Recipe of the week

Jo53

Just had to share with everyone the delicious recipe tip in a booklet that came with some Madrange jambon cuit.

Mousse au foie a l'Indienne

Take some mousse au foie (liver pate). Mix it with a teaspoon of garam masala and two teaspoons of marmalade. Spread on bread. Miam, miam!! That authentic Indian taste ...

I thought I'd gone into a time warp and was reading a 1970 issue of Family Circle.

Jo

[quote user="Teamedup"]

Did you try this? Or just didn't like the sound of it.

[/quote]

No, I think I will give it a miss. I just had to post it as is so unbelievably bad - you can imagine it in a sketch show ripping off a 1970s TV cook introducing the latest sophisticated idea for your buffet.

Jo, I came across a recipe recently that I think I posted ages and ages ago.  It was just too hideous for words, but had that same 1970s dinner party feel about it.

It involved emptied-out egg shells with the top sliced off.  You replace the top with special hand-made pastry hats.  Inside the main part of the egg shell you put a mixture of frogs legs and onions in a creamy sauce.  Oh yes, and you sit each egg up in a scooped-out potato. 

It was truly bizarre.   I think it would be fun to have a Bad Taste French Food party. [:)]

Heres a little one from the Granny Faddock edition.

Ingredients

2 cups of black caterpillars

2 large opinions cut into 2 hundred pieces

2 breeze blocks ....er sorry ytong blocks....(actually either will do)

1business plan

2 gallons Langdoc guiness or red water will do if this is not readily available

500g Tiresome thread pasta.

Hullabaloo cheese

1 Russethouse apple

1 Chesterfield

Method

Take the blocks and squish the caterpillars into a stickleback paste.  Place in an ovenproof hareem and place on the stove.  Rip up the businessplan and add.  Pour over the guiness mix together until turgid and bring to the boil.  Add 200 opinion pieces and stir into a big rumpus dont let this worry you because it should soon settle down.  If after 24 hours it is still a boiling rumpus and it is making a mess on your labyrinth add a whole russethouse apple to the mixture and it should settle nicely.  However make sure the apple is the sweet variety as this has more effect that the bitter.

Serve at room temparature with tiresome thread pasta sprinkled with hulabaloo cheese and some chesterfield.

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

It involved emptied-out egg shells with the top sliced off.  You replace the top with special hand-made pastry hats.  Inside the main part of the egg shell you put a mixture of frogs legs and onions in a creamy sauce.  Oh yes, and you sit each egg up in a scooped-out potato. 

[/quote]

[+o(][+o(][+o(]

BTW, KKK, if you want to be snide, why not start your own thread?

Wow Jo53,

I've only just seen it, and I thought it was very funny, but then I mostly get Ms Kats sense of humour.

I take it you dont?

By the way that recipe you posted, I wouldn't have tried it either, I just know sometimes.[:)]

Edit: Kat nicked the sticleback paste bit from Me!. That's not funny, that was my real life story[6]

Well I don't know. The times I have tried recipes that looked full of promise and I have imagined them being exquisite and they have been tres ordinaire or worse still horrible. So I look at something like that and it might be OK.

The thing that gets me is, exactly where would your average french person buy garam marsala, there is none in any of the supermarkets around here.

La Vie Pratique Gourmand this week has a recipe for cucumber stuffed with goat's cheese and a little flower on top, and a rosti nest with quail's eggs in it...

Also a picture of a simpering model using a full-on chef's knife to cut a strawberry in half in such a way as to endanger her beautifully manicured finger-ends.

If you have a copy - what was Cyril Lignac doing when they took the picture on p12 for heaven's sake?

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Sorry Jo53 I just thought that you made your recipe up and thought I would do one too.  I honestly did not realise people still read 1970's cookery books.  It would be great fun if you posted another one.[/quote]

And what’s wrong with 1970's cook books?

Most of the top chefs are just using recopies that are so old people have forgotten about them. Some books are so old they have lovely things like roast swan, sautéed pike and alike. Mrs Beaton even tells you how to deal with staff and even get rid of unwanted visitors; I wonder what she would make of the internet.

The only advantage modern chefs have is that many items are easier to get hold of in the UK but that means they grow away from traditional English cooking which is superb compared to French.

If you want to do some French cooking yourself you might try getting a copy of French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David originally published in 1960 when she stayed in Toulouse. It also explains cuts of meat which often confuse the English as they are totally different.

I have quite a few Delia books and notice that quite a few recipes in the newer books are the same as her 70s versions but that she uses creme fraiche rather than cream etc, other than that it's still the 70s but without the flares.[Www] Good food, wherever it comes from doesn't go out of fashion.

[quote user="Quillan"]

If you want to do some French cooking yourself you might try getting a copy of French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David originally published in 1960 when she stayed in Toulouse. It also explains cuts of meat which often confuse the English as they are totally different.

[/quote]

Errrr Sorry can't hang around chit chatting just popping out for a kebab.

Oh and Quillan, while we are on the subject of swans please confirm whether one of my french mates was winding be up when I was in your neck of the woods the other day.  You know that lake or inlet on your left as you drive into Perpignon, well I was told the flamingoes there are protected but their meat is delish but if anybody is caught eating a flamingo they go straight to jail.  However, he told me there are guys about who are still partial to a nibble.  vrai ou faux?

He was right to a degree in as much as you don't go to prison for eating them. It's a bit like drinking and driving in France nobody bothers. There is an excellent restaurant near Narbonne that serves them (there is the same sort of salt water lake and they get Pink Flamingos, same at Perpignan) at a place called Bages. We went there as guests of the Narbonne Rugby club and tried it, very nice, especially when washed down with a bottle or two of Rose wine of course (that’s why they invented it). They stuff them with herbs and acorns which I always thought were poisonous but obviously not.

The also do their own snails you can pick them out and decide which type of stuffing you want. They stuff themselves (snails that is) they keep them in box’s with a mesh floor and don’t feed them for a week or to so they purge then you decide on the stuffing and they throw it in the box and they eat it. Thirty minutes latter snails with a stuffing of your choice, fantastic.

Do they cook much in Wales, do they have any strange culinary delights?

[quote user="Jo53"]

Just had to share with everyone the delicious recipe tip in a booklet that came with some Madrange jambon cuit.

Mousse au foie a l'Indienne

Take some mousse au foie (liver pate). Mix it with a teaspoon of garam masala and two teaspoons of marmalade. Spread on bread. Miam, miam!! That authentic Indian taste ...

[/quote]

That is about as authentic Indian as I am Santa Claus...