What herbs for Ratatouille?

Gardener

Sadly- no basil, but  dried herbes de Provence were used with some extra fresh ones from the garden and it was very nice.

Next question. Lots left over, best way of keeping it ? We are experimenting storing food with those kilner style jars, can ratatouille be kept like that ?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Wonderful when thawed to put into a pastry case for a quiche with more fresh herbs and grated cheese on top or with a topping of crumble mixture.[/quote]

I like the idea of the topping of crumble mix, Sweet - will try it next time, thanks.

Made an apricot tart the other day - and used left-over crumble mixture on the top - it worked very well.

I use thyme and rosemary from the garden for ratatouille- must say personally wouldn't use basilic. Last night a friend made crepes and we used left over ratatouille with Gruyère, and a fricassée of mushrooms (bolets and millers), picked during and afternoon foray, with lardons and a dash of cream. A feast.

[:(][quote user="Swissie"]Made an apricot tart the other day - and used left-over crumble mixture on the top - it worked very well.

I use thyme and rosemary from the garden for ratatouille- must say personally wouldn't use basilic. Last night a friend made crepes and we used left over ratatouille with Gruyère, and a fricassée of mushrooms (bolets and millers), picked during and afternoon foray, with lardons and a dash of cream. A feast.
[/quote]

My crepes, alas, are crap!

Would some kind French person come on here and explain how to make them?

My French neighbour's MIL makes fantastic ones, so do many of the women from my Rando Club. 

Me?

I follow Delia's recipe and I discard the first  two or three (well, not discard, dog and OH will scoff anything) and then the rest are sort of OK.  But I only use a small pan as I can't do the tossing bit and I could never roll mine up into thin rolls like the French do!

Have even bought some sarrasin to make savoury galettes but, again, the results are less than impressive![:@]

Jacqueline made them - and just followed her ... nose. She said one tablespoon flour per pancake, then 2 eggs and milk to slopping consistency. I do have a special non-stick crepe pan - and she just brushed it with kitchen paper dipped in sunflower oil. The key is to have the pan hot... and to LEAVE the pancake well alone for a couple of mins before any attempt to turn over. Bonne chance

Your omlette pan will be fine as long as you get it hot so the mixture sizzels as it goes in.

Another important point is not to use too much oil.  I normally dip a bit kitchen towel in some oil and wipe it around the pan (especially the edges) before each pancake, too much and the mixture tries to boil in oil and you get crappy crepes!

good luck!