Advise on 'New rules abt EU citizens registering'

Aly

Have a friend moving to France in the next few weeks. Have the rules that Sunday driver outlined in this section been implemented.

Do people need to register with the local mairie. Or has this been shelved - I know there have been some legal challenges re

freedom of movement and Healthcare?

• 1 month later...
I've heard many stories from others who have moved in the past two or three years, trying to get the carte de sejour, but being refused, because it wasn't necessary for them. When I first moved, it felt a bit strange that my arrival didn't seem very "official", so until I'd set up my business, I went to the town hall and signed up as a voter for the local elections.

I'm one of those many stories that was trying to get a C de S. On my behalf the Maire rang the Prefecture only to be told they do not issue them anymore. The Maire went on to explain that I'd applied to a particular french bank to open an account but as I didn't have a driving licence because I don't drive, my only source of identity was my passport and that the bank wouldn't accept my application without another source of ID ie C de S, or Titre de Famille. As I don't have any family the T de F was not an option. The Prefecture then said what about a carte d'identity anglaise - we don't have such a thing I replied. The Prefecture then told the Maire that it was not necessary to have a C de S to open a french bank account. The Maire then rang the bank telling them the C de S was not necessary and after 20 minutes it was agreed I could send a copy of my marriage certificate as ID. Just to be sure I also sent a copy of my birth certificate as more proof as to who I am and a couple of weeks later the account was opened. What a performance in order to put some savings in a bank account!

Hi,

Most prefectures will not issue a carte de sejour, but if you write to them asking for one , they will usually reply stating that your UK passport will suffice. If you then keep their letter with your passport, you have a record of when you became resident, and also an answer ,if needed, to the various fonctionnaires - especially gendarmes- who do not appear to be aware of their own rules.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The proposed rule regarding registration with your mairie is no longer mentioned on offical government websites, so it would seem that it has been dropped.

As that original post is no longer be relevant, perhaps a mod would kindly delete it.

[/quote]

As requested by SD, the sticky has been removed.

For my 2nd tax return in 2009 the Impots decided that they wanted proof of residence.

I went to my Mairie where I found that they had a preprinted pad behind the counter which they filled it in and stamped with barely a blink [;-)]