Does the 100hp limit apply to motorcyles registered in the UK?

DS19

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

....and at least I have the guts to call myself by my proper name..

[/quote]

Fine. My name is Johnathan H. Miller if it makes

you happy but that's no more necessarily valid than say Atroll

B. Fiddler, or even Tony Fxxx xxxx is it?

...just because you're happy to continue to get the Brits in France a

bad name by looking for loopholes.[/quote] Continue? (Didn't know I'd

begun to do so.)

So I'm busy getting the brits a bad name am I? Haa,... that's a good

one! I'll have to remember that the next time I see a bunch of stupid

drunken brits spilling out of a French pub at night screaming and

throwing up in the street. One could also mention the thousands more leeching off the state for health care.

But, no worries... let's keep our priorities intact. After all, "that

bloke wiv 'is motorbike is gonna giv us a bad name, innit?"

You seem to think that because you are there first you are endowed with

some kind of moral authority to preach to newcomers. It is exactly this

kind of pompous self-importance that really gives brits a bad name and

is a classic and widely perceived british character trait, one that is

exhibited clearly in your shpeel.

Your sermon is dribbling anyway; I support and have the highest regard

for the French and I'm the last, unlike others, to not maintain that I

well assure you, but again perhaps reminder is needed in that a

loophole is within the law not outside of it. Operating a 220+hp bike

in France is a legal thing to do having met certain criteria, whether

is suits you or not. If the French extend the favour then one has the

privilage to accept. It is those criteria I had wanted to determine in

order to be within the law. If I intended to actually break the law I

wouldn't have to bother questioning it in the first place. The funny

thing is is that loopholes are widely sought after and used in

profusion but when it happens to be one that you judge to be improper

everyone begins jumping up and down hysterically like a brood of old

hens. Double standards?

this type of thread should be stopped for once and for all by Archant.

[/quote]

A motion for censorship? Nothing pompous in that, is there?

[quote user="DS19"]

Operating a 220+hp bike in France is a legal thing to do having met certain criteria, whether is suits you or not. 

[/quote]

I said that I'm done with this thread but that made me laugh, 220+hp, indeed so that would be a what, exactly?

ROTFL 

I did hear that casey stoner had a second hand ducati after last weekend. A bit dented but will have 220hp!!! Probably the only other bike to have anywhere near that would be the new Ducati (1500 limited edition) only about £45,000  But not many people will have one of those to ride. 

Probably still reading about Edgar Jessop and believing every word. Must go have a lead on a French registered Hudson,Brough or Railton. Very sad when we put the autocross mini on the rolling road all of 87 bhp at the wheels. 

Is the stilleto a heel or a knife ?

Is the berreta a priest's hat or a gun ?

[quote user="Bugbear"]

I said that I'm done with this thread but that made me laugh, 220+hp, indeed so that would be a what, exactly?

ROTFL 

[/quote]

A Lambretta. Oh,.. did I say +hp? I meant +cc. Hope that didn't cause any confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="DS19"]Does the 100hp limit apply to motorcyles registered in the UK? What if I have UK nationality and residence in France? Will this make any difference? If pulled over, will the cops rough me up? Is there indeed such a limit or is this an urban myth?

Do French nationals care much about this (the 100hp limit, not my living in France) and ride unrestricted anyway? Are the penalties as severe as I've heard? €30k + prison + bike?

Only curious - what are speeding tickets like? Severe? Moderate? Other?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

DS19

I don't think the French take the 100 bhp limit too seriously. When I bought my bike new here the dealer routinely derestricted it at the first service. Most of my french friends with bikes have unrestricted ones. However I bought my bike 4 years ago so things may have changed with regard to people derestricting new bikes now.

With regard to actually getting caught, I have heard the Paris police have mobile dynos, but outside the capital I doubt they are equipped to catch you, but I honestly don't know.

