White paper for flyers

sid

One of our friends told me recently that it is illegal to use white paper for flyers distributed to the public. I did a little research and found several references confirming this, so it's just a warning to others who, like us, have been here a while but were completely unaware of this.

Apparently the Brits are the biggest culprits, through ignorance, handing out leaflets at vide-greniers etc.

Perhaps Clair would like to add something about the law?

Sid

Yes, I thought it was just one of those French tastes in colour and decoration! It's only taken me 6 years to find out! There must be loads of other little things like this that we don't know about.

Thanks for the link and I'll pass that on.

Sid

Ha, Nomoss!  [:)]  I agree that there are some conditions there about coloured illustration/text, but I don't think I'll be the guinea pig to test that interpretation!

There must be a long-awaited Government White Paper! [Www] on the subject!

[:D]

Sid

It is to do with the fact that all government notices are on white paper - we were told it at the C de Metier course for setting up in business.  It's one of those things that all the French know automatically but we don't.

I didn't realise that coloured paper had to be used for leaflets in France. They also seem strict on the printers name being shown which used to be the case in UK - so that the printer could be sued if the content was libelous.

In a famous case a printer in Leicester got sued and had to pay out when he accepted a job which was in Hindi (if my memory is correct)  and he didn't even know what he had printed as he didn't speak or read Hindi.

Also quite a ripoff as tinted papers cost significantly more than white.

I would be interesting to see how they define white paper as so called 'white paper' can have a colour hue usually red or blue.

Can you print text in red with a 30% screen over the paper making it pink?

[quote user="Cathy"]Why do printers use white paper then?  We had some flyers done (with colour illustrations) and the printer automatically used white paper.

[/quote]

Nomoss already explained above that it is allowed if there are colour illustrations.