Does the 100hp limit apply to motorcyles registered in the UK?

DS19

Does the 100hp limit apply to motorcyles registered in the UK? What if I have UK nationality and residence in France? Will this make any difference? If pulled over, will the cops rough me up? Is there indeed such a limit or is this an urban myth?

Do French nationals care much about this (the 100hp limit, not my living in France) and ride unrestricted anyway? Are the penalties as severe as I've heard? €30k + prison + bike?

Only curious - what are speeding tickets like? Severe? Moderate? Other?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the 100bhp limit only applies to French registered bikes. If the bike is in France for more than 6 months it must be re-registered. If 6 months is exceeded then the bike will be ridden illegally.

French nationals probably do worry about the massive fines for riding a bike illegally, but like the illegal UK cars that have been here more than 6 months, there is always someone who will risk it.

Never had a speeding ticket so cannot answer the last question, but SD will be along soon with the correct information.

[quote user="DS19"]Does the 100hp limit apply to motorcyles registered in the UK?

No.

What if I have UK nationality and residence in France? Will this make any difference?

If you live in France, your bike must be registered here.

If pulled over, will the cops rough me up?

Not unless you ask them a load of silly questions.

Is there indeed such a limit or is this an urban myth?

Yes there is.  No it's not.

Do French nationals care much about this (the 100hp limit, not my living in France) and ride unrestricted anyway?

Yes, they care - they don't usually want to lose their bikes.

Are the penalties as severe as I've heard? €30k + prison + bike?

Yes.

Only curious - what are speeding tickets like? Severe? Moderate? Other?

They are oblong slips of paper.  Depends on the severity of the offence.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Thanks to all! One more moderately silly question (keep your finger on the Troll button) : Regarding

the six month rule, if anyone out there knows, would this not apply

then by taking the bike out of and back into the country? Skip into

Germany for the weekend and come back for another five months and twenty-seven days without

having to re-register?

[quote user="DS19"] One more moderately silly question .....[/quote]

Only Moderately silly? [blink]

Which part od SD's reply didn't you understand? If you live here you need to comply with the laws or suffer the consequences.

Sid

Troll button armed....[:)]

I guess it all depends if you want to spend your life looking over your shoulder.

There are dozens of threads on this subject (cars & bikes) and they always end up with two-sided arguments, those who choose to live here legally and those who think they can bend the rules to suit themselves.

I guess the choice is yours.........................................

Do you own a DS19 by the way or are you just a fan of that marque?

[quote user="sid"]

Which part od SD's reply didn't you understand?

[/quote]

All was clear. My question however was not based on the assumption of full-time residence.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Do you own a DS19 by the way or are you just a fan of that marque?

[/quote]

I did and I am.

[quote user="DS19"]Thanks to all! One more moderately silly question (keep your finger on the Troll button) : Regarding the six month rule, if anyone out there knows, would this not apply then by taking the bike out of and back into the country? Skip into Germany for the weekend and come back for another five months and twenty-seven days without having to re-register?
[/quote]

Insurance in France is remains the same as the UK it is a contract Ubramaie Fidelie ( of the upmost good faith ) means you have to tell your insurer all facts which may be relevant to the amount of risk they are bearing.

The permenant exportation of a motor bike from the UK is a question of fact not fine print. Also how do you prove you took it to Germany pick up a speeding ticket on the Autobahn ?

The Gendarmes are not like the UK Police. Last time I saw them pull somebody on British plates the man just jestured gently with a small submachine gun. This was only because the cretin was pulling 110 kph on a dual carriage was which was restricted to 70kph mainly because it had left turns accross the carriage ways which were  used by tractors pulling semis and a second trailor.

French radar traps normally have one relatively small warning sign but are normally hidden just over the crests of hills, in blind alleys etc where they will catch people who break speed limits. They also use ancient hatchbacks with a small hole cut in their tail gates for the radar gun parked up autoroute culvets. There is no French word for fair play.

I would not do any of the things you are suggesting.

If you are a French resident then, I believe, you cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle belonging to you for more than 6 months without getting it registered in France. That means your trips to Germany would count for nothing.

Thank you Anton. I'm less suggesting but rather

exploring the legal parameters; loopholes if you like, a wide variety

of which are used to the benefit of ex-pats in a variety of ways,

not only vehicle related. It is by virtue of the fact that I do not

wish to break the law that I am inquiring. Loophole may sound sneaky to

some but by definition it is a legal circumvent not an illegal one.

Working any legal system is fair game; ask any tax consultant.

I'm much obliged for the heads up!