I always find it amusing when I hear Sarkozy talking about carbon emissions when the French government put up STOP signs everywhere instead of GIVE WAY and they introduced the crazy 100 bhp law. My bike was restricted using massive bungs in the inlets. Of course the ECU wasn't reprogrammed so it had the fuel consumption of the QE2 and a carbon footprint the size of Cornwall, but hey that's OK as long as I don't have over 100bhp. It is a bizzare country sometimes!!!

I think you'll find that the French do take the bhp limit seriously.

I'm sure your dealer will have reconsidered his position since January 2006 when they introduced a new law making it a criminal offence for a professional to modify a motorcycle in order to breach the legal power limit.  I suspect the penalty of a 30,000€ fine, two years imprisonment and a five year ban on carrying out his business will have influenced him.  Plus, of course the seizure of the motorcycle which he has modified.....

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I think you'll find that the French do take the bhp limit seriously.

I'm sure your dealer will have reconsidered his position since January 2006 when they introduced a new law making it a criminal offence for a professional to modify a motorcycle in order to breach the legal power limit.  I suspect the penalty of a 30,000€ fine, two years imprisonment and a five year ban on carrying out his business will have influenced him.  Plus, of course the seizure of the motorcycle which he has modified.....

[/quote]

Sunday Driver

I said I didn't think the French worried too much simply because most of my friends ride unrestricted bikes. With regard to the new laws, I also said I didn't know what dealers do nowadays. As far as I have heard only the Paris police have a dyno, and even that information is hearsay and I don't know if it is true. Maybe the slim chance of being caught is what makes the locals unconcerned, or maybe they are all friends of the earth and like to let their engines run as intended instead of spewing out excess fumes all in the name of "safety"[:D]

[quote user="oakbri"]

......Maybe the slim chance of being caught is what makes the locals unconcerned, or maybe they are all friends of the earth and like to let their engines run as intended instead of spewing out excess fumes all in the name of "safety"[:D]

[/quote]

All - or very nearly all motor bikes, especially any over 100bhp, are massive polluters compared with almost any car, including 4x4s. 

So spare us the fake concern for the atmosphere of our planet, please.

Patrick  

[quote user="Patmobile"]

All - or very nearly all motor bikes, especially any over 100bhp, are massive polluters compared with almost any car, including 4x4s. 

[/quote]

Silly emotive blanket statement and not completely true simply because the subject has so many variables.

Its almost as silly as 'oakbri' and 'DS19's' comments.

I've yet to follow a bike and be choked by the fumes, something I cannot say about cars, particularly diesels.[:)]

Since the introduction of the 'euro standards' (1-2-3-4) all bike manufacturers have, like car producers, had to comply on all new cars and bikes produced for the european market.

If a comparison needs to be made the performance factor is probably the closest fair comparison that can be made.

Comparing a modern sports bike (0-100 mph speed in around 6 or 7 seconds) with a Bugatti Veyron or Ferrari (similar performance) gives a totally different perspective as to which are the most polluting.

Large capacity two-strokes are effectively finished because they simply cannot comply. 

Older bikes and cars are not subject to these standards and are therefore, in general terms, more polluting.

A point of correction, is that the power limit in france for bikes is actually 106bhp, not 100 as many have stated.

As per Bugbear, all bikes produced since 1999 for the European market are subject to strict emission controls - except for the UK where implimentation of the rules was deferred until June 2003 to allow the UK importers and dealers time to clear unsold stocks of non-compliant new vehicles such as the MkI Fazer....[Www]

That said, I suspect the ongoing argument for the 106bhp limit is a road safety one - reduce power, reduce speeds and reduce motorcycle road casualties.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Since the introduction of the 'euro standards' (1-2-3-4) all bike manufacturers have, like car producers, had to comply on all new cars and bikes produced for the european market.

If a comparison needs to be made the performance factor is probably the closest fair comparison that can be made.

