Buying Meat...

Afy

Wierd question, but I need to buy large quantities of meat at the lowest rate. I do know that this might not be the most appropriate forum for this, but you never know until you try.

Essentially I am willing to buy half a cow at a time, or half a pig. I do need this to feed my dogs, so it doesnt matter if the meat is not certified for human consumption. Though human consumption certification would help, since that way I could eat it as well...

Thank you in advance for ideas...

[quote user="Afy"]Wierd question, but I need to buy large quantities of meat at the lowest rate. I do know that this might not be the most appropriate forum for this, but you never know until you try. Essentially I am willing to buy half a cow at a time, or half a pig. I

do need this to feed my dogs, so it doesnt matter if the meat is not

certified for human consumption. Though human consumption certification

would help, since that way I could eat it as well... Thank you in advance for ideas...[/quote]

Try contacting your local slaughterhouse (abattoir in French). They'll know who's slaughtering what and for what purpose.

Failing that, come to an arrangement with a local farmer, they often split carcasses for a good price. Just tell them what and how much you you need.

Your local butcher might be a good starting point too...

I'm sorry Christine , didn't mean to upset you.[U][G][:'(][:$]

I wouldn't have suggested this in the UK but they do munch horses here and really thought it would solve his doggy problem.

I shall go an stand in the corner;

[quote user="Afy"]Horse is not an option. I dont feed my doggies anything I wouldnt eat. I do appreciate the suggestion, however horses are for riding not eating...IMHO[/quote]

I would be careful then if you are eating meat not fit for human consumption as stated in your first post.[+o(]. You might have to scoop the poop a bit more than you think [;)]

Doubtless in common with others our local Leclerc etc all have a small section of the counter devoted to meat for animals. Having no need I have never looked closely to see origin, type etc but just wonder whether it is specially bought in or has had to be condemned as unfit for us to eat ?

BTW I am very confused as to why most people will happily eat piglet, bunny, chick, lamb, calf etc but proclaim horror at the suggestion of eating kitten, puppy or foal.

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

BTW I am very confused as to why most people will happily eat piglet, bunny, chick, lamb, calf etc but proclaim horror at the suggestion of eating kitten, puppy or foal.

[/quote]

Lol I presume you're veggie....

BTW the stuff sold for animals in Lclerec is rubbish. Bones mostly and fat.

[quote user="Iceni"]

Doubtless in common with others our local Leclerc etc all have a small section of the counter devoted to meat for animals. Having no need I have never looked closely to see origin, type etc but just wonder whether it is specially bought in or has had to be condemned as unfit for us to eat ?

[/quote]

Most of the time it seems to be lung and other bits of offal which are unacceptable even to the French palate. I suspect the reason you don't see this in the UK is that it ends up in hamburgers and sausages.