recipe please for a cake with fresh figs

mint

I googled cake aux figues and came up with this:

http://www.cuisineactuelle.fr/recettes/cake-aux-figues-202535

I think the Rustica magazine is giving fig recipes in their next edition.

Personally I don't enjoy figs, too sweet for me, and no other flavour, but I know most people like them, and they're good for you.

Ah, yes, I knew I wouldn't go far wrong, asking this type of question on the forum[:D]

Pat, that is an interesting site with both sweet and savoury cake recipes using figs.

And Mrs Bucket, that yogurt cakes look stunning I will feel very proud to present that to anyone.  Do you think the Greek yogurt from the supermarkets will be full fat as called for by the recipe?

Take off the stalk (if it's still there) and crisis-cross the fruit to about half its depth.

Put them (2/person) in a Pyrex or similar small bowl and stuff a little bit of brown sugar into the cavity. Pour over a little bit of whatever booze you happen to have - maybe something you're trying to get rid of. In the oven for 10 mins at 150C.

Serve with ice cream.

I bought a fig tree clearly labeled 'Brown Turkish Fig' and when it grew up, it produced lots of green figs! I lost the first lot as they rotted while I was waiting for them to turn brown.  I find that they will be hard, then one day they turn soft and the following day, rotten.  I'm the only one in my family that likes them so I will be exploring the recipes given above.

I tried fig jam once but it didn't set well.  Something in the fig interferes with pectin apparently.

I just use whatever plain yogurt I have in the house, and splodge in a tablespoon of crƩme fraƮche to "greek" it up a bit. Also, although the recipe doesn't call for it, I add a tiny pinch of cinnamon to the cake batter, which seems to boost the flavour.

It's a very forgiving cake recipe, nothing needs to be too exact.

Thank you, Mrs Bucket.  Reassured now, I will definitely be making it!

Pierre, as you know, I go out walking a lot and I come across all sorts of fruit trees.  My French companions all agree that the "white" figs taste a lot better than the black.

Pat, I made that cake aux figues in your link today.

As the figues were only small, it took 7 of them to make up the required 300G.  The cake was moist and you could really taste the fresh figs.

The mixture is very like a recipe I use from the La Poste calendar of a few years ago to make banana cake.  That cake is also very moist.

It's only a small cake and didn't even get to the top of a 1-lb loaf tin.  Next time, I will make the cake 50% bigger and I think I will add some roasted walnuts or perhaps some flaked almonds.  A bit of crunch should make it more interesting

Mrs Bucket, I haven't made your Turkish yoghurt and figue cake yet as I haven't been able to get to the shops and I don't have enough Greek yoghurt in the fridge but I am really looking forward to trying it.

It's so nice to do a bit of baking again, the weather having cooled down[:)]

Back on line tonight and even back on wifi.

So, tomorrow Mrs Bucket's cake; having bought the Greek yoghurt and dug out the spring-form cake tin from the sous sol.

Pat, that figue cake of yours was really, really nice.

Might make some fig jam tomorrow as we are now getting lots of ripe figs and the mƩteo doesn't look too hot for jam making.

That all sounds lovely.

Stuck in England For a while, we're just about to miss a fig festival we attend every year at a village in the Gard - figs in everything, all delicious, plus masses of figs on sale in the various supermarkets, greengrocers etc.

I saw figs on sale in M&S this week - 50p each! Couldn't believe it! They didn't look lovely and big and juicy either; our son bought a couple to take back to his home as they don't get such things where he lives near the south coast of England so he was very pleased with them.

All the fig trees in our area seem to have gone mad, figs everywhere so that we are literally tripping over them during our walks.

Not only figs, still the odd plum left on trees and apples (varying degrees of sweetness and thicknesses of skin) aplenty.

Our walks have become a tasting paradise and a test of integrity (some belong to other people's gardens) and self-control.

[quote user="hyacinth bucket"]When we are awash with figs, I make this one a lot...

http://www.lifelovefood.co/turkish-yogurt-cake-with-figs-torta/

It is light, fresh and lovely![/quote]

Aaarrrggghhhh..............Mrs B, what did I do wrong?  My cake was very heavy and doughy[+o(]

I looked up the internet for what 3 cups of all-purpose flour would be and I got 1 cup = 125 G.  So I used 375 G which did seem quite a lot of flour to me.

Or maybe, I didn't beat the egg yolks and sugar enough?

The whites were grand, rose up in a huge white snowball!

Also, the cake didn't taste sweet although I dusted it liberally with icing sugar, just like in the pictures.

I have had another look at the recipe, in case I'd left something out but, no, as far as I could see, I'd followed the recipe to the letter.

Any comments or suggestions, svp?

Thank you, Mrs Bucket.  Don't know why I read cups instead of tablespoons.  I think it could be because I was watching an American programme about baking and I was thinking I'd have to find out how much a cupful is.

It's exactly the sort of silly mistake I make on a daily basis and it's a horrible feeling, not being certain about the way you do things[+o(]

Still, I bought some large, brown eggs today and I will have another go.

Thanks, again.

Thank you, Mrs Bucket.  Don't know why I read cups instead of tablespoons.  I think it could be because I was watching an American programme about baking and I was thinking I'd have to find out how much a cupful is.

It's exactly the sort of silly mistake I make on a daily basis and it's a horrible feeling, not being certain about the way you do things[+o(]

Still, I bought some large, brown eggs today and I will have another go.

Thanks, again.

I make a ginger cake, the mix done  in a pan and that seems to have a LOT of flour in it, but is always lovely and light.

The basic recipe on the fig cake reminds me of another recipe I have made, cannot remember what though, certainly fresh fruit in it, plums comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

I rarely make things with booze in them, so wouldn't try that.

I did make a gin and lemon posset with gin and tonic lemon  jelly underneath, just about 1/4 of an inch of jelly, the other week as one of my puddings for friends who like that sort of thing. So not 'never' making stuff with booze, just rarely.

I love cake, so I am going to try that recipe but with plums in it. Booze you can keep, I need my cake from time to time.

And I have kept off the 30 odd kgs I lost, in spite of loving cake! It's all down to quantity innit[Www]