Any ideas?

Chris Head

[quote] user="Meg and Mog (and dog)"]Yes fair point Betty. Yes it is good to have other peoples influences and other ideas.  Learning in this creative sense comes from everywhere, everything you see or do. And also people you talk to. But for example the actual process of making, i feel can possibly be best done alone, where you are free to explore the material without anyone telling you how it should be done. And learning form your own mistakes.

[/quote]

Oh sod it, I will never learn at this rate, because I never make mastikes?

Such a lot of what I have learned to do has had to be done by me as there were no others around me to compare. I have been given chalenges, much smaller and more delicate then yours Chris, but to find  way to do them I have had to search inside my own head and I have usually come up with a solution. This has got to be based on my experience in my life and having to make things work on large aircraft and mainframe computers where lives and lots of money has been the saving. Now if I have to do something I have not done or seen before I look into my head for the answer. It is not very often that it does not come to me in some way or another.

Dick, I have had a very quick look at the work of Vygotsky. He was some kind of bloke and a very deep looker at the life around him. I will not try to understand what he was trying to do or say from such a small insight. I will have a deeper look, he sounds interesting... I usually work to the principal that if you can't 'it it wiv a 'ammer it ain't worf doin', but?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, another question: which is the most important challenge? The challenge to produce something saleable, the challenge to produce something creatively satisfying, or the challenge to achieve both together

All of the above Betty. The real confusion is that we just do what we do. Twinks and Meg are no different to me, we're the same animal, although our mediums might be different. Dick takes his influence from other areas, JJ has his own learning curve...there are alot of right and left side brain activities going on here. The whole thing fascinates me, I think my bottom line has to go back to my instinct...the human brain is wonderful and anything goes.

Wot a learning experience! Thanks to you all!

Steve, the proper expression is "don't force it, use a bigger 'ammer!"

A bit like the correct torque loading for any bolt is up to shear and back a 1/4??? That's wot always worked for me and I never had an aircraft I worked on crash!!!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Steve, the proper expression is "don't force it, use a bigger 'ammer!"

A bit like the correct torque loading for any bolt is up to shear and back a 1/4??? That's wot always worked for me and I never had an aircraft I worked on crash!!!

[/quote]

I made the jump from tuned BMC mini engines to rebuilding Imps and Coventry Climax . Had to start using real engineers tools like torque wrenches. Suspect quote may be Al Stewart ' Nothing that's right can ever be forced if it does not come naturally leave it - That's what she said as she turned off the light and I may have been wrong and I may have been right but then who needs it'

Know where yer commin from Anton. But the problem with the alli engines wasn't shearing the bolt so much as stripping the thread in the block wasn't it???

The Imps didn't half go when they were right! And the one litre screamers???????

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Know where yer commin from Anton. But the problem with the alli engines wasn't shearing the bolt so much as stripping the thread in the block wasn't it???

[/quote]

Seconded, with feeling [:'(] Range rovers have ally engines also, the b******s [:(]

The imp engine was basically a Coventry Climax fire pump unit wasn't it. Didn't have one, had a Cooper instead.  [:P]

On Aluminium and Magnesium engine and gearbox cases used for racing I always Helli-Coiled every thread.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Engine.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Gearbox.jpg[/IMG]

Problem solved

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

Seconded, with feeling [:'(] Range rovers have ally engines also, the b******s [:(]

The imp engine was basically a Coventry Climax fire pump unit wasn't it. Didn't have one, had a Cooper instead.  [:P]
[/quote]

1275?

Always remember that on an alli lump use a natter-spanner!

On a Mini it wasn't so much up to shear, it was just before hernia!!!

JJ,

Not an "S", an early 997 with the long stroke engine ( and the weak crank [:(] ), Overstressed the crank having a dice with a ford mustang on a long straight in Africa, it snapped next day on start up. Very loud bang and not nice rattly noises. It took me a few minutes to pluck up the courage to open the bonnet. It was embarassing as the car was a 21st birthday present for my wife but she was too pregnant to get behind the wheel so I had to drive it - what a shame.

It was rebuilt and back on the road by the time she was slim enough though. [:)]

I always fancied a 970 S but never got one. A friend had one bored to 999 (absolute max) and it was a wicked motor.

Steve, your last post bought back a few memories. I raced minis in the seventies (Mini 7 Club). I probably couldn't get into one now. Did you know a guy from Shropshire named Ken Hayward ? He had a garage (Shifnal Garage) and was one of the top mini tuning gurus of the time.