SALAD DRESSING - HELP

Yvonne

Hi,

This may sound to most like a really basic problem. I can and do cook many different things but when it comes to making my own sald dressing (the freench way as opposed to balsamic vinegar and stuff) I really just cannot get it right.

I've tried different oils, different vinegars, mustard, no mustard, garlic, no garlic etc etc....

Anyone I ask just says 'oh you know, you just kind of throw it all in.....' I've tried that and it doesn't work for me!

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe that they would be happy to share with me? I hate using bought dressing but at the moment its my only option!!

Thanks in anticipation of delicious salads.

Abi

This is my basic recipe, well I do it au pif, but I can tell you what I do.

A level tablespoon of dijon mustard in a bowl. Then I start beating this with a whisk as I start dribbling in about a tablespoon of olive oil. When this is beaten in I start dribbling in sunflower oil, beating all the time as I keep dribbling and eventually it goes very thick and looks a little like mayonnaise. Then I beat in a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and a tiny dash. Then I taste it. May need a little more vinegar at this point, or could be about perfect. As it is really thick I stir in a little hot water to thin it down a bit.

That is the standard. I play with it, by adding herbs and or garlic. I use balsamic, I use lemon juice what ever I feel like. I spoon as much as I think is necessary onto my salad and toss.

Not everyone puts mustard in.  I do.  Really, for well coating lettuce leaves the oil/vinegar mix is best as it is a bit thick using mustard.

Virtually the same as TU but I first mix the mustard, the cider/red wine vinegar and lots of salt and pepper then I add the oil.  It becomes really thick.

Not too much vinegar....

I make salad dressing same as Teamedup and Alexis, but usually add a teaspoon of honey. Keep in a screwtop jar and shake well before use. There's another type I make sometimes which is thicker and good with fish. I think I got it from the Elizabeth David book. Beat up some raw egg yolks and add mustard, melted butter and lots of chopped fresh herbs such as parsley chives,mint etc. and refrigerate. Pat.

Thanks for this. I have obviously  been doing it wrong!  Now things should improve.  I have the basic ingredients as standard, but usually thrown in a teaspoon of honey and dash balsamic in.  I like it this way and so do others, but I guess it know will improve. Must try it.

Tell you whats nice. Raspberry vinagre, very nice with goats cheese and some good leaves!

Deby

That as I said, is my base recipe. I play with it, but it is very good on it's own too.

How I play depends on what I am serving it with  ie swopping the olive oil for walnut oil if the salad has walnuts in it. Or using a little tuna juice instead of water to thin it a bit if I'm doing a niçoise.

The only thing I'm not keen on is using cidre vinaiger as it hasn't got enough tartiness as far as I am concerned.

If you enjoy that salad dressing, then try this.

About half a box of lentils, the grey or green ones, wash them and boil as per instructions (including some salt in the water) until soft. Whilst they are cooking make up the vinaigrette but leave it thick. Chop a small onion finely and mix in with the vinaigrette. When the lentils are cooked drain them and mix into the vinaigrette immediately. This can be eaten hot or cold. It looks, well it looks very unappetising and tastes wonderful.

I'm surprised that you all seem to store your vinegrette for what, a few days?

We never seem to have much left and I make a bol full every time but like I said, we prefer it freshly made.  I find that the fridge does it no favours at all.

Just off to start dinner....bit hot though!

I always add one or two beef or vegetable bouillon cubes (which I melt in a bit of hot water ) to the mustard, oil and vinegar and a crushed garlic. To make a richer dressing, say for potato salad, I add two or three spoons of mayonnaise, put it all in a jar and this keeps at least a week in the fridge.