Elizabeth Bradley needlework

I have just has sight of a book by Elizabeth Bradley called 'Decorative Victorian Needlework' its a must have book.  I have looked at her website and I would like to have some of her books or patterns. 

I have seen them on amazon etc but not sure of the content of all her other books.

Does any one have any they no longer use, can recommend or would like to swop for something similar.

I just had a look at their website and there are some great designs.  I've just had two needlepoint kits (thought I'd try my hand at it) delivered to the MIL's house in the UK because the designs and quality in the UK seem to be miles better than anything I've been able to find locally.  We saw some in a shop in Bayeux last October that were the sort of thing we like but it's a bit far to go. 

Do you know this site?

http://www.scottishneedlework.co.uk/

They deliver to France.

Not quite - one's a gold lion on red background - a bit like the Normandy flag but with a bit of extra decoration, the other is a floral.  [:)]

The Bayeux museum sells some brilliant kits for scenes taken from the tapestry, though they are a bit pricy.  I was very tempted when we were there!

They are lovely, Saus, I agree.  My old ma' goes to Bayeux every year for a croquet tournament and brought one of these back and did it very successfully - as she's in her 80's it obviously wasn't that problematical.  She sneaked Halley's (sp) comet in where it shouldn't have been though!

oh, coops, i should SO have loved to have seen the comet on her tapestry!  the mind boggles and i am having SUCH a laugh about it.

cassis, the gold lion sounds wonderful but, why don't you do one with a HUGE sausage?  Or even better a whole STRING of sausages.  i am only half joking; you know, i love those comic strips where sausages (eg in a tom & jerry cartoon) always come in a tremendously long string like paper streamers!

There was a lovely story not long ago about a young girl with a disability that made it hard for her to get out and about. She started to make her own Bayeuw Tapestry and finished it some 20 plus years later. 

I will try and find it and the pictures.

I've been doing needlework (mainly cross-stitch) since 2001 - when I wrecked my back & was house bound for a year.  I've always ordered my stuff from www.sewandso.co.uk & they also deliver to france (& my last order arrived in 3 days!!).

I've also got the computer programme that allows you to create a kit from a photo - so if anyone wants to do a x-stitch of their favourite photo, let me know!!  [:D] 

I have worked for a few companies doing cross stitch and tapestry, got a thank you in one of Julia Hickmans book. Desgin my own too. If anyone is fed up, or cant finish a kit they have do get intouch. Finishing one for my mum at the moment as her eyes are not good enough to complete it

Jane

Blimey!  The post's expanding faster than the universe! 

I think you need some kind of password to login on that site -

you're probably permanently logged in, Beryl.  It works okay with

your latest link.

And well worth waiting for - thank you. [:)]

It's remarkable.

Sorry for only getting back to this thread now - got a new house to clean!!

The programme allows you to deside the size of the finished cross-stitch & how many colours you want to use.  It automatically produces a table for thread quantities, which I have found to be very exact.  At the moment I'm doing a Klimt print - & I've been working on it for nearly a year!! [:-))] (it's been a buzy year, though!!) 

Edit - Wow!!  This is a wide thread!!

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I've got my kit, I've set up the canvas on the stretcher frame as per the instructions, I've made my shade card, I've practiced my tent stitch and my half-cross stitch, I can anchor my threads.  I've read some tips here:

Needlepoint and Cross Stitch Tips.

What none of this explains is how you work several thread colours.  The pattern I'm working (an Ehrman) has some areas with several colours intermingled, as you would expect.  Do I work one colour in an area at a time, or swap between colours as I come to them?  Like if you had a mainly yellow area with some green and blue spots inside it, would I do the green and blue spots first and then work the yellow?

Or is this really too complicated for a bloke and I should go back to woodwork, welding and masonry?

People have different techniques.  If it is an area of mixed colours then I tend to leave the threads attached (breaking and rejoining makes the work messy) and keep changing threads as I go.  Don't let the thread loop any longer than about 4 stitches and always work left to right otherwise you'll end up with it looking uneven and messy.

Kathie

Ps our local (male) plumber, who is 6'5" with hands like pit shovels, produces some fabulous tapestries and the best example of exhibition blackwork I have seen was done by a bloke.