Why I always eat my meat & fish well cooked!

splishsplash

[quote user="splishsplash"]There is a good reason why we should always eat our meat & fish well cooked, and here it is....
http://www.fray.com/drugs/worm/
[/quote]

Apparently quite a good way to lose weight and a famous explorer that died last year new he had an enormous worm living in his gut but kept it as he thought it stopped him getting food poisoning.

I was in Waitrose once when a white faced person came up to the checkout with a limp white plastic bag and whispered something in embarassment to the checkout girl who recoiled and ran off to get the manager.

I said whats the problem - is it fish? She said yes it's cod. I said don't tell me it's writhing with worms? She asked how I knew. I told her how I had a friend that used to do seasonal work in different Scandinavian countries and you could make big money de-worming cod flesh under UV lamps to make them show up. Down side was it was very cold.

The parasitic worms lay thier eggs on the skin of the fish and they eat their way into the flesh of the unfortunate fish.

PS Also my alter ego on my website is a reitired fish merchant based on another friend who was a door to door wet fish man. He gave it up as all the customers were oldies and they kept dying and he thought it was his fish...

Very vivid story. Perhaps a little embellished, in my experience. I have had tapeworm, as a child, and so did my brother. There was none of the pulling yards and yards out, that the author delights in. Just a couple of pills (fern extract, if I remember correctly), and then sitting on the toilet for a rather long time, for rather many times. Nothing quite as dramatic as in the story, so it must have been the pork tapeworm, as opposed to the beef one.

It is out of ignorance that I took up eating steak tartare afterwards, as I loved it.[:'(] So far, so good!

[quote user="5-element"]I have had tapeworm, as a child... There was none of the pulling yards and yards out, that the author delights in. ... and then sitting on the toilet for a rather long time, for rather many times. Nothing quite as dramatic as in the story, so it must have been the pork tapeworm, as opposed to the beef one.

It is out of ignorance that I took up eating steak tartare afterwards, as I loved it.[:'(] So far, so good![/quote]

Ditto!

No pills though...I was only allowed pumpkin seeds for a week...[:'(]

JK!

Remember the night in our gite when the locals bought about 15 kilos of T-bone steaks for supper.  They took 2 hours to get the barbecue fired up - during which time they (we[:$]) guzzled litres of Ricard. Then they tossed the whole lot onto the grill for just 30 seconds of cooking per side. 

I will not describe the frenzied eating orgy (not a knife or fork in sight) that ensued.  We sat there starving for the rest of the night[:)]

Except your nephew M who was too 'polite' to tell them he did not like it raw.  He struggled to eat what appeared to be a raw whale rib and looked very relieved when he finished only to have a second one slapped infront of him.  I will never forget his face.  I bet he got worms

Noooo .. Sorry  Katie, you couldn't convince me either !! [;-)]

In France we really worry about having pork well cooked, because there is a real risk of worms, but steak..

Most people like it saignant or bleu ( I do ) , and I m sure the risk of having worms is very limited. Never heard of any case.

germs on a piece of steak only grow where they come into contact with air. Therefore, the germs are only ever on the outside surface. . If you sear the outside surface, you kill the germs.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Noooo .. Sorry  Katie, you couldn't convince me either !! [;-)]

In France we really worry about having pork well cooked, because there is a real risk of worms, but steak..

Most people like it saignant or bleu ( I do ) , and I m sure the risk of having worms is very limited. Never heard of any case.

germs on a piece of steak only grow where they come into contact with air. Therefore, the germs are only ever on the outside surface. . If you sear the outside surface, you kill the germs.

[/quote]

I cannot believe that meat eaters are so disinterested in what they eat.

Most bacteria that grow in meat are aerobic (need air to grow), some can grow without air. There are no tell-tale signs to indicate when this may have happened.

If you have seen some of the sights I have seen in abbatoirs and meat packing plants your hair would curl.

Best to avoid meat completely if you have concerns about safety.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Well, I have been a meat eater since I was a child, and I have never had any pb linked to that.

I respect vegetarians, I d like them to respect my choice too.

[/quote]

No problem I respect your right to eat what you want and think what you want.

But wherever you got the advice on germs was abit awry.

Just because you have got away with it so far doesn't mean you may not one day.

Good luck.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

And do you think there's more food poisoning in France than in the UK ?????

Come on ........

[Www]

[/quote]

Interesting question. I have not visited abbatoirs, meat plants or been in restaurant kitchens in France. So have no idea of how good the hygene levels are.

Do cases of food poisoning have to be reported to the authorities in France?

It should be possible to find how many reported cases of food poisoning there are in UK.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

And do you think there's more food poisoning in France than in the UK ?????

Come on ........

[Www]

[/quote]

Data only up to 2005.

http://www.foodlink.org.uk/factfile_c.asp?file=1&chapter=12

http://www.funpecrp.com.br/gmr/year2003/vol1-2/sim0009_full_text.htm

They don't display the figures quite the same here - but I also read that 36% of cases of food poisoning in France are related to red meat.

I could never eat any meat unless it was cooked to almost singed. Many a time I have been given meat that was not quite cooked even though I asked for it to be well done. I just leave it on the side of my plate but I must admit we do not eat out that often for that reason. I can never get the waiters here in France to understand that well done does not mean burnt on the outside but still red in the centre.

That article was suggesting that E. Coli may have got into plant tissue. So far it hasn't been proved.

It can be spread by slugs, birds and animals, contamination by faeces and through cross contamination from meat to vegetables. Nice not.

Meat, eggs and dairy produce are the primary causes of food poisoning with 95% of food poisoning coming from meat.

Pesticides are found in high amounts in meat, fish and dairy, research shows a vegetarian diet minimises the dangers from pesticides.

I don't eat much lettuce as it is a soporific. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Have fun enjoy your dinner.

I recently ate very very rare rosbif at a friends house, it was by far the most delicious I have ever tasted, the second serving was oversubscribed so I decided to eat a piece from the outside for comparison (by no means well done), absolutely no taste and a very rubbery texture, even the UK Lidl frozen roast beef ready meals taste better!

I know that the cuts of meat are different between the two countries and would say that anyone that buys a joint of beef in France and cooks it à la Anglais is wasting their money and missing out on a veritable treat.

I fell with  salmonella  poisoning once in Paris and blamed it on les moules I had eaten that same evening (I didnt know then to not eat the closed ones) on being treated in the UK it was reported to the health authorities (it is a notifiable disease) who investigated, apart from their swabs showing bacteria everywhere in my own clean but not clinically so kitchen, they told me that it was not the moules as they would not have had time to have an effect, after analysis and finding other sufferers BA in flight catering was declared to be the culprit.

Apart from that one time I have an absolutely robust constitution and have eaten food cooked in the gutter in some very dirty 3rd world towns without any problem, however despite loving steak tartare it just does not agree with me and I always get a case of the trots (not full blown food poisoning) the next day, I know what I have eaten is as fresh as can be and cooked in hygenic conditions as its my neighbours restaurant, its just something that doesnt agree with me.

Having suffered full blown Salmonella I can say that it was only marginally less debiliitating than Meningitus and Falciparum Malaria, IMO most people have just suffered a stomach upset (like me and the steak tartare) when they say that they have had food poisoning.

JR (I am giving up on quoting you, too complicated!)

Campylobacter poisoning is no picnic either (not me, but my OH, both times with undercooked chicken - once in England from a dinner party, once from a French restaurant in Cruissan). No more poultry for him now: both times he had to be hospitalised.