Comparing a modern sports bike (0-100 mph speed in around 6 or 7 seconds) with a Bugatti Veyron or Ferrari (similar performance) gives a totally different perspective as to which are the most polluting.

[/quote]

Thank you,

In choosing to compare your bike with a Ferrari or Bugatti, you make my point far more convincingly than I could.

Why don't bikes have catalysts?  Why are the standards for noise emission less strict than for cars?  Why do owners of  noisy bikes fit aftermarket exhausts deliberately tuned like trumpets to make an even louder noise?

If riders were concerned about pollution I wouldn't need to ask these questions.  So have your bike by all means, but lay off the hypocrisy about emissions and pollution.

Patrick  

Patrick

[quote user="Patmobile"][

Thank you,

In choosing to compare your bike with a Ferrari or Bugatti, you make my point far more convincingly than I could.

Why don't bikes have catalysts?  Why are the standards for noise emission less strict than for cars?  Why do owners of  noisy bikes fit aftermarket exhausts deliberately tuned like trumpets to make an even louder noise?

[/quote]

Come on Patrick, at least read whats been said and do some research before making such comments.

Perhaps you just don't like being overtaken....................[:D]

I didn't actually compare my bike with those cars, my reference was with full-blown sports machines of similar performance levels. 

My bike, if you're interested, is completely legal, 106bhp and fitted with a factory exhaust system.

I've never felt the need for more power than I currently have and don't choose to wear the 'penis-extension' that some individuals feel 150bhp gives them. Some car drivers, of course, suffer the same illusion..............[:)]

Modern bikes DO have catalytic converters fitted and have done for some time. They also have some of the most advanced fuel-management systems currently available. One example is injector management that completely shuts off the fuel in closed-throttle, over-run situations. Thats why you can't smell them when they've just passed you.

Gary.

Live and let live perhaps.........................................[:)]

[quote user="Patmobile"]Why don't bikes have catalysts?  Why are the standards for noise emission less strict than for cars?  Why do owners of  noisy bikes fit aftermarket exhausts deliberately tuned like trumpets to make an even louder noise?[/quote]

Mine does have a catalytic converter.  The same model in its various versions has had one since about 1994.

I don't know why the noise limits are different for motorcycles -- ask the legislators, not the motorcyclists.

The exhaust system on my motorcycle is original and actually makes less noise than the regulations require.

Please don't make blanket presumptions.  I dislike noisy bike exhausts, too.

I believe The noise limits for motorbikes are higher for bikes because you could not safely fit a long enough system to acheive the limits required in cars. The only time really short exhausts are fitted to front engineed cars is when you need ground clearence and are prepared to sacrifice torque or power. Healey 3000s set up for rallying sometime have side exiting exhausts but racing Healeys have longer exhausts. Exhausts runs on rear engined VWs. Porches, Renaults etc have pips going across the car to find extra length. The is not a defense of the morons without  test equipment or ability to measure who think louder is more powerful, normally it is not.   

[quote user="Patmobile"][quote user="oakbri"]

......Maybe the slim chance of being caught is what makes the locals unconcerned, or maybe they are all friends of the earth and like to let their engines run as intended instead of spewing out excess fumes all in the name of "safety"[:D]

[/quote]

So spare us the fake concern for the atmosphere of our planet, please.

Patrick  

[/quote]

Patrick

I never said I was concerned about the atmosphere (that's why there was a smiley), what I said was that I find the hipocrisy of the French government amazing when they introduce bhp limits, which makes bikes bigger polluters, and try to extract taxes from you all in the name of the environment. I have yet to meet a biker who is a fanatic environmentalist, however I know many members of the FFM who are very opposed to the governments interference in their hobby. I like my bike at full power as I regularly take it on the track, and use every precious bit of power it can produce, losers who think having the bike at full power is a penis extension really make me chuckle - they are pathetic, and I find it interesting that they obviously think that way about the thousands of bikers in the UK with powerful bikes.