Horse meat

Danny

I am certainly no expert so hopefully those in the know will contribute to this thread. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time at the moment to do a proper search, below is from a 30 second search on Google. But I have read time and time again the barbaric cruelty involved in the horse meat trade. Particularly in the live transportation of the horses.

Below is a link from the Canadian RSPCA, I believe. So you can only imagine what takes place here in France and Italy for this barbaric product.

The Belgians love a bit of horse tartare.  Gordon Ramsey (British "celebrity" chef) has tried serving it in his London restau too - strange for such a publicity-shy and retiring chap to do something so likely to get in the papers.

Duh, forgot the link.[:$]

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/equine_protection/get_the_facts_on_horse_slaughter.html

Just saw this as well and thought it interesting:

Posted

04-06-07 20:10
Hide Post

here are the facts from the Internation league for the Protection of Horses...............

Ten facts about the horsemeat trade:

1. Approximately 100,000 horses per year are currently being transported long-distances live for slaughter within Europe, which is totally unnecessary and inhumane and should be replaced with a carcase only trade.

2. Journey times are excessively long, with horses travelling 1,000’s of miles for days on end only to be slaughtered when they arrive at the destination. Journeys in extreme weather conditions of around 1,380 miles taking three days from Poland to Southern Italy are not uncommon and some are even longer.

3. Proportionately more horses are transported live for slaughter or further fattening than any other meat species, by a very large margin. Research indicates that 46% of the equine trade were transported live for slaughter or further fattening compared to 19.8% of the bovine (cattle) trade, 15.9% of ovine (sheep) trade, 13.3% of poultry trade and 10.3% of pig trade.

4. Due to inhumane conditions during transportation, some serious injuries occur and sadly horses still die in transit.

5. Demand for horse meat is highest in Italy, with 84% of live horses destined for slaughter entering into and moving across EU Member States travelling to Italy (by comparison 7% go to France and 5% to Belgium).

6. The countries supplying the most horse meat are Poland, Romania and Spain, with Lithuania, Belarus and Serbia also being involved in the trade.

7. There are currently no EU regulations about the labelling of horse meat as packaging indicates the location of slaughter, not source. Therefore consumers are unaware of the origin of the meat and are therefore unable to make welfare friendly choices.

8. Although the EU Transport Regulation has been updated this year the key issue remains, as before, that insufficient resources are allocated to enforcement within the Member States. There is evidence that in some Member States enforcement is extremely poor.

9. One of the greatest concerns to the ILPH is inadequate provision of food, water or rest and the fact that there is no overall limit to journey times.

10. There is a general decrease in the trade of horses for meat. Since in 2001 the number of horses transported live for slaughter in the EU has decreased from 165,000 to around 100,000. Do we want to see these statistics rise again?

So, if one wants to eat it, better to eat horse that you know has been well treated, like any other animal. There seems to be a huge amount of emotion involved in this subject and I do get the feeling that there is distinct lack of concern for the other animals who are consumed in vastly bigger quantities that horses. It is strange that no one gets too bothered about the chickens/ducks/pigs and others sold everywhere for consumption who are treated incredibly badly.

"Research indicates that 46% of the equine trade were transported live for slaughter or further fattening compared to 19.8% of the bovine (cattle) trade, 15.9% of ovine (sheep) trade, 13.3% of poultry trade and 10.3% of pig trade."

Statistics can be very misleading. There is no indication here of the actual amount of animals in each case. I would guess that for example the actual number of horses transported live must be miniscule compared to the 19.8% of cattle transported live but that would not seem to be important enough to mention. Very easy to paint a certain picture. Or maybe people just like their burgers and steaks too much to be consistent in their views.

Personally, I don't like eating mass produced meat of any kind.

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

It is strange that no one gets too bothered about the chickens/ducks/pigs and others sold everywhere for consumption who are treated incredibly badly.

Personally, I don't like eating mass produced meat of any kind.

Danny

[/quote]

My sentiment exactly. Which I acquired after reading "Silent Spring" (Rachel Carson) in the 60's.

I try to avoid consuming, using or buying, anything that involves exploitation and suffering of not just animals, but also of people, even those people who live so far away from me that I could pretend they don't exist at all.

Oh, thank you so much for that 5-E.  One of the things which gets up my nose when these kinds of issues are being discussed, is the fact that some (and I honestly am making no assumptions whatsoever about anybody who posts here - I would not presume to categorise anybody) of the people who get really uptight about the way in which animals are exploited/ill treated on the way to our dinner tables, is that they do not seem to get anything like so hot under the collar about the human animals who are exploited too.  They will happily pop along to Asda, Matelan (or whatever the equivalent shops are in their countries of residence) and pay what are obviously ludicrously low prices for things, not considering for one moment, the conditions in which the human beings on the production lines are working and living. 

Also, it is easy for those of us who can afford to make the choice, to sound off about how dreadful it is to buy cheap food from animals raised in poor conditions.  Most of us on here may be able to avoid eating battery chickens/ horse meat or whatever- but if you are living on or near the breadline and have a family to feed and clothe, I doubt whether the welfare of the animals or the people involved in production, are really at the front of your mind when you're shopping.  The price is. 

That's what is so good about having a debate regarding the "facts" - all sides can make their case and each individual can make their choice using their own criteria (moral, financial etc).

Everybody has their say by voting with their wallets - hence the end of horse butchers in the UK ... and we'll see if Gordon Ramsey takes it off the menu or it becomes a popular dish.  Foie Gras still sells well in the UK I note. And totally bafflingly McDonalds sells well the world over![+o(]

Is it true that golden eagle tastes a bit like swan?

[quote user="Ian"]That's what is so good about having a debate regarding the "facts" - all sides can make their case and each individual can make their choice using their own criteria (moral, financial etc).  

I especially like written debates for this reason, because nobody shouts anybody down (like those awful "debates" on the telly) and each can say their bit, uninterupted.

Everybody has their say by voting with their wallets - hence the end of horse butchers in the UK ... and we'll see if Gordon Ramsey takes it off the menu or it becomes a popular dish.  Foie Gras still sells well in the UK I note. And totally bafflingly McDonalds sells well the world over![+o(]

Is it true that golden eagle tastes a bit like swan?

No idea - got any good recipes?
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I've been in France with no Internet access!! and this is a subject close to my heart

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Can I ask you why you think there is a particular aspect of cruelty towards horses in this regard. Is there something different in their treatment  compared to pigs, chickens, cows etc? [/quote]

I think that what is being missed here is that Horses are far more intelligent and sensitive that the average animal / bird farmed for meat and require a completely different method of handling, they are flight animals and are therefore more aware of frightening situation, especially noise and sudden movement to a point that they will injure themselves trying to escape.

If you need convincing of their superior intelligence, just watch a three day event like Badminton and see if you could do the same with a cow, pig or chicken.

For me it is not the eating of Horses that is abhorrent but the treatment and misunderstanding they receive before slaughter that is unacceptable

All animal / birds destined for meat are untitled  to humane treatment and handling.

Jackie