Salad Days

Théière

With the soon to return summer (crossed fingers) comes the need to store salad things in the fridge, my question is why do the fridges have that bit at the bottom called a salad crisper which seems to be the quickest way to turn good salad items into compost? what it the ppoint iitts tooo coold doown theerre.

I have no idea why.

Through the time honoured method of trial and error I have discovered the best way (for me and mine anyway) to keep the lettuces crisp.

Dismantle and carefully rinse each lettuce leaf before spinning in salad spinner. Store in a glass bowl covered with clingfilm and place in centre of fridge.

Simples

John

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="knee gel"]........ and puts to use those faded tea towels. Chris[/quote]

There's another sort ??? [8-)][/quote]

Definitely, the new, unused ones you keep in the drawer for when someone important comes to visit ...

Sue[:)]

Suein56

You are so right! I have quite a few news ones, years old, given as gifts and too nice to use eg one covered in paisley scottie dogs, brightly coloured chickens, a london routemaster bus, etc etc

Sad that I am......Chris

Hey, thanks for re-newing this thread because I meant to come back on here and report what a brilliant idea that is about washing the lettuce leaves and leaving them in the middle of the fridge covered in cling film.

Did that, and the leaves were unbelievably crisp.  Not only that, saves having to wash the leaves everytime you want to eat a bit of salad.  This way, once washed and put in bowls, it's so easy to get out the amount you need as and when.

I reckon you have saved me  €s in limp lettuce which I normally would have discarded!

So, many thanks, Icenie and GG.