Yorkshire puddings and UHT

squidge

Hello.

My Yorkshire puddings have failed to rise for the last 5 or so times now - is it because I'm using UHT milk?  I'm using the same ratio of ingredients as I've ever done, so all I can think is that it's the UHT aspect.

Can anyone confirm?!

ta.

I use UHT milk and mine rise perfectly so that can't be the problem. 

I don't know what recipe you follow but I now use a cup measure to measure out equal volumes of egg, milk and flour with a small pinch of salt. The oven must be very hot and don't open the door whilst they're cooking.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]I use UHT milk and mine rise perfectly so that can't be the problem. 

I don't know what recipe you follow but I now use a cup measure to measure out equal volumes of egg, milk and flour with a small pinch of salt. The oven must be very hot and don't open the door whilst they're cooking.
[/quote]

Yep, exactly what I do now.  I think I was using too few eggs before so they didn't rise as I wanted.  Then I saw a celeb chef (Ramsey? Rhodes?) do the equal volume bit and now they're perfick I get the tin well oiled and hot before I pour the batter in. So hot that it sizzles, seems to help too.

BTW, my sister-in-law says you have to be a Yorkshire Lass to make proper Yorkshire puds, but then she would say that, coming from Leeds.....but there again her puds are to die for so maybe there's summit innit after all

Last 5 times - I've yet to have a Yorkshire rise in my life.   OH is very keen on them (me not so much) and occasionally I give in to his whimpering and try again.   I have been given several 'fool proof' recipes over the years, but clearly none of them fool proof enough for this cooking fool !

Someone once mentioned using fizzy water (err I didn't really bother to find out for what purpose exactly, because I would sure it still wouldn't work for me !).    Any idea what that was about ??

Fizzy water I assume puts bubbles in it.

LE Everything as been covered here from sizzling the fat, not opening the oven door, using PLAIN flour, adding a spoon of boiling water.  You really cannot fail.

By the way, my husband likes them stodgy.  There is always one isnt there?

Squidge - I have suffered the same problems and wondered if it was anything to do with the flour - I think it is.  I have no problem in the UK making them (and I am the daughter of a Yorkshire lass and a Yorkshire lad) but when it comes to France I have been known to make some very nice roof tiles (much appreciated by my friend's son by the way).  I am not sure which flour I used when they did work so I must find out - probably cheapest Champion stuff. 

Another tip (from my grannies) - add half water and half milk to make them extra light. 

Dripping is of course the ONLY thing to finish off the recipe - so a nice fatty rib of beef cooked in advance usually supplies that side of things (but so expensive in France!).

If you add fizzy water you must do it just before you pour the batter into the smoking baking pans otherwise the bubbles escape.  This is a good way of making batter for fish etc - add some fizzy beer/lager to the batter at the last moment - it really works!

Pix

X

[quote user="Pixie Toadstool"]
Dripping is of course the ONLY thing to finish off the recipe - so a nice fatty rib of beef cooked in advance usually supplies that side of things (but so expensive in France!).

[/quote]

Now you are talking.  I am not going to read this thread again 'till Sunday. [:(]

[quote user="Just Katie"]

[quote user="Pixie Toadstool"]

[/quote]

Now you are talking.  I am not going to read this thread again 'till Sunday. [:(]

[/quote]

Dont forget to do your chips in dripping as well, or, par-boiled taters cut into smaller chunks and deep fried in dripping, known in our house as "scrunchy potatoes". Obviously roast tatties in dripping dont need mentioning.[:D]

[quote user="Just Katie"]

[quote user="Pixie Toadstool"]Dripping is of course the ONLY thing to finish off the recipe - so a nice fatty rib of beef cooked in advance usually supplies that side of things (but so expensive in France!).

[/quote]

[/quote]

Beef dripping on hot toast mmmmmmm (dad used to have it occasionally, I had a taste - delicious but incrediably bad for you).