puff pastry

valB

I normally make all my  own pastry so I am just being lazy. I understand the French ready made Puff Pastry is Pate Feuilletee so I was wondering if anyone has used it and would I need to do anything to it if it is not the same as Englsih pastry. I don't mind adding more butter and re rolling a couple of times as it would still be quicker than making it from scratch.  Any ideas on this ?

Many thanks, Clair, for those recipes and I thought the Puff Pastry one looked very easy comapred to the ones I have tried in the past. Scooby, I have not found any frozen pastry here yet only pre made ones in the chiller cabinet.  It would make my life a lot easier if I could find frozen but never mind.

Oh Bernice,  You are a star. Yes we have one about half  an hour from us but I have never really looked for it there. I normally get my frozen  Corn on the Cob from them. Is it still called  the same as the pre made packs in the Supermarket ?  I know Iam being very lazy but between the bread, pies, soups, fish cakes and numerous other things I make here I am allowed to cheat now and again.  [:D]

[quote user="valB"]Many thanks, Clair, for those recipes and I thought the Puff Pastry one looked very easy comapred to the ones I have tried in the past. Scooby, I have not found any frozen pastry here yet only pre made ones in the chiller cabinet.  It would make my life a lot easier if I could find frozen but never mind.[/quote]

.........why don't you buy the chilled stuff and..........freeze it..................??

I am not sure it is the same as English Puff Pastry as it does not look the same in the picture on the box.  I am sure someone who used it told me they were not too happy with the result.  That is why I wondered if I would have to modify it in some way but the Nigella recipe looks OK to me and when I get to Picards I will buy some frozen packs. So all in all I am sorted thanks to you all.

A mega quick recipe with puff pastry... for your aperitif

roll it thin... if you buy the chilled stuff, then roll it a bit thinner.

put some roquefort on half of it, and fold the pastry over sealing the corners.

Flatten it down a bit, and roll it again till it is quite thin...

cook in preheated over for 7 mins.. 200c

• 3 weeks later...
An update on puff pastry...

I follow several (meaning a lot of...) food blogs and have come across this recipe for an unusual and quick flaky pastry, using petits suisses:

I remembered a marscapone pastry recipe posted here a while back, but I did not realise it could also be used for puff pastry...

Translated from this French blog entry.

A recipe for express puff pastry with petits suisses:

Simply mix equal weights of petits suisses and plain flour, ½ weight of

butter and some salt. The recipe below should be enough for an 8" / 20cm dish.

* 240g / 4 petits suisses (or cream cheese or similar, broken up a bit)

* 240g of plain flour

* 120g of cold butter

* 1 tsp of salt

Mix all the ingredients by hand or in a food processor and it's basically done!

If

you are very brave, you can give a few turns  and here is a great puff pastry in two shakes of a lamb's tail!

[quote user="confused of chalus"]I use the chilled puff pastry and find it fine - though it doesn't rise as high as uk frozen. But I would really like to find FILO PASTRY - has anyone seen it?
[/quote]

I have also found that puff pastry in France doesn't rise like the UK puff pastry does and have been disappointed every time I've tried it.

Claire does your recipe rise like the UK puff pastry? In any case I will give it a go the next time I need some.