Village gathering

trastu

Hi everyone

We have been invited to the yearly village gathering at someones home in the village. This will be the first time we have been to such a gathering. Is it likely to be a buffet where everyone contributes something to it - we don't want to offend anyone or embarrass ourselves by doing the wrong thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Tracey

It is a difficult social problem - I take brightly coloured beads, super bouncy balls and biros. Though what the French really seem to appreciate are large very noisy fire-crackers the Indian ones that produce five hundred or a thousand big bangs are the best - if you cannot get these jumping jacks enliven the evening. Do not take defrocked clowns or dwarves - I did and it left a bad taste in my mouth for some time after - although it could have been the pastis, it is all a bit hazy now...

Let us know what tactics you use and how the evening went - bon chance.

[quote user="Dog"]

It is a difficult social problem - I take brightly coloured beads, super bouncy balls and biros. Though what the French really seem to appreciate are large very noisy fire-crackers the Indian ones that produce five hundred or a thousand big bangs are the best - if you cannot get these jumping jacks enliven the evening. Do not take defrocked clowns or dwarves - I did and it left a bad taste in my mouth for some time after - although it could have been the pastis, it is all a bit hazy now...

Let us know what tactics you use and how the evening went - bon chance.

[/quote]

I wouln't mind a pint of whatever Dog is on.

[quote user="trastu"]

We have been invited to the yearly village gathering at someones home in the village. This will be the first time we have been to such a gathering.[/quote]

What kind of invite did you receive? If a written one are there any clues on it? Is there a tel: number on there you can ring for advice? Do you know anyone well enough to ring them for further info?

Sue

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies. We have just come back from the gathering and wanted to say how absolutely brilliant it was. Everyone from the village was there. At first we had an apperatif and afterwards we all sat down at two huge tables in the barn and had a meal of cold meat and salad and lots of homemade wine. A really lovely french lady took us under her wing and introduced us to everyone and even though my french isn't too bad she endeavoured to make sure we understood everything that was being said. The atmosphere was fantastic and although everyone had quite a lot of wine there was no rowdiness, everyone was so friendly and made us feel so welcome. The children were so well mannered and their behaviour was impeccable. For us it is this kind of community spirit that makes living in France so wonderful. We ended up taking some wine and food to contribute.

All in all an absolutely wonderful afternoon spent with some of the nicest people you could want to meet.

It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself and no embarassing moments with clowns or dwarves.

I detest rowdiness just so unbritish - have the villagers invited you to the 'church' or the village bonfire that's were the real action takes place - well out of the way, usually in the woods in the early hours of the morning.

When you get to know them better I have some more handy tips to make the day go with a bang...

It is rather late to reply to this, however, I would suggest that when one is in doubt about the proper form, what is expected, etc; the sensible thing to do is ask (appropriate questions to apposite people)It avoids a lot of stress and builds bridges between us all. Mmmmm....eau de vie.........[:)]

You could cook a typical cake from your country, you can propose it ! it can be appreciated from French to taste ! Or if you prefer to cook more "frenchie", you can bring a "quiche aux lardons", or a chocolate cake, or a salad...If I had invited you, I would have liked to discover something new!

Yes, quite obviously the sensible thing would have been to ask one of the villagers what was expected but since my understanding of french is way behind my spoken french I probably would have been none the wiser and so decided to ask on the forum.

The village is quite small but the gathering was held in a huge barn belonging to the son of the local farmer.

Our hamlet, which is a sort of suburb of the village had just such a do a couple of weeks ago. It was very well organised. A flyer was put into the post box inviting us and telling us we should bring an entree or a desert and our couvert(sp). I took a trifle which seemed to go down well. The organisers supplied the main course and salads etc and divided up the cost between the adults who attended. It was a lovely way to get to know people and they were all very friendly. There were about 50 people in all including ados and children and we were the only  non French.