tomato chutney

dragonrouge

Hi I have seen what looks like a wonderful tomato recipe on Allrecipes UK and Ireland. However the finished product needs to be sterlised in those sorts of tin contraptions the French use. Whilst I could buy one our hob is induction and it will not work. I know the reasoning behind the sterlisation for I really would not wish for anyone to become ill but does anyone please have any ideas on this point. Our casserole is not that large enough to take many bottles and the thought of boiling water in the kitchen and up to the rim of the casserole is a bit scary.

I wash my jars in the dishwasher and then, like Danny, sterilise them in the oven, and boil the seals.

I've never done the second sterilization after making jam or pickles, as I've never seen the need if everything is already sterile (although I would for a paté or meat based preserve). I just put the lid on, turn the jar over, and leave it to cool upside-down.

Sometimes the second sterilisation is needed to finish processing the preserve, in that case just cook it for a bit longer before putting it in the jar.

We have an electrified version of one of those tin things the French use. Not used for jams and chutneys but it is for fruit, duck, ratatouille etc. and the results are fine after 3 years. The base is large enough for 7 Le Parfait jars with screw on lids and if the jars are 0.75 ltr or less there is room for 2 storeys.

For jams we use a layer of paraffin wax.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

We have an electrified version of one of those tin things the French use. Not used for jams and chutneys but it is for fruit, duck, ratatouille etc. and the results are fine after 3 years. The base is large enough for 7 Le Parfait jars with screw on lids and if the jars are 0.75 ltr or less there is room for 2 storeys

[/quote]

The electric sterilisers are the best and far more accurate but I use a huge deep pan (which in a pervious life sterilized terry cloth nappies).  You need to keep an eye on the pan to maintain temperature and if I'm doing two levels, I put a flannel on the bottom, flannel in between levels and a heavy tile on top to keep them stable. Perserving is such fun and gives an old fashioned sense of achievement to see a cupboard full of pates, jams, ducks etc.  OMG! I think I'm turning into my grandmother[:-))]

I'm with Cat on this.  Dishwasher then oven. Boil the seal but replace if there is the slightest damage to them.  Never had a problem following this procedure.

BTW, I have around 50 Kilner jars (The original Kilner from the UK, not Parfait or anything) and I have lots of the tin caps but I cannot find the rubber seals for these jars anywhere, even Kilner themselves were not very helpful.  Any Ideas?

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

or use the oven to sterilise the jars and boil the rubber seals. ??

Danny

[/quote]

NO NO NO NO

at least if I have read correctly between the lines of the OP's question, it is necessary to sterilise the CONTENTS of the jars after bottling.

The Jars should of course be sterile before filling, but some fruits and veggies need to be pasturised post filling - especially if the recipe is low acid, sugar or salt. 

Tomatoes and recipes to preserve them without any/much added sugar and vinegar come very high on the list of things that have to be pasturised.  As I posted above, botulism kills - so sorry for shouting but this could be someone's life at stake.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

BTW, I have around 50 Kilner jars (The original Kilner from the UK, not Parfait or anything) and I have lots of the tin caps but I cannot find the rubber seals for these jars anywhere, even Kilner themselves were not very helpful.  Any Ideas?

[/quote]

Googling "lids for Kilner jars" produces over 6,000 pages - someone might help.

We have a few of the older, hinged lid Le Parfait jars. Being a total wimp I always use a new rubber band rather than take a chance.

John

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

The electric sterilisers are the best and far more accurate but I use a huge deep pan (which in a pervious life sterilized terry cloth nappies). 

[/quote]

So that's how your food has that special flavour. [I]

John

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="Gemonimo"]

The electric sterilisers are the best and far more accurate but I use a huge deep pan (which in a pervious life sterilized terry cloth nappies). 

[/quote]

So that's how your food has that special flavour. [I]

John

[/quote]

Somebody, please just remind me NOT to eat her food...........