An equivelent for condensed milk?

f1steveuk

I was surprised to see a tin of Nestle lait concentre in Leclerc (Mayenne) when shopping last week and now banoffi pie is haunting me. Can't imagine my french friends liking it as they always think my desserts are far too sweet ! They even think my parsnip soup is too sweet and that's without sugar!

Chris

Not for me you understand! We took all the stuff to make a massive Banoffe Pie for our neighbours, and now they are all hooked, so we're conducting an experiment, Banoffe made with all UK ingredients, and another with as close in French ingredients, although I can recommend substituting digestive bicuits with chocolate Hob-Nobs or even choc chip cookies!!!

As it was a friend of mine (when I lived in Eastbourne) who invented the Banoffee, I daren't tell him, but as he farms now, he might not care!

[quote user="knee gel"]I was surprised to see a tin of Nestle lait concentre in Leclerc (Mayenne) when shopping last week...[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand why you were surprised...

It has been available in France for at least 40 years (I used to have it neat from a tube when I was a child [:P])

Clair, I was surprised because as it seems impossible to get single and double cream as in the UK in my mind I'd written off getting any other type of milk/cream products. Does that mean there is a product resembling 'Carnation' evaporated milk? Ooh if there is I will now be hyperventilating on jelly and carnation ! which leads to another question, is there an equivalent for 'Rowntrees' fruit jelly. I was going to begin a regime this week but with all this talk of sweet things looks like it's on hold.................again!

Does that mean there is a product resembling 'Carnation' evaporated milk? Yes - it's called "le lait concentré non-sucré".

Sorry, confused as always, are you saying that lait concentre non-sucre is the watery type you put on jelly and that WITH sucre would be the thick type you boil in the tin for banoffi pie?

Just trying to distinquish between evaporated milk and condensed milk!

Chris