Copyright

Dick Smith

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To respond to Quillan, no, I have not received any payment from Archant. That has not been an issue with me though because I have always been pleased to help out.

As readers will know, there have been regular pieces about this forum appearing in Living France - I don't know about France magazine, because I seldom see copies, but I get the impression that the forum does not have the same profile with them as it does at LF. Those pieces include sample posts and replies, and I am pleased that several of my replies have been used in that way. I have also supplied material for the odd news item to Eleanor.

I suppose I could have put in an invoice, but the payment scales are pretty low compared with the business titles I normally work for. That may sound surprising to some, but LF is the sort of magazine that encourages amateur (meant in the correct way, not pejoratively) contributions and the standard payments reflect this. Of course Eleanor and her colleagues, and Lucy before her, do an excellent job in giving the final result a quality that belies its roots.

My concerns were more that the wording of the T&Cs appeared to offer Archant carte blanche to take a posting, which probably involved a fair bit of knowledge and research, and use it as a feature article without reference to the author - a very different situation from the above. That is something that I would certainly object to very strongly, and, moreover, I am certain that even if permitted to, the Living France team would not stoop so low. The same applies to photographs - and being in the 'engine room' of magazine publishing myself I can categorically state that pictures taken from web sites or galleries will not be usable in print at any degree of quality at anything more than a tiny fraction of their on-screen size - at least not without expensive and time-consuming digital enhancement techniques.

I think the T&C page is something cooked up by Archant's legal people to try to protect themselves against possible errors by editorial staff, or warn off spurious copyright challenges, rather than company policy. I'm pleased to see that others agree with my view that such conditions would be unlikely to stand up in an English court.

Having said the above, I do think that this forum, and its users, provides a resource that could be used rather more by the magazine than it is. One article sticks in my mind - that which looked at three 'hand-holding' alternatives, of which one was run by a convicted fraudster and another had serious issues over its legality as a business in France. Discussions on the forum had mentioned both of these, plus discussed some concerns over the third, and had the author (and sub-editor) been familiar with the forum then the article would never have appeared in its unfortunate form.

I have Paint Shop Pro X and I wondered what the water mark facility was for. That's explained that, ta!!

If I can find out how to stitch photos together with it then it will do just about everything I need.

My earlier comment was to be informed if Argent were going to use anything and if they do then I say again that for me it's only common courtesy to let anyone know that their stuff is being used. I can fully understand that any professional is interested in more if they are not to become a charity, peut etra?

Edit : I got the name wrong[8-)]...

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I use microsoft photo editor and every time I mention getting photoshop for the PC Mr RH goes quite pale............he has it on his Mac but he needs it for his job.

How much is the basic program ?

[/quote]Its baby brother Elements is for sale on Amazon.fr

http://www.amazon.fr/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements-5-0/dp/B000IOM1AK/sr=8-1/qid=1167905402/ref=pd_ka_1/403-1248381-7290826?ie=UTF8&s=software

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I use microsoft photo editor and every time I mention getting photoshop for the PC Mr RH goes quite pale............he has it on his Mac but he needs it for his job.

How much is the basic program ?

[/quote]

Gay - I bought a copy of the latest Photoshop Elements, mainly for its ability to handle current Nikon RAW files (as discussed previously on this forum) just before Christmas for £49 (at Staples in England). The PC version is version 5, though when I looked the Mac version is still v4, so the RAW file handling abilities may be different. But you should be able to download the latest plug-ins free of charge anyway (my very old - version 1 - Photoshop Elements could not cope with these - I tried). The full Photoshop, which I use at work, costs several hundred. About the only important functional difference between Elements and the full program is that it cannot handle CMYK images, which is only really a concern if you produce material for four colour printing - though most pre-press houses are happy to convert RGB to CMYK. Few, if any, non-professional programs will happily work with CMYK anyway.

Further to my long post above, I forgot to say that it looks as if the T&C page is a standard wording to cover all Archant web sites etc - its scope goes far beyond that of the Living France or France magazine sites alone. So the chances of changing the wording are pretty minimal.

[quote user="Will "]

As readers will know, there have been regular pieces about this forum appearing in Living France - I don't know about France magazine, because I seldom see copies, but I get the impression that the forum does not have the same profile with them as it does at LF.

