Haggis in France?

Chassaing

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering a little 'Scottish' evening in January for a few French and British friends, (possibly 40 to 50 people).

Does anyone know anyone in France that is or might be able to make the Haggis?   Or a reliable source who would export to France, if it is possble?

Any help would be gratefully received,

Thanks in advance.

[quote user="Clair"]http://www.thomasgreen.fr/france/lille/shop/asp/prodtype.asp?shopCode=lille&prodtype=69

http://www.epicerie-ecossaise.com/HAGG/hagg.php

Found through google.fr

[/quote]

Thanks Clair!

Ideally, I'm looking for someone who can make em.  But I'll use these places if I have to.

Has anyone had experience good or bad of online Haggis providers?

I just read your post, and we have just waved off some friends who bought with them of all things, some haggis (first time for us).

They bought it from a friend of theirs(John Sole Butchers) he has different types apparently, I think ours was a mcsweeney.

He doesn't seem to have a website, but he may be worth a try?

http://www.alresford.org/food.htm

If you are interested, you can email me, I can pass on personal details such as names of the friends of ours, so you can tell him who recommended him.

[quote user="cooperlola"]My only caveat might be the fallout from foot and mouth.  Can anybody import meat from the UK at the moment?[/quote]

I agree, if not now anytime between now and Jan (Anything can happen).  This is one of the reasons for wanting to source the Haggis (one big one!) in France.

I would have thought with the French using 'every part of the pig', surely some one would use most of a sheep.....

[quote user="cooperlola"]That'll be for my birthday then, Lebois, can I come?[:D] Don't forget the neeps![/quote]

Neeps aren't a problem......  The plan was for our local English and French language courses only to be invited  for a little Scottish Supper. 

Mmmmmmm  I really have a problem now, if I don't invite you....  I'm sure there will be a lobby group set up!  :)

If I get this thing off the ground, who knows....  Do you play the bag pipes?

It's MacSween! See www.macsween.co.uk and they have a list of 3 suppliers who will send abroad. Personally, I don't rate MacSween's haggis that highly but I do like Stornoway black pudding. I had an andouillette when I was in France recently and I probably won't repeat the experience. However, it made me consider why I like haggis since both are made from the bits we don't normally eat or even think about. I think it's because the bits are minced up so finely in haggis whereas in the sausage you can still imagine where the bits came from. 

[quote user="lebois"][quote user="cooperlola"]That'll be for my birthday then, Lebois, can I come?[:D] Don't forget the neeps![/quote]

Neeps aren't a problem......  The plan was for our local English and French language courses only to be invited  for a little Scottish Supper. 

Mmmmmmm  I really have a problem now, if I don't invite you....  I'm sure there will be a lobby group set up!  :)

If I get this thing off the ground, who knows....  Do you play the bag pipes?

[/quote][:D]

Sadly, no, I don't play the pipes. But I do have a couple of nice CDs of Burns songs!