If you have the time and money, I suppose that you could. I took the other option and registered both of our 99bhp bikes in France, that saved us paying road tax (none in France), more expensive insurance premiums and having to return for MOTs (none on bikes in France). We too dropped from 165bhp (hers) and 130bhp (mine), but find that 99bhp is by far enough for here.

Don't forget that this is not the UK and the coppers here will not try to prove that you have had the bike here for 6 months, it will be up to you to prove otherwise. The 6 month rule is actually only 1 month to start the import procedure with the Impots form acting as a temporary Carte Gris till you get the whole thing done within 6 months. Another point is that UK insurance will only cover a UK resident (read the small print) so you will not be covered in the event of an accident.

How about a picture of the DS? I too was a Citroen fan, ever since my father had a new D super 5 back in the '70s.

[quote user="DS19"]Thank you Anton. I'm less suggesting but rather exploring the legal parameters; loopholes if you like, a wide variety of which are used to the benefit of ex-pats in a variety of ways, not only vehicle related. It is by virtue of the fact that I do not wish to break the law that I am inquiring. Loophole may sound sneaky to some but by definition it is a legal circumvent not an illegal one. Working any legal system is fair game; ask any tax consultant.

I'm much obliged for the heads up!
[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean when you say there is a wide variety of legal loopholes which are used to the benefit of ex-pats in a variety of ways?  Can you enlighten me by providing some examples?

Agreed.

First we have "What if I have UK nationality and residence in France?" then a change of  tack with "My question however was not based on the assumption of full-time residence"

Another example of persitant questioning until the answer desired is received [:(]

DS19, where have I seen that photo you use as your avatar before?  It seems very familiar, and is similar to, but not the same as a relatively well-known art print.

I know I've seen it elsewhere in the last few weeks and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't quite remember at the moment.  I'm sure it will come to me eventually.

BobT.  Thanks again. The only pics of the DS are on print

along with dozens of others that I'll get to scan and share sometime.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"] another

person looking for 'loopholes'.[/quote] Guess my

code of ethics is not as immaculate as yours eh

Tone?

[quote user="liz89"]DS19: Do you have a 100+ BHP bike with a european

certificate of conformity?

[/quote]

No.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Agreed.

First we have "What if I have UK

nationality and residence in France?" then a change of  tack with "My

question however was not based on the assumption of full-time residence" Another example of persitant questioning until the answer desired is

received [:(][/quote]

Funny, I thought a 'what if' hypothetical question would be a

legitimate one - thought that was the purpose of the forum - what must

I have been thinking?

Anyway, changing tack and now being back in the UK,

I want

to use a 200+hp bike here and abroad also. The

degree of overseas residence is yet to be determined and
I expect to make frequent trips, at least occasional

ones, back and forth and some

travelling thoughout Europe as time allows - it is just too early to

decide what to call home base. This
sadly

raises the horribly persistent question of the legal definition of

residence but that would likely not be a straight question.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]I don't understand what you mean

when you say there is a wide

variety of legal loopholes which are used to the benefit of ex-pats in

a variety of ways?  Can you enlighten me by providing some

examples?[/quote]

Certainly. I would not

suggest however that you actually consider doing any of the things

mentioned, we know Tony wouldn't, as you may easily risk being termed a

'fiddler' by those who are immune of such impure thoughts, but for

strictly academic purposes, you may refer with due caution to the

following:

http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-legal/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=2174

http://www.chiefdreamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131&page=3

http://www.expatexchange.com/expat/index.cfm?frmid=211&forumid=0&dbname=ee&tpcid=3326903&shared=N

You may be further assisted in your quest for enlightenment by simply

typing the word 'loophole' into the seach field of this forum. (Those

damn fiddlers!!!)   ):  (

Thanks to all! I'm much obliged for the replies!

Don't even call me Tone, tou're not a friend or a member of my family and even they don't have the ok to call me Tone and at least I have the guts to call myself by my proper name and don't hide behind initials and give a location.

Do I have a moral code, yes, am I whiter than white, not at all but have at least tried to be honest in the past 20 years, do I believe that guests in another country should abide by the laws, yes I do, just because you're happy to continue to get the Brits in France a bad name by looking for loopholes, don't take the p*ss out of people that think this type of thread should be stopped for once and for all by Archant.

Don't even call me Tone, tou're not a friend or a member of my family and even they don't have the ok to call me Tone and at least I have the guts to call myself by my proper name and don't hide behind initials and give a location.

Do I have a moral code, yes, am I whiter than white, not at all but have at least tried to be honest in the past 20 years, do I believe that guests in another country should abide by the laws, yes I do, just because you're happy to continue to get the Brits in France a bad name by looking for loopholes, don't take the p*ss out of people that think this type of thread should be stopped for once and for all by Archant.

And such a new member - this has to be a troll.