Slow Cookers

Rose

We have a slow cooker that we have had for many years but it is a pain to clean as nothing comes apart so while in England this time we bought a Crock Pot slow cooker from Argos. It cost us about £45 but it is big and the Crock Pot can be taken to the table for serving if required. Yes, I always cook beef overnight in mine and it is delicious and it just falls apart when slicing. Stews are great cooked in them but as I like crispy dumplings I then transfer the stew into the oven to cook  the dumplings. The Crock Pot came with a recipe book which has a nice recipe for Pork l'Orange which I will try.  Have fun experimenting with yours when you buy one as they definately are a boon.

[quote user="Frederick"]
When in the UK its worth looking in the charity shops ....they often have them going for a song ...We picked up a bread maker still in its box with the instructions book for £12 ...obviously people get given such things and cant be bothered with them ...
[/quote]

I would be careful - if they are selling anything eletrical it needs to be checked and carry a certificate to say it has been checked, by a eletrician qualified to do just that (I think they need a particular piece of paper, not just to be qualified)

Yes, I know its nuts, but I believe that is the law and the fines can be very heavy

You are quite right Russethouse ...I am a member of a community service club that cant give away furniture we are offered to people who have nothing  ( ex prisoners etc ) unless its got the right fire proof labels as we are liable ...I think you will find the charities are well up with the regs and get stuff checked out and marked up as tested before they pass it on ....they do round our way......I know of one charity shop selling new electric guitars !

• 1 month later...
[quote user="teapot"]

Me o'l slow cooker gave up the ghost this weekend.  Looking around the prices go from £9.99 to £50.00.

Whats the difference, they all seem to have two or three heat settings and are around 3 litres. At least the new ones come apart for cleaning.

[/quote]

Size is one thing, but I also think that some of the more upmarket ones have an insert you can use on the hob. I'm down to two slow cookers at present, my third one broke (the control knob just broke in half) I still like the one I recommended earlier.

• 3 weeks later...