French Revolution execution records go online

milkeybar kid

An excellent programme.  I thought the parallels with Hitler, Stalin etc regarding the use of state terror very interesting.  Tracing the evolution of the Committee for Public Safety's thinking using various speeches shows how increasingly remote and cut off from reality they became and how easily they turned towards the idea of killing people who merely "looked" as if they did not support the government.

[quote user="Bugbear"]That program was certainly an eye-opener. I always thought (school teachings) it was simply the 'peasants' revolt against the rich and had no idea that the 'witch-hunt' was so widespread and intense.[/quote]

It wasn't called "The Terror" for nothing.[:)]  At school we were taught about.

There were repercussions in other parts of France too - eg the Vendée.

The peasants rebelled against the Revolutionary Government and up to 400,000 were brutally slaughtered.

Tag has written a book about it.

[quote user="Weegie"][quote user="Bugbear"]That program was certainly an eye-opener. I always thought (school teachings) it was simply the 'peasants' revolt against the rich and had no idea that the 'witch-hunt' was so widespread and intense.[/quote]

It wasn't called "The Terror" for nothing.[:)]  At school we were taught about.
[/quote]

Yes, that's true.  However, most people seem to think The Terror was about chopping the heads off aristos, rather than a general Terror against the whole population.

By the way, next week's programme is about Louis XIV and the building of Versailles.