Christmas

Rivington

We are spending Christmas at our French house for the first time this year and wonder if turkeys and uncooked gammon hams are readily available. Although we do want to find out and maybe join in,[:)] whatever our neighbours are doing, it would be nice to be able to do a bit of forward planning!

Carole

Turkey is readily available (or it was last year).   It's also expensive, and if you don't want all the head and stuff then you have to face the wrath of the butcher to take it off.   Be prepared for incredulous looks and many gestures to other customers at your wastefulness !  (that was in supermarket butcher section by the way).    Also, I can only give my experience last year, but we trolled up a day or so before christmas, having been in same supermarket a few days before and seen everything we wanted, only to find a lot of stuff sold out.

This year we will shop earlier.   Also, we are not getting a turkey because we thought it was vastly over-priced for what it was.   A big chicken will do me !!

Other people will no doubt have other views.

I am sure gammon is available but I dont eat it myself so have never really looked.

And why not a chapon?  I know they are expensive but certainly worth every euro.  This year we're having a 'gigot a la ficelle' cooked in the fireplace.  It's lots of fun and everyone takes part with the basting in between drinking..................... 

Jen

sorry i found buying turkey here MUCH cheaper than in England I spent £45 on a free range (booked one at the butchers and did not have the bottle to say HOW MUCH!!! when I picked it up christmas eve) 2 years ago ,mind you we are not far from Liques ( turkey farm etc) I have got a huge duck  (6 euros from auchan) leg of venison (reduced section of auchan ) and a haunch of goat but we are not having any of that !!!!    after the session our neighbours are planning christmas eve we are most probably only going to be capable of drinking soup on christmas day

We found that turkey was a little more expensive from our local butcher, than in the UK. Also he thought that having a large bird      bizarre, pas de gout, so we bought 2 small ones..........best I've ever eaten.

Uncooked gammon has to be ordered in advance, most gammon here is cooked.

Happy Christmas

Wilko

[quote user="Gemonimo"]And why not a chapon?  I know they are expensive but certainly worth every euro.  This year we're having a 'gigot a la ficelle' cooked in the fireplace.  It's lots of fun and everyone takes part with the basting in between drinking..................... 

Jen
[/quote]Can I ask you how you do that,it sounds brilliant,I have an inglenook fireplace with a massive dog grate,would I be able to do it?

Pleased to be of service vervialle......

You will need a deep fireplace as the 'braise' will take up quite a bit of space. We use 'pieds de vigne' which are the stalks as opposed to the 'sarments' which are the long branches on which the grapes grow but I guess any wood that doesn't spit would do. As the gigot will be hanging from the front of the chimney, you will need to make sure the hearth is extended a bit to catch all drips, wood etc. I use a piece of 'fer forgé' which normally would go at the back of the fireplace and hold it up with a breeze block or two.

To hold the gigot you will need to have some sort of hook. My late OH drilled hole into he manelpiece and then fabricated a longth of fer sort of like an elongated letter S to fit into the hole, over the mantelpiece and down to receive the lamb.

Now comes the easy bit. Attach the lamb with strong cooking string leaving a long loop to go over the above metioned hook.The lamb should be hanging about 30-50cm aove the dish that collects all the juices. Make sure it is solid as you wouldn't want it do drop off - quelle catastrophe! The idea is that you twist the string and as it unwinds the lamb is cooked on all sides rather like a rotisserie. It is really very elementary and so much fun. I marinate the lamb for a night and when it is hanging (over an ovenproof dish) I baste it.

Make sure you have enough wood to hand, adding enough each time so that the heat remains constant.

As everyone will want to baste and twist, you can sit back with a glass of bordeaux and listen to carols from Kings College Choir (or if you prefer, Bruce Springsteen.....).

Let me know how it goes vervialle, and Sweet 17, if your OH doesn't eat meat, what will you be cooking? I only ask because this year among the carnivores chez moi I will have a vegetarian niece and her polish fella, and, well, down here in duckland vegetarian dishes are few and far between. I did google up a few polish recipes but there were too many x, y and z for me to understand.........

Jen

Although the OH does not eat meat, he does eat some fish.  So, it will probably be a fish pie (perhaps I could slip in some scallops without him noticing) and something meaty cooked in red wine for the others.  Not thought that far ahead, to be honest!

• 3 years later...
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but we have finally sold up in UK and have moved over last week! said I would never move at Christmas again after the last one, but no-one says no to a buyer these days!!!!!  I would like to do a turkey and all the trimmings dinner this year just to help everyone settle down, but haven't seen any turkeys either frozen or fresh! Anyone know where I would be able to get one?

Hi Jo

The supermarkets usually start to stock turkeys about one or two weeks before christmas. The ones I have seen have been quite small at around 2-3k. I have found for a larger bird, its a visit the local to order one, but in my experience, they come at a price!! I am sure someone will come along who may know of a farm that you could try. Leclerc and Super U also have a small English range for things like cranberry sauce etc, but again, they are at a premium price. Hope this helps! Joyeux Noel!!