Controle Technique for moto's for 2010

milkeybar kid

I think the original proposal was for a basic visual examination at a cost of 30 Euros. This was much criticised as being little more than a way of stamping out non-authorised personalisation. The report on the proposals http://www.utac-otc.com/fr/otc/actu_detail.asp?id_actu=89 mentions a more detailed voluntary check instituted by Autosur , one of the major CT chains which they priced at 70 Euros. Adding the two together one arrives at 100 Euros. This might well be the source of the rumoured 100 Euro charge.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="BJSLIV"]

So instead of a full control they are allowing the Forces of Order to prohibit the use of any vehicle including motorbikes based on a visual inspection. At least they have given plenty of notice. it doesn't come into force until April 2009.

http://www.motomag.com/Procedure-VE-le-controle-technique-5312.html

It an extension of the powers which already exist to examine vehicles that have been involved in an accident or an insurance claim

http://www.leparisien.fr/economie/les-vehicules-accidentes-seront-mieux-controles-07-01-2009-364185.php

avec la menace qu'une moto ne soit déclarée "non dangereuse" qu'une fois équipée de l'intégralité de ses accessoires d'origine.

[/quote]

If it gets rid of those stupid 'swarm of buzzing hornets' exhausts off the kids bikes it'll do for me.

I witnessed a lad at our local bike shop buying one of the aftermarket exhausts for his 50cc 'thing. Looking at his bike outside the shop, his chain was brown with rust and totally knackered and the rear tyre was 'slick' bald.

[/quote]

Seems a lot of people here are bothered about the noise of mopeds - it's the inverse law of two wheels- noise equals power - Hardly Desirables for instance make lots of noise because they are also so slow.

Where I live flatulent horses are more of a noise problem.

Maximum noise limit was set at 80 decibels in Europe in July 1999. Shows how well this law worked.
Unless laws are going to be properly policed there is no point in having them.

Going back to the maintance bit - I have a photo taken in Istanbul outside the Presidents Palace. There was a motorcycle cop with his pride and joy a 20 year old 750 Honda decked out in police livery. He was a serious chap with his machine gun and a pistol plus luxurious mustache. I humoured him into posing by his bike. The silencers were rotted through, the tyres bald and the chain hanging loose and rusty. I got him to pose in different positions to best show the condition of the bike. He didn't seem to worried.

• 3 weeks later...
One step at a time they say so now having successfully sourced a RH dip headlight for the bike next on the list is the C of C.

I've found the French club site which is all a bit beyond my French I'm embarrassed to say so does anyone know where to go for a CoC or maybe even some kind French speaking member could enquire on the club site on my behalf [Www]

The bike is a 1991 Californian and not mine, I'm doing all this for a friend who's been in hospital and is recovering from a major operation so trying to get everything in place for him to get the bike registered when he's well enough which hopefully won't be too long now [:D]

With reference to Big Macs KH 250 Kwaka, I’m showing my age a little now, I am guessing that the tyres in question that he was referring to are possibly the japannes answer to the Dunlop marque, the Bridgestones, the ultimate NON stick tyre ever manufactured in the early 70s, they would have been ideal for frying pans. These tyres where nothing short of being lethal, I did ride a bike fitted with these Bridgestones and believe me they were very scarey and this was in the dry, in the wet they were very dangerous. In fact some friends and I made up a song to the tune of the Teddy bears picnic, If you go out in the wet today your in for a big surprise, Bum Bum because that’s were you would end up, on your backside.

These Bridgestones where the very first batch of tyres from this company and I believe that because of the bad publicity they had received, they were withdrawn from the market.

In those days the road race fraternity used 100% rubber tyres and it’s only now within the last ten years that they have really started to experiment with the composite tyre.

[quote user="ErnieY"]One step at a time they say so now having successfully sourced a RH dip headlight for the bike next on the list is the C of C.

I've found the French club site which is all a bit beyond my French I'm embarrassed to say so does anyone know where to go for a CoC or maybe even some kind French speaking member could enquire on the club site on my behalf [Www]

The bike is a 1991 Californian <snip> [/quote]

Hi Ernie,

Have just been thru the loop with my 1998 Laverda. 

To begin at the beginning ... [:)]

You won't get a (EDIT: European) CoC for a 1991 bike - the bike was made before the introduction of the legislation (1992), let alone its implementation (in theory 1994, in practice Jan 1998 for cars and not until June 2003 for bikes).

