Drink

Teamedup

I don't know how hot it is in other parts of France, but it is very hot here.

My problem is, as someone who hates drinking water, what to drink.

I drink a lot of tea, hot or cold in this weather. I love Super U's own iced tea mango and passion flavour, although the peach iced teas are quite nice too. My water exception is that I will have the odd Vichy Fraise, and the odd Monaco slides down nicely too. Husband asked if I wanted  a glass of wine tonight and I just could not face one at all.

So what is your poison when it is hot?

I also do not like to drink  water, but by the same token do not drink more than one cup of coffee per day and only occasionaly take a cup of tea. Trying to keep my weight stable and look after my teeth I do not drink pop either.

When I was pregnant both times I had an incurable thirst and found that fizzy water hit the spot like nothing else!

We buy eau minerale naturelle , yesterday we saw off a 6x1.25 ltr pack.

TU have you tried the Tressaire(sp)  pamplemouse......it is so refreshing with ice and I even made it into ice lollies for the girls.

The air feels much more fresh today here...not like the sauna coditions of late.

Mrs O

I always think that the fizzy water has a slightly salty taste, which is more refreshing and may replace some of the salt lost by sweating. I did see someone at a meeting this week pour himself some elderflower cordial and top it up with fizzy water - must have tasted strange. I tried it in pastis once - just once.

That said, however, it is very humid here (England) at the moment and I have a bottle of Normandy cider in the fridge. It is sending out a telepathic message, saying 'drink me', so I shall.

[quote]I don't know how hot it is in other parts of France, but it is very hot here. My problem is, as someone who hates drinking water, what to drink. I drink a lot of tea, hot or cold in this weather. ...[/quote]

What you need is un citron pressé !

A long tall drink glass, squeeze in the juice of a whole lemon, few ice cubes, top up with either eau gazeuse ou eau plate (still or sparkling water) and some sugar to taste. For better effect keep your glass, water and lemons in the fridge then it cools you down as you prepare it...

All in the mind my OH tells me!!

and may I ask who keeps his gin & tonic bottles in the fridge, year round..?..

Oui, Citron Pressé! I had almost forgotten it.  When we used to live in Paris and every time we stopped in a café when it was hot, I had a citron pressé; it's true when you are thirsty there is nothing like it.

Failing that, R---'s lime juice cordial with a lot of water is second best and I also like pamplemousse rose (pink grapefruit) - that is, when there is not a nice cold bottle of Rosé in the fridge 

[quote]I don't know how hot it is in other parts of France, but it is very hot here. My problem is, as someone who hates drinking water, what to drink. I drink a lot of tea, hot or cold in this weather. ...[/quote]

5 lemons roughly chopped into cubes

250g sugar (or more if you have a sweet tooth)

¼ l water

Put the lot into a liquidiser and blend until reduced to a messy pulp. Strain through a sieve and bottle...

Your very own lemonade base to mix with fizzy water and ice cubes...

Clair

Oui, Citron Pressé! I had almost forgotten it.  When we used to live in Paris and every time we stopped in a café when it was hot, I had a citron pressé; it's true when you are thirsty there is nothing like it.

If you think it's wonderful if in Paris, Christine, try it this time of year in India.  Fresh lime soda (nimbu pani) literally reaches the parts no other drink can when it's 45+ degrees.  Not only rehydrating, it refreshes your brain and gives you a sudden, quite powerful boost of energy, it's a miracle drink.  Try making a sugar syrup by melting sugar in water over a gentle heat, stir continuously.  This can then be kept in the fridge to be used as required.  Be careful though if adding carbonated water as the sugar tends to make the concoction over fizz.  The higher the concentration of citrus to water, the bigger the boost.  And limes do give a better flavour than plain lemons.  For a change, add a glug of ginger ale (fresh or bottled) with perhaps a slash of grenadine.  Just as delicious, even more refreshing.  M

[quote]MWJ you mean you are in India, right at this very moment in time? Do you live there or you are on holiday? I have always wanted to go to India, I have a thing about that country. Christine[/quote]

So did I have a thing about India!!... until I went there last Xmas on my way to the far East to visit my daughter there!

The Nimbu Pani quoted was indeed very refreshing! so was the Masala Chai I was given one day which is black tea with cardomoms, ginger, cloves and cinnamon all infused together in boiling hot water. Pour a cup and squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime. It really does refresh the mind, the body and everything else!

As to India...nah! Never again! If you want to know I'll carry on privately on your Email address...

I did see someone at a meeting this week pour himself some elderflower cordial and top it up with fizzy water - must have tasted strange.

But that's *delicious* Dick!  Why should it taste strange?  Well, perhaps if you topped up with horrid, salty Badoit.  But with something pretty tasteless like Perrier, Highland Spring and so on it's even better than with "eau plate".

Angela