walnuts!!

cary

Have a lovely big walnut tree in our garden.  Does anyone know when to pick the walnuts and how long they take to dry out??  Were not sure so thought i'de rack the brains of the living france forum!!  Thanks

Just let them drop off the tree. Take any outer skin off and make sure that they are dry before storing. Some people knock the tree with a stick to make the nuts drop but it is not really neccessary.

There is an old English saying

A woman, a dog and a walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be.

Not very PC!

Yes, they will drop off in a couple of weeks.  You have to collect them daily.  Well, we do.

Watch out for the stain when the outer casing splits.  You will have lovely brown hands.

We dry them on racks to let the air circulate.

And never eat one

[quote]Yes, they will drop off in a couple of weeks. You have to collect them daily. Well, we do. Watch out for the stain when the outer casing splits. You will have lovely brown hands. We dry them on r...[/quote]

>>Watch out for the stain when the outer casing...<<

If you have some furniture with slight scratches, rub this casing over the scratch, then with soft cloth rub some bee's wax over it and it will make the scratch disappear.

It is how furniture restorers do it. Saves you the expense of tinted waxes etc...

so they should be ready to eat just in time for christmas??  Will watch for mine to fall, didn't move here til December last year and there weren't any on the floor so i reckon someone came and collected them all!!

I find them really nice to eat when fresh - but don't eat too many fresh ones in one sitting. I sat eating them steadily throughout one evening and couldn't venture far from the lavatory the next day

Next year, pick some before the end of June and pickle them - delicious (especially with some strong Cheddar...)! This absolutely has to be done when they are soft, when a needle can easily be passed through, they're disgusting if left too late. Having done them for years, I've finally worked out a recipe that isn't too sour, which is what puts many people off.

Can second the use of the potato bags, have some waiting for this year's crop, huge tree, laden this year.

Jo

You will know when they are ready when the green pods split open and they fall to the ground, rather like chestnuts  or you see the French going round bashing and shaking trees, probably a couple of weeks to go yet depending on your region.  The black ones on the tree or ground have rotted skins, usually due to wet conditions, so may not be too many this year

As posted earlier, the black skinned walnuts have not ripened before the skin has rotted and should be treated with care, they need to be dried out.  Also as Alexis said earlier these can stain the skin, good for furniture restoration but very very  difficult to get off the skin, so get those marigolds out if picking up and opening windfalls.  There is no problem with eating fresh new walnuts that have split from the pod, they are ripe, and the good thing is that you can keep them for a long long time in dry conditions without deterioration