Troc/depot

Just found a fantastic shop near us in the Swiss Jura. A real Alladins cave of antiques and all sort of bric-a-brac. It is called   troc.com

It is a huge warehouse where people can take all sort of stuff to sell - a price is agreed with the shop owners who then take 39% (steep!) of the sale price. I just couldn't believe the prices. I bought the most delightful large pewter water jug for CHFR12 (around £7), a beautiful large pewter bonbonniere for around £10, and a huge antique pewter jug with lid (channe) for £15. And then the pice de resistance, a huge copper poissoniere with steam insert and pewter handles for £40. I was dragged away from the shop kicking and screaming by OH - but both very happy and will go back soon!

You just got Troc'd...

There can be some bargains.

I just sold a piece of junk found in kitchen of second house a sort of seventies formica kitchen cabinet all in one as was fashionable in UK many years ago - I got 100 euros for it - unbelievable.

Going to take more junk found in houses down to the Troc and exchange for antiques.

One of Trocs is Gay well most of the workers are - it seems -  the boss and his boyfriend do not realise I am a retarded homophobe (with reason) and great me warmly which I amusedly and kindly reciprocate - they especially and extravagantly greet me when in other places - such as the supermarket - as usual I hide my prejudices and amazed onlookers think I spend time with tattoed men that like men.

[quote user="Dog"]

You just got Troc'd...

There can be some bargains.

I just sold a piece of junk found in kitchen of second house a sort of seventies formica kitchen cabinet all in one as was fashionable in UK many years ago - I got 100 euros for it - unbelievable.

Going to take more junk found in houses down to the Troc and exchange for antiques.

One of Trocs is Gay well most of the workers are - it seems -  the boss and his boyfriend do not realise I am a retarded homophobe (with reason) and great me warmly which I amusedly and kindly reciprocate - they especially and extravagantly greet me when in other places - such as the supermarket - as usual I hide my prejudices and amazed onlookers think I spend time with tattoed men that like men.

[/quote]

Those kitchen cabinets are really retro and trendy now.....

In my limited experience of troc.com the bigest problem is the amount of reproduction stuff and I don't mean just furniture....let buyer beware [:)]

Of course you have to be cautious. The pewter jug I bought is properly stamped and a very good weight - but mainly a beautiful graceful shape. At £7.00 I really think I got a great bargain - whatever the date or provenance. Love it.

Some of those kitchens may be trendy now - but the one I sold was a 1980s monstrosity - I keep my tools in a far more chic 60 year old all-in-one kitchen cabinet which is in the barn.

You really can buy better stuff at the tip in the UK than in many brocantes, vide greniers and Trocs.

It is a fact that the Troc we visited is in an area where there are practically no Brits - and therefore  a lack purchasers for more expensive 'quality items'.

I always visit charity shops when visiting Weybridge in Surrey! A big difference to what is found in central Leicester!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
We love our troc and have got some amazing bargains.  The solid oak dresser: 4m long, took 4 men to carry in and which is universally admired...for less than 400 euro.  Matching pair of single beds for 10 euros the pair (ok needed some minor fixing up but are great).  Two uplighters at 5 euros each.  Leather office chair - 20 euros...I could go on ad tedium.  My fave place.

Ok there is some crap there too - but tis so much fun browsing [:)]

Our local Troc shop is horrendously expensive and not very well patronised because of this, but being a fairly upmarket area not too distant from Geneva, what can one expect.

Personally, we use Ricardo - a goldmine of eveything one can conceive of, inexpensive and mostly good quality, but then it's best to be able to communicate in Swiss-German or otherwise at least High German.

For those interested, see Ricardo.ch...........much better than eBay!