Oatmeal / Farine d'Avoine

Has anyone ever come across this being sold retail? I've seen it on

lists of ingredients in packed foodstuffs, but never on the shelf.

Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for turning rolled

(porridge) oats or whole grain oats into meal? My attempts using a

coffee mill have proved interestingly messy but have failled to

generate a usable product.

Having searched all over the place for it and made endless enquiries we gave up years ago and have it brought over from the UK in quantity. I guess it depends on how much you use,  I have it as part of my breakfast mix so it's worth getting someone to bring it, along with the Brazil nuts which are also unknown in France it seems.

Chris

[quote user="jond"]Has anyone ever come across this being sold retail? I've seen it on lists of ingredients in packed foodstuffs, but never on the shelf. Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for turning rolled (porridge) oats or whole grain oats into meal? My attempts using a coffee mill have proved interestingly messy but have failled to generate a usable product.
[/quote]

Several years ago we bought a flour mill. It stands about 10 inches high and about 5 square. I can't remember the name, but it's German made. We use whole oats and use the course setting and we have the best porrige I have ever had. Just the job for the cold Aude mornings... On the fine setting it produces lovely complete flour. Not a cheap bit of kit, but looks good because the case is heavy beech wood and it works wonderfully well. Now where'z me kilt?[H]

John.

Our local LeClerc (Carpentras) and Auchan (Le Pontet) carry

Oatmeal.  They carry the American brand and a European

brand.  They also carry the Farine d' Avoine.  So do our

several BIO stores in Carpentras.  They also have Mollasses

(someone else was asking about that somewhere on here).  Don't

know why the other  regions wouldn't carry it.  Its been

around here ever since I have.....

I have been looking for oatmeal too.  No luck.

I did see some real maple syrup yesterday in Leclerc at Nantes.

It was in English with French 'sub-titles' so it must have been the real McCoy.

Leclerc's range of flour is excellent and I have been trying different ones in my bread making.   (In Nantes I should say, not locally.)

Chris pp - Brazil nuts have been available here for years and years and I always buy mine (unsalted) in pre-packed sachets from the section in LeClerc where they keep the dried fruits/nuts/olives etc near to the fruit and veg section. Can't remember the name but it sounds German and they do other fruits and nuts too. You won't find loose brazils about currently because of the toxins that were discovered in Brazil,I believe, when they were harvesting the nuts a year or so ago,perhaps someone else has info on this.

Val_2, you amaze me, Leclerc is not a shop I would go to very often as we don't have one close by. I have gone in and out of just about every other supermarket, fruit market, bio shop etc sample in hand and have always been meet with a blank shrug, you know the one!!

Thanks, Chris

What are you going to do with this flour? As I said I use my electric blender to make mine. It goes as fine as any ordinary flour you could buy if you do a little at a time. And a nutrionist friend assured me that it didn't lose any of its properties when I do this.

I use it for a very very quick porrige, more or less just thicken the hot milk(I prefer it made with milk) with it and simmer for a minute or two, we often have it like this when camping as it doesn't leave a pan that is hard to clean and is very quick to make.

I put the some in my bread, I've used it to thicken certain sauces, even some in soup.  

[quote user="Teamedup"]

What are you going to do with this flour? As

I said I use my electric blender to make mine. It goes as fine as any

ordinary flour you could buy if you do a little at a time. And a

nutrionist friend assured me that it didn't lose any of its properties

when I do this.

I use it for a very very quick porrige, more or less just

thicken the hot milk(I prefer it made with milk) with it and simmer for

a minute or two, we often have it like this when camping as it doesn't

leave a pan that is hard to clean and is very quick to make.

I put the some in my bread, I've used it to thicken certain sauces, even some in soup.  

[/quote]

Mostly to make biscuit. Oatmeal gives a paticular crumbly texture to

sweet biscuits that is hard to get otherwise. Also, we have a homemade

raspbery cheesecake on our menu in the summer that would benefit from

having a lighter base - oatmeal is good for that too. Uncivilised brute

that I am, I prefer rolled oats for poridge and these, of course, are

easily available.

[quote user="jond"]Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try milling whole-grain oats in the blender again - I buy them in quantity to add to the hens' ration and I'm sure that they won't miss the odd kilo. Jonzjob - if by chance you can recall the name of your mill I'd be grateful to know it as it sounds ideal.
[/quote]

Hi Jond,

Have a look at this site http://www.wolfgangmill.com/ I knew when I saw the name that it was German, but how wrong can you be. It is from the good old US of A. Joking aside (don't want to upset any of our trans Atlantic cousins do I [6]?) it is a very good machine, easy  to clean and well made. We haven't used it much since we've been here, to busy sorting ourselves out, but that rough milled oats make the best porridge I have had. We make it the proper way [8-)] with water and salt! No wimps here [:P]. Sorry TU.

John.

[:)] I know what I like, quite simply.

You have made me wonder for those of you who like your porridge made with water and salt on it, how do you take your fromage blanc? My friend always adds a touch a salt and a good sprinkle of pepper.... each to their own........ gourmande that I am I take it with cream, sugar and coulis de framboise if available.

I really like caillé, either on it's own or with fruit. It reminds me of the junket I had as a likkle boy. Yum, yum! I don't think I could handle the salt/pepper combination though.

You don't put the salt on the porrige, it goes into the cooking, then I have milk on it after otherwise I can't get the spoon into it. The other thing I love is 'lait ribot'. When we first found it we thought that it was raw milk and found out that it tastes broddy awful in tea [+o(]! For those wot ain't seen it it is fermented milk, tasts sour and is slightly thick. It is wonderful on cake!!!

John (jus wee's a gormay too)

P.S. I think that we should let the thred become un-hyjaqued soon?[:$]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

. The other thing I love is 'lait ribot'. When we first found it we thought that it was raw milk and found out that it tastes broddy awful in tea [+o(]! For those wot ain't seen it it is fermented milk, tasts sour and is slightly thick. It is wonderful on cake!!!

[/quote]

In the U.S., at least, this is what we call buttermilk.  I can't drink the stuff, but it's great for using in recipes.

R

Having searched all over the place for it and made endless enquiries we gave up years ago and have it brought over from the UK in quantity. I guess it depends on how much you use,  I have it as part of my breakfast mix so it's worth getting someone to bring it, along with the Brazil nuts which are also unknown in France it seems.

Chris

As has been mentioned, b
razil nuts are known as Noix d'Amazonie (Bertholletia excelsa), Noix du Para or Noix du Brésil.

http://www.supertoinette.com/fiches_recettes/fiche_noix_bresil.htm

You can buy packs of organic Brazil nuts online from:

http://www.monmarchand.com/ar_detail.php?ar_id=1035

Hope this helps, sorry to hijack the Oatmeal/Farine d'Avoine thread.