Tomato glut

Cassis

Had a look at the list of recipes and they don't give one for making tomato jam!

It's yummy with cold meat or on thick slices of toasted bread spread with garlic butter....

Cut tomatoes in chunks, add sugar, juice from a couple of lemons and boil away as per traditional jam.

I sometime add chillies (deseeded as much as possible) and fresh coriander or other indian spices and it makes it like a chutney.

Ah, chutney!  Wait till the end of the season when the toms that are left won't ripen.  Cue pungent, eye-watering vapours from the kitchen.[:-))]

We're going to look for another secondhand freezer this week as ours are now full to bursting with beans, carrots and peas, Christine.

How long does it take for them to dry, Opas?  Is there a minimum temperature required?  Do you then just whack them in a jar of olive oil?

I have promised Jude I will only grow 1 or 2 courgette plants next year.  6 is far too many!  How is it that no matter how carefully I pick them clean today, yet when I go back in a day or two there will always be a couple the size of marrows?

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Hope you don't get an electricity cut Cassis!  

[/quote]

Funny you should say that - we had one this week after a thunderstorm!  Why is it that France is so much more prone to cuts than the UK?  Is it all the overhead lines that make it more vulnerable?

I nearly did add the tuna, but thought it would be too rich for you !

The dried tomatoes are a good idea Opas, I've only ever bought them in pots, it seems a bit complicatd to get them just right though :

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sundriedrecipe.htm

but you can do so many things with them, how about a cake :

Cake aux Tomates Séchées

It realy depends on the size of the tomatoes on how long they take to dry.

Our first batch look about 5 days, I only cut those in half, spread them on a tray and left them on out terrace which hits temps of 45, bring them in at dusk, as if they go damp they mould.

The second batch have only taken about 3/4 days as I cut these in thick slices (they were beef tomato sized)

Into a jar/pot with good olive oil and some sliced garlic.

Another lot to start tomorrow as my tomato eating neighbour has gone away for a fortnight so there will be far too many for me to eat........still I could always throw the rotten ones at my noisy neighbour[:)]

Thanks, Opas.

We've just found an outlet for all the leftover bread and croissants and pains au chocolat - next door's geese, ducks and hens love it so now we're just chucking all our scraps over the fence!

We were sitting outside at about 10.00pm last night when a family of hedgehogs passed through the terrace - one walked over Jude's feet.  They are the mystery visitors who've been polishing off the bird table scraps.

Do you think they eat courgettes?

Try this, slice and squash lightly salted slices of courgette under heavy weight to get rid of excess water, then lightly dry fry.

Layer with sliced tomato and grated cheese, gruyere  or cheddar , finish with cheese and parmesan then bake for 30 mins.

Its a really nice simply summer veggie dish.

[quote user="Cassis"]Thanks, Opas.

We've just found an outlet for all the leftover bread and croissants and pains au chocolat - next door's geese, ducks and hens love it so now we're just chucking all our scraps over the fence!

We were sitting outside at about 10.00pm last night when a family of hedgehogs passed through the terrace - one walked over Jude's feet.  They are the mystery visitors who've been polishing off the bird table scraps.

[/quote]

It is better if you soak the leftover bread etc in water for a short time before giving it to the birds - the hedgehogs will probably eat them too. Not sure about the courgettes though, but the hens might like them.

[quote user="Opas"]

Our first batch look about 5 days, I only cut those in half, spread them on a tray and left them on out terrace which hits temps of 45, bring them in at dusk, as if they go damp they mould.

The second batch have only taken about 3/4 days as I cut these in thick slices (they were beef tomato sized)

Another lot to start tomorrow as my tomato eating neighbour has gone away for a fortnight so there will be far too many for me to eat........still I could always throw the rotten ones at my noisy neighbour[:)]

[/quote]

Opas, How do you stop the birds 'messing' on your tomatoes ?

[quote user="Cassis"]Thanks, Opas.

[/quote]

I dont think the headehog would but the chickens would go mad for them thats where all my spare go...............Why dont you have a couple of chickens ? nothing nicer thab fresh laid eggs for breakfast

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Opas"]

[/quote]

Opas, How do you stop the birds 'messing' on your tomatoes ?

[/quote]

L`Outcast [:-))]

Seriously, I never even gave that a thought, but no poops on my tomatoes just pips!

• 2 weeks later...