Starter for Christmas Dinner

londoneye

Does anyone have any good ideas (simple ones please !!) for a christmas dinner starter.   I don't normally bother, but since we are having guests this year I suppose I had better stretch my meagre talents to try for a starter.

Not really sure what the 'norm' is to be honest, I would have thought something not too heavy would be best.   Any thoughts/tried and tested (idiot-proof) ideas ??

My personal favourite, and easy to do.

Thickly slice some beef tomatos, slice up some mozarella cheese, arrange on a deep plate and sprinkle with some torn mint leaves and sea salt. Then a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Delicious.......................

I like a simple but tasty, cold, fresh starter ... that can be prepared in advance:

Bit 'retro' but as I'm a veg - egg mayonaise for me on a bed of fresh shredded lettuce/salad with a sprinkle of paprika over the mayo

and prawn cocktail for the others and if you make more than's needed people have a choice and they can always be eaten later/next day if not all used.

mmmm ... must go and get some dinner together ...

[quote user="londoneye"]

Does anyone have any good ideas (simple ones please !!) for a christmas dinner starter.   I don't normally bother, but since we are having guests this year I suppose I had better stretch my meagre talents to try for a starter.

Not really sure what the 'norm' is to be honest, I would have thought something not too heavy would be best.   Any thoughts/tried and tested (idiot-proof) ideas ??

[/quote]

Have a look on the Recipe Starters-Main-Dessert thread, sure you will see a simple one to make.

Home made pate - can be made in advance.  Cheap.  Quick.  Serve with cheese biscuits if you don't want to fuss around with toast.

Chicken livers fried in pan with garlic, onions (must be softened enough) with a dash of sherry and then chuck into mixer.  Takes 15 mins in total.  Into fridge for up to a couple of days.  Job done.

Afraid I don't like oysters or foie (sp ) gras - bu**er (and no thats not butter) the guests!    I love tomatoes  though fear that they will not be of the high standard to accompany my other delicious dishes (yeah right).     Hmmm - keep them coming please, as I am sincerely a terrible cook, with no skills in that area whatsoever.

Actually I have a terrible confession to make.   After serious trauma I did make the mincemeat recipe for mince pies.and although it doesnt look too good it tastes not bad at all.   However, the problem is that the only jar I had available was an old pickled onion jar, and even I can just taste the faintest aroma of pickled onion when I tried it today.   OK working on that's how bad I am - keep them ideas coming !!

If you go to any of the big supermarkets they will have a 'traiteur' (caterer) brochure of festive 'ready meals' that you could get some ideas from or just order from there - why not, you don't want to be in the kitchen all day.

I haven't decided what I'll do for a starter yet.  Maybe a seafood selection with smoked salmon, gambas, oysters etc. with beef Wellington to follow.

[quote user="Suandpete"]    We're going to have Beef wellington as well - have you made it here before?  If so, what cut of beef did you use?

[/quote]

I've made it dozens of times.  One of my regular special dishes.  Always use the best cut of fillet you can find.  I ask the butcher for the thickest end of the fillet.  It's a good idea to order from your butcher in advance as if you leave it too late there won't be any available.  I also make individual ones with a single thick slice of fillet if it's just for two of us. I sauté some chopped mushrooms and flambé them in brandy to mix in with the paté to go around the meat before wrapping it in puff pastry.  Seal the meat in a frying pan first and once wrapped up in the pastry bake in a moderately hot oven so that the pastry is cooked and golden but the meat is still rare.

I like smoked salmon laid flat lay spinach leaves on top them spread thickly with cream cheese, roll the salmon into a fat cigar shape, and cut into half inch rolls , stand on the end so you can see the pink green white stripes give each person four , set nicly on the plate , drizzle with balsamic and chopped basil leaves and serve with brown bread and butter ,