So, if my experience is anything to go by, what you need is an 'Attestation d'identification pour véhicule importés conformes à un type communautaire'. But see ** below, too.

And you get this from the French importer.  Now, I don't know who the M-G importer is, altho' there is a phone number here http://www.motoguzzi.fr/new/ for the Service Client: 008 00 12 23 37 00.  You need to speak to someone in the homologation or service technique department.

It may also be worthwhile dropping by your local M-G dealer and seeing if they can help (partly worked for me, in the sense that they were able to confirm what I thought I already knew).

Otherwise, I've a feeling that Moto Guzzi was bought by Aprilia?  Which was then sold to Piaggio?  If so, I can give you contact details for the guy who deals with these things at Piaggio.  Won't be fast or cheap, mind - 2 months and 152 euros in my case.

** You may only be able to get an 'Attestation d'identification pour véhicule importés NON conformes à un type communautaire'.  As you suggest, this is typically delivered because of a headlamp dipping to the wrong side.  If you get one of these, the Prefecture is meant to tell you where to take your bike to get it inspected, after you've rectified it.

HTH, but feel free to come back with any queries.

Edit: Ernie, this is the best - i.e. simplest and original - explanation that I have found of what is required: http://www.drire.gouv.fr/national/demarches/dem_vehicules/Fiches%20RTI%20a%20jour/INF01.1_15102008_importation_vehicule.pdf

Craig

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Craig

I'm not sure you are completely right about CoC's for pre 1992 (94, 98 or 2003 !) vehicles though as I got one for my 1976 MGB but at least I'm gathering some good info to start the job.[/quote]

Ah, fair point, Ernie.  I did wonder whether I was being too casual using the 'CoC' short-hand [8-)]!   I was using it in its most commonly used sense,* i.e. 'Certificate of European Conformity' - Certificat de conformité européen. (* As here, for example:  http://www.eurococ.eu/en/?gclid=CLD8uqqA2pgCFQsJ3wodRUEsdQ.).  I've edited my previous post, btw.

However, it's also true that 'CoC' can also be used to refer to a 'Certificat de conformité à un type national français'.  (Which pre-date the Euoropean CoC regime.)

But I'd be interested to know what your MGB's is called: is it a 'Certificat de conformité à un type national français'' or is it called an 'Attestation d'identification?

Ta

Craig

Btw, another good reference site is this one:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F19222.xhtml

The relevant direct quote from there goes like this:

"Certificat de conformité

Le certificat de conformité communautaire dispense de la réception à titre isolé (c'est-à-dire du contrôle de conformité du véhicule aux normes techniques CE). Pour savoir si votre véhicule a obtenu une réception CE, il faut consulter la documentation du véhicule ou celle délivrée par le constructeur. 

Si le véhicule a obtenu la réception CE, le certificat de conformité qui l'accompagne et qui est délivré par le constructeur, est valable dans tous les Etats membres. 

Just to clarify the terminology, an attestation d'identification is the same as a national certificate of conformity.  It evidences that the bike is type approved for use in France.

I recall from an earlier thread that it was Laverda which was taken over by Aprilia/Piaggio, not M-G.

According to the DRIRE, the following is the contact point for attestations for Moto Guzzis:

Moto Guzzi France, Service homologation, Z.A. Central Parc, 7, allee des Grives, 93421 VILLEPINTE Cedex    Tel:  01.41.51.11.90

As a point of information, the 1994 Directive on EU Whole Vehicle Type Approval for motorcycles was eventually introduced into law in 2002.  However, due to excessive dealer stocks of unsold and therefore non-type approved bikes (eg, the Yamaha MkI Fazer), the UK government obtained an EU derogation to delay introduction of the requirements until mid 2003.

Final point on that Vos Droits extract - whilst the DRIRE can issue attestations for cars, they cannot do the same for motorbikes and commercial vehicles.

Hi SD and Ernie,  (I guess this thread has gone somewhat off topic now, but 'such is life' [8-|] ...)

Yeh, thanks both - I kinda suspected that the Attestation had to be the same thing as the CoC à un type national, just under another name.  Thanks for the confirmation.

A quick check reveals that M-G is, as I vaguely thought, now part of the Piaggio Group (http://www.piaggio.com/).  {I see Laverda isn't even listed as one of their marques - but then I guess they've nothing to sell under the name, so ... [:)] }

And good point, SD, about the DRIRE not issuing attestations for bikes. So it looks like Ernie is going to be writing off to that Moto-Guzzi address you found ...

Bon courage!

Amicalement

Craig