Those pieces include sample posts and replies, and I am pleased that several of my replies have been used in that way. I have also supplied material for the odd news item to Eleanor.

[/quote]

This is correct Will, there is a page on LF that promotes the forum and prints forum posts. France Magazine doesn't.

[quote user="Will "]

My concerns were more that the wording of the T&Cs appeared to offer Archant carte blanche to take a posting, which probably involved a fair bit of knowledge and research, and use it as a feature article without reference to the author - a very different situation from the above. That is something that I would certainly object to very strongly, and, moreover, I am certain that even if permitted to, the Living France team would not stoop so low. The same applies to photographs - and being in the 'engine room' of magazine publishing myself I can categorically state that pictures taken from web sites or galleries will not be usable in print at any degree of quality at anything more than a tiny fraction of its on-screen size - at least not without expensive and time-consuming digital enhancement techniques.

[/quote]

We wouldn't take a posting and create a 'feature article' about it. What we might do is look at the forum posting in order to spark new ideas for articles.

[quote user="Will "]

I think the T&C page is something cooked up by Archant's legal people to try to protect themselves against possible errors by editorial staff, or warn off spurious copyright challenges, rather than company policy. I'm pleased to see that others agree with my view that such conditions would be unlikely to stand up in an English court anyway.

[/quote]

You are correct, the T&C you have been refering to are Archant wide for all their websites.

Just to confirm what Will said - when they used a posting of mine in the magazine I was not told about it (and definitely not paid)! 

Shame, because if they had told me they were going to use it I could have corrected a couple of things first.  [:D]

Bye for now.

"We wouldn't take a posting and create a 'feature article' about it. What we might do is look at the forum posting in order to spark new ideas for articles".

Thanks, James, for the confirmation. That's good, but I hope the author(s) of the post(s) concerned would be given the opportunity to contribute to the feature, if appropriate. Even if it was just to double-check some facts, as Cassis has intimated.

Sorry Will I didn't ask if you got paid for your posts being printed because that wouldn't be any of my or the forum members business, what I did ask was.:

"Will has had a couple of his posts in the LF magazine over the last year or so, perhaps he can tell us if he was asked before the were published?"

I think I am correct in saying that the forum has existed for over 5 years - so far articles have not been copied from here and I really don't think there is any reason to suppose they are going to be.

It really does seem to me that there comes a point that if you are going to post here you are prepared to give Archant the benefit of the doubt when it comes to journalistic integrity.

We can keep dotting every i and crossing every t, or we can get on with trying to put in place routines and improve the knowledge base offered here.

I know what I would rather do.

It was reasonable to ask but a clear undertaking has been made about pictures and an explanation about using some posts to promote the forum in the mag, as well as about topics sparking ideas.

What else is there to say? The fact remains that in 5 + years, posts have not all been put together and turned into an article, that should surely tell you something.

If you mean this:

"Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I have a very busy workload at

present. I have spoken to editorial and asked them about the use of the

photos in print and they have said that they won't be using them within

the magazines."

it is hardly clear. What are the intentions about on-line or internet publishing, where these pictures would have value? Because something has not been done in the past does not mean that it may not be done in the future, and it seems to me that the wording of the above statement is designed to count out the impossible and ignore the possible.

Now we have the position that forum members who wish to edit out their comments or photos are unable to do so. I am rather assuming that the edit function has been disabled because some members were, in fact, editing out their posts and pictures.

Call yerself what you want but you will always be Dickie to us regulars!

I know what you mean about expensive sawdust, my last school piece that was graded was E- and never was good enough to put the teapot on either......

My career was obviously on another plane..............

[quote user="Fluffy Kitten"]Ah. But this kitten hoovers it up afterwards...
[/quote]

I hope it doesn't screw the hoover up???

Dick, if you want to get your pictures off of posts and you use Photo Bucket (oh how I would love to Spoonerise that one [6]), just delete them or create another folder in it and move the photos and they will vanish from your post!! I would assume that the same would happen whatever programme you are using, because it would break the thread to the photo...

Your are quite right Jonzjob, however it seems a shame that some users feel they need to delete their pictures when it has been such a popular part of the forum.

What I suggest is that Dick or anyone else worried about Archants intentions regarding either pictures or text ,composes a list of concerns over the weekend and either sends them directly to admin (http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/465571/ShowPost.aspx) or to a mod, who will pass them on.