wanting chocolate etc

idun

Last few evenings I have simply felt like I had to have some chocolate and I have had a little, but fancied a lot.

I don't smoke, not much of a drinker either, but sometimes these urges come over me. So what do you 'have to have'. Crisps, apero nibbles, lumps of cheese, a glass of something wine or the harder stuff or even chocolate like me.

Often feel like something alcoholic but only if I am in my own home.  If I am out and about or at someone else's, it doesn't bother me.

When I like to drink is when I am cooking....I guess I am anticipating the pleasure of eating the food![:-))]

The only time I ever have a drink when I am cooking is when guests have arrived and I have a glass of Kir, just a proper wine glass, not these huge things. And half way through that, I am giggly, and probably unfit to be in charge of a cooker.

I never think of alcohol, but chocolate, well that is different.

[SIGH} Green and Black's "butterscotch" chocolate bar. If I open one, I am incapable of stopping till I've finished the lot. I don't know why, as I'm usually for 70% plain choc, and can stop eating that after a couple of squares.

The only solution is not to have the G&B in the house (though it doesn't always stop me nipping down to the late-night corner shop to get one, when in London).

Thank goodness it doesn't seem to be available in France.

Angela

[quote user="idun"]

So what do you 'have to have'.

[/quote]

My parents were addicted to nicotine and it killed them. This possibly why I am not addicted to anything AFAIK.

Though I confess to a liking for Earl Gray tea and Marmite (but not together).

Boring of N Lot

Loiseau, that is very naughty of you to mention something that I have never had and will now have to try!

I cannot remember which manufacturer used to make it, could have been a swiss one, but maybe Poulain, and that was a chocolate bar with caramel au sel, perhaps de guerande. Not sure which sort of chocolate was on it, it was the filling that I loved, cruchy with that little kick of salt.

I drink Early Grey and Lady Grey tea all the time. They have a new Sunshine Grey with lemon and another with 'rose' in it. So if tea is an addiction, then I am addicted to tea, although I do love a good cup of decent coffee too.

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="idun"]

So what do you 'have to have'.

[/quote]

My parents were addicted to nicotine and it killed them. This possibly why I am not addicted to anything AFAIK.

Though I confess to a liking for Earl Gray tea and Marmite (but not together).

Boring of N Lot

[/quote]

Hah, Iceni, I can cap your story (just)! 

My grandparents on my father's side were addicted to opium and it killed them....no, not trying to outdo you, honest![:P]

''A big bar of Cadburys Fruit & Nut. ''

Oh yes, Bugsy! I eat huge amounts in UK, and never ever bring any to France! It's almost 7 weeks since I had any, and I just know some will find its way into my trolley next week. But if it's in the house, it must be eaten! Perhaps I ought to move to France permanently so I don't eat any more.  [:)]

I used to be a Fruit and Nut fan and still am, if it was in, I would eat it, like I love chocolate raisins too. Carrefour used to sell it at one point in France.

Funny what I don't buy much since we have moved back. Certain things were always must haves, and none healthy, but great treats.

I was thinking about Callard and Bowser's Butterscotch the other day and realised I hadn't seen it. They were very good as was their nougat.

I am an ice cream fan, but not to nibble on particularly, as a pud I think it is lovely. However, as a nibble, Cadbury's are currently making Turkish Delight choc ice bars and they are wonderful, and one is never enough, so I suppose that makes 2 more than a nibble and simply pigginess.

[quote user="idun"]

Cadbury's are currently making Turkish Delight choc ice bars and they are wonderful, and one is never enough, [/quote]

And sometimes one is enough, when it is the last one left[6]

[quote user="idun"]

Loiseau, that is very naughty of you to mention something that I have never had and will now have to try! ...

[/quote]

I warn you, idun, it's a slippery slope!   I think it's the little crunchy bits that do it.  Arrrrghhh!  Mustn't even think of it.

I would never bring any to the Vendee, Sweets;  it's my only chance of going cold turkey (or should that be dinde froid?)

Angela

Chilli and pizza are 2 things I cant live with out on nearly a daily basis ....

I make my own pizza bases so that I can keep them healty with lots of fresh vegtables but must be piled high with very hot chilli ....

It took me a while to find good chillis that were hot enough for me in france but now have my supplier so all is cool..... In fact her dried hot chillis are so good I buy so many in one go to bring back to the UK ....

I put them in every thing and even grow my own fresh ones, currently I have 12 plants growing .....

Pads, where'd you get your chilli plants?

I make do with frozen or dried chillies. 

BTW, I was only thinking of you yesterday when I made your smoked salmon carbonara.  For that, I use dried chillies but, unfortunately, OH doesn't share my hot taste and I have to be careful how much I put in.

I HATE chillies with a vengeance! I used to enjoy them, although I knew there were hotter ones than I was keen on. Then we were on holiday in Nepal, and nibbles were brought with our drinks. I tried a couple, really pleasant chillies in a sort of batter; next one was appallingly hot; I couldn't breathe, never mind speak, and water only made it worse! I'm really careful about what I eat as nibbles now!!

[quote user="gardengirl "]I HATE chillies with a vengeance! I used to enjoy them, although I knew there were hotter ones than I was keen on. Then we were on holiday in Nepal, and nibbles were brought with our drinks. I tried a couple, really pleasant chillies in a sort of batter; next one was appallingly hot; I couldn't breathe, never mind speak, and water only made it worse! I'm really careful about what I eat as nibbles now!![/quote]

Chillies aren't so bad, it's wasabi that you have to look out for!

Had my very first (and last) Japanese meal at a restaurant in the Far East.  I thought the little pale green cones looked so pretty that I scooped it up in my chopsticks and popped it into my mouth!  Yes, such was my ignorance, that I popped the whole lot in...[+o(]

Talk about eyes watering, tongue hanging, dribbling, head exploding; well, you get the picture.

And then, recently, a visitor brought us some wasabi-coated peanuts!  Wasabi-coated peanuts, don't think it was April First but I still gave them a very wide berth. 

Sweet 17 I grow my own plants from seeds of the fruits I have eaten , my favorite are scotch bonnets which only appear in the shops for a few weeks each year , so I save the seeds and grown them on .

I must say I also love Wasabi which is a type of horse radish and have a packet of those nuts in my pantry waiting for my bottle of wine evening on Sunday .....yum

Not so far east as in Harissa Berbère, Jardins de Carthage, Tunisie.

Composition: Piments Séches, Piments Fumés, Ail, Spices.

Purée of dried hot red peppers.

Has just a teeny weeny bit of salt to flavour.

Derlicious.

Comes in little 200 gms jars or 135 gm flip top tins.

Mine are imported by Reine de Dijon.

[:D]