Can you buy books in English in France?

rpcarnell

Here in Panama, you can always get pocketbooks in English. They are kind of rare, but you can

get them, specially at the malls, where the Americans tourists can be found.

Can you do the same thing in France? I don't like to buy translated stuff. If I could read in any writer's

original tongue, I would.

Our small newspaper shop sells a number of English novels, as does Carrefour supermarket; however they are expensive, as are any books in France, I find. There's a second-hand bookshop here which has several shelves of books in English; prices aren't too bad - a PD James hardback is in the window, priced at €7, and looks in good condition. But as already mentioned, there are a number of places with English residents where there are secondhand books for sale very cheaply; I stocked up on quite a few at one a while ago. I also picked up a lot in Bergerac when we were at our Itchy feet Tour lunch; the English owners were sorting out the library in their house, and swere sending the rest to an animal shelter for their sale. Other than that, I bring loads over when we drive down from UK, and then there's my Kindle, of course!

We have a very popular book exchange here - once a month - can be almost guaranteed to find something you want to read, and get rid of those items you no longer want to keep, also DVDs.  It needs someone to set it up  and somewhere to hold it, in our case our friendly local supermarket which stocks English products, and hey presto.  Mainly Engnlsh, but we get French who want English books, and I've picked up French books there too .... wins all round.

And no, I didn't  start it - I just support it.

Judith, your book exchange seems a great set-up. Maybe we ought to look into that here. However, another source here is at our local AVF. They have set up a free library, with donated books, which can be borrowed by members, just writing own name, book title and date; there are now many books in French, English and Dutch. I donated those books I'd been given on the Bergerac visit. Only AVF members can borrow of course, but anyone new to the town can join at a moderate cost. 

[quote user="sid"]Amazon.fr have a section of English language books. I found them relatively expensive (that's relative to UK) and very slow to arrive in the post. Play.com is far quicker![/quote]

Not so.  Ordered a UK book from Amazon.fr Friday 1st, (first checking price against UK offering, which would include postage, but from .fr free, still cheaper for total cost), so ordered and it arrived today 4th July.  Better than the UK service even when I lived in the UK.

On someone's (yours?) recommendation, I also checked play.com before ordering  - it was no where near comparable in either cost or time, and that is with a new book.  I'll stick with what seems to work for me....

[quote user="gardengirl "]Judith, your book exchange seems a great set-up. Maybe we ought to look into that here. However, another source here is at our local AVF. They have set up a free library, with donated books, which can be borrowed by members, just writing own name, book title and date; there are now many books in French, English and Dutch. I donated those books I'd been given on the Bergerac visit. Only AVF members can borrow of course, but anyone new to the town can join at a moderate cost. [/quote]

GG - yes, it sees to work very well indeed, though you get a melange of stuff, but that includes stuff out of print which you couldn't get anywhere else, which you probably wouldn't buy if you could, but which you wouldn't mind having a read of .....  There is also a free library nearby (which I have yet to get to) and since I had thought I would have trouble getting hold of English books here (o ye of little faith!), I  bought loads before I came and I still have to read them all....)

You may recall I joined in a previous forum post about bringing or selling - my books I can not part with (other than those from the book exchange) as I bought them because I wanted them.....but the good thng about the exchange is that I can try books (as with a library) for no or little cost, and not feel guilty if I don't like them .... with an easy way to get rid as needed.....

And this the librarian (who hates throwing away books) speaking ...

[quote user="Judith"][quote user="sid"]Amazon.fr have a section of English language books. I found them relatively expensive (that's relative to UK) and very slow to arrive in the post. Play.com is far quicker![/quote]
Not so.  Ordered a UK book from Amazon.fr Friday 1st, (first checking price against UK offering, which would include postage, but from .fr free, still cheaper for total cost), so ordered and it arrived today 4th July.  Better than the UK service even when I lived in the UK.

On someone's (yours?) recommendation, I also checked play.com before ordering  - it was no where near comparable in either cost or time, and that is with a new book.  I'll stick with what seems to work for me....
[/quote]

Oh dear! Well, I've been using Play.com for 6 or 7 years without problem, but I find that the .fr Amazon site is slow here; perhaps a location/postal problem?? I'm stumped! I've lost a couple of items too, never delivered from Amazon and they're a bit more difficult to deal with for complaints than the .co.uk site.

This is where my Kindle investigation started!! [;-)]

I tried abebooks.com. Very good sofar.

Bought the three books by Stieg Larrson - albeit secondhand for a total of £12.60. Took a total of 9 days to arrive from ordering. Just ordered 2 more - total £5.92.

Given that once read I either thake them to a brocante or give them away - not bad.

Will still use Play.com for newer books.