Large flat pestle and mortar

sueyh

• 1 month later...
O.K - everyone looking for flat pestle and mortars - you must read on -. I looked on this site two days ago 06/12/10 and couldn't find any good links to relevant sites. However, I persevered on searching and found a fantastic supplier of  a 'flat pestle and mprtar'. For £30 I found a large, flat, marble pestle and mortar.  The service was iincredibly friendly and personal - they even included a personalised hand-written card with the delivery. I was a little apprehensive about the payment methods and rang them to enquire re this. It turns out they are a relatively new site/company and are in the process of getting their web site developed. Give them a ring if you have any queries - they are fantastic and really friendly. I received (free delivery) my pestle and mortar within 48 hours of ordering. I am really pleased with the product and would recommend this company to anyone looking for a flat pestle and mortar or anything marble - visit their website! Regards and good luck!!! Gail

Coops,

it's all down the the larger area of friction.

With a traditional P&M (narrow pestle + deep, narrow mortar), the area where the food being ground/crushed is limited to the contact point between the point of the pestle inside the mortar.

With a wide and shallow P&M, you immediately see that the flatter and larger base of the pestle allows a larger grinding/crushing area.

It follows that the larger pestle required a larger mortar and, as the contact area is bigger, the mortar does not need to be as deep as in the traditional design.

Also, the foodie does not need to use as much power/strength, as the wider base does much more grinding/crushing than a narrow one.

I wonder if it could be used to mash bananas?

For what it's worth, I saw a TV programme about an Asian lady on Welsh TV (yes, I know, such a mix-up) who used a large, smooth stone to grind spices on a piece of wood with a hollowed out bit.

I've longed for one of those things since.  I think the large, smooth stone would be easy to find and perhaps I'd get Jonzjob to hollow out a nice bit of wood for me?