  If I had gone on Tuesday, this thread might never have happened.

Perhaps it was the same chap who ran the EDF sub-office in Falaise. 

The published opening times were Monday and Friday afternoons only.  I turned up on a Friday only to see stuck next to the opening hours in the window "Fermé exceptionnellement vendredi". 

It wasn't until I turned up again the next Friday (Monday was inconvenient) that I realised that the fermé exceptionnellement was on a piece of paper every bit as old, wrinkled and faded as the Horaires, they never had been open on a Friday.  [:'(]

Phil and Pat, that sounds just like our boulangerie. 

They were "fermé exceptionnellement" so often that I even began to wonder if there was a second, lesser known translation for exceptionnellement, that meant often [8-)]

admin is the same all over - apart that it's much worse in France!  Are you like my husband though - moan moan moan but doesn't actually DO something about it! Hope you have telephoned or written to said admin, quitetly and politely (yeah i know it's hard) to ask them to make signs re opening times more explicit in view of difficulty of access. It's good to vent off here - but ...     

[quote user="odile"]Are you like my husband though - moan moan moan but doesn't actually DO something about it! [/quote]

Mine was a rant; I'm not sure whether that's technically the same as a moan. 

However, it's a fair point and I accept the challenge.   I undertake to write to the CPAM office in question and report on the reply, if any.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="allanb"]I undertake to write to the CPAM office in question and report on the reply, if any.[/quote]

I was hoping to provide a satisfactory conclusion to this story, with the CPAM sending a grovelling apology for their stupidity in putting the sign (about the Wednesday closure) in the wrong place.

Well, sorry, but I can't.  I was a bit slow in starting work on my letter, and in the meantime they put up a copy of the sign at ground level, where it is of some use.

I suppose I could still write and say "Why didn't you do that in the first place, dummy?" but I don't think it would do much for the entente cordiale, so I won't.

[quote] Perhaps it was the same chap who ran the EDF sub-office in Falaise. 
The published opening times were Monday and Friday afternoons only.  I turned up on a Friday only to see stuck next to the opening hours in the window "Fermé exceptionnellement vendredi". 
It wasn't until I turned up again the next Friday (Monday was inconvenient) that I realised that the fermé exceptionnellement was on a piece of paper every bit as old, wrinkled and faded as the Horaires, they never had been open on a Friday.  [:'(]
[/quote]

The office de tourisme in my local town is open all day sans interruption (according to the horaires d'ouverture) except for 21/2 hours every lunchtime when the "fermeture exceptionelle" sign is once again  put up.

It has been like this every day for the last 4 years.