My favourite author

EuroStar

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Teamedup"]

I didn't know Peter Mayle was a proper author, so there you go.

[/quote]

Does an ad-man who saw an opening count?
[/quote]

I have read one of his offerings and he doesn't seem a proper author to me.

I always wonder how Simenon had time to write, what with his other activities. I

I once read Sartre (Nausea) in English. Didn't get it.

Read it again, in French. Still didn't get it.

Read it again in English, in cafés, making notes.

Decided I wasn't getting it because there wasn't much to get.

Now I know that SB will shoot me down over that, but does anyone here get it?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Now I know that SB will shoot me down over that, but does anyone here get it?
[/quote]

Moi?   I would never even TRY to shoot you down, Mr Smith!   I think you're far superior to Sartre in every way.

For one thing, he was half Alsatian.  It says so on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre

This means that he possibly had constant hip pain, and perhaps even anal furunculosis.  I think this will help you to understand his work better.

Yes but.... I wonder if you remember seeing the BBC series The roads to Freedom in the 70s. Adapted from 3 of his books. I was fascinated  as it was so topical for the times even though it was set in 1939-40. I was in my  most extreme leftwing political  phase at the time and loved it. Pat.

[quote user="RumziGal"]

Moi?   I would never even TRY to shoot you down, Mr Smith!   I think you're far superior to Sartre in every way.

For one thing, he was half Alsatian.  It says so on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre

This means that he possibly had constant hip pain, and perhaps even anal furunculosis.  I think this will help you to understand his work better.

[/quote]

If only he'd taken a leaf out of that Simenon geezer's book and kept a tightly clenched pipe he could have avoided the anal furunculosis, I expect.

Michael Connelly ..........................I love the guy.

Michael Connelly has bucked two pervasive trends in modern crime fiction. Too many writers have fallen into the trap of writing quirky detectives who detour into cutesy or hard-boiled stories that devolve into violent, ironic self-parody. But Detective Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch of the Los Angeles Police Department is serious and straightforward, and Connelly's latest, the knowing, taut and suspenseful Echo Park, proves that Harry's creator is as well. Now, nearing 60, Bosch is back with the LAPD, working in the Open-Unsolved Unit, going over cold cases with his most recent partner, Kiz Rider. Most of the cops on the unit, including Rider, are from a different generation. Harry may have backup, but emotionally and mentally he's alone.

It was love at first read for me with Michael Connelly too, and I think I have read all his books. Then you might also like Robert Crais, Jonathan Kellerman, Robert Parker, James Lee Burke, Harlan Coben - all have very good anti-heroes.

I would hardly put Michael Connelly in the category of French author, though[:D]