Router plunge depth

thunderhorse

I've just bought a Macallister router (COD127R) from B & Q when in England. The blurb says a plunge depth of 50mm.

Even with the plastic dust guard removed and the bit shaft only partway inserted (not operated!), and stops at minimum/removed, it still only plunges about 45mm. So far B & Q have remained silent.

Have I missed something, or is that typical of a lower priced bit of kit?

Cheers

Surprised no-one has answered yet so out of curiosity, I looked at the manual for your router.  It seems to me that the guide rails have plenty of depth to 'plunge' so what is it actually stopping against? does it plunge right to the bottom with say the router bit removed? I's not stopping against the turret is it?

The plot thickens - I have just tested my Trend T5 (plunge quoted at 50mm)

Fully 'in' the sole + baseplate is 40mm from the stop - fully out it is 82 mm, hence only 42mm of plunge.

Or are they measuring something different?

I've just done some measurements. With the router plunged down to maximum, the collett nut protrudes a few mm below the base plate. The shaft of the bit has a mark and arrow head which seems to indicate how far short to push it into the collett (10 mm). The cutter blades themselves are 20mm long. Add on the shoulder and now I have 50mm (apparent) depth of cut.

This is my first router, and therefore trying to understand the machine, particularly a depth of cut of 50mm hindered by the protruding collett nut. Are longer cutters generally available?

Photo here:

Cheers.