A rant at Darty

Mr Coeur de Lion

Went to Chateautroux searching for a new laptop. Tried all the usual places and went to Darty as a last resort.

Wish I hadn't bothered. That's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Found the lappy I wanted, but the only person operating that section was busy selling some blank DVD's to an older couple.

Shouldn't take too long methinks. Well, after 25 mins of waiting, I get impatient, as you do. So I ask someone else if they can do the transaction, after all I knew what I wanted and it's only a case of paying for it. Easy.

No. Not easy. Apparently only the guy who operates that section can do the transaction. Wtf??? Why? There's nothing different in selling a coffee machine to selling a laptop. I wonder I how much money they lose every day because they can't train their monkeys to sell other stuff.

I just walked out in disgust. What a waste of life.

From now on, all my shopping is going to be done online. Simpler, cheaper and I think ultimately quicker!

Yeah, I've dealt with Darty many times in the past but have always felt their procedures are a little ott. I've never been kept waiting this long before though.

The olden days were much better. Choose product, take to til, hand over cash, walk out of shop.

From now on though, online all the way. Found a better laptop 50 euros cheaper online with Carrefour.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

Well, after 25 mins of waiting

But that's all part of the easy going lifestyle that's supposed to be so attractive in France.

[/quote]

Mmmm, but there's easy going lifestyles and just plain sloppy retailing. It's not the fault of the assistant who was helping the customer with their dvd's - it's a mgt issue.

The OP did the right thing - voted with his feet. 

Quite right Richard - it sounds an archaic system at darty! I was going to pm you about Carrefour laptops; I was in there yesterday and they had some at reasonable prices with features we want. Even better online, as you say. I've only had problems with Boulanger, and have found Carrefour pretty good with returns for whatever reason. 

I think my crankiness wasn't helped by the fact I didn't get to bed til 5am that night either.

Much like yourself judging by your post time GG! ;)

I did go into the new Carrefour at Chateauroux, but they didn't sell laptops in there, despite there being big ads on the boards all around the town. Was very strange. Must have sold out.

[quote user="Richard"]I did go into the new Carrefour at Chateauroux, but they didn't sell laptops in there, despite there being big ads on the boards all around the town. Was very strange. Must have sold out.[/quote]

Just a thought.

You did go to the Chateauroux branch, which certainly sells laptops, and not to the Carrefour Market at Déols, didn't you?

I went to the new one on the outskirts, must be the Deols one.

There's a difference then? I thought Carrefour was Carrefour and they'd just built one on the outskirts because it's easier to get to than the one in town. Must say it didn't look as nice as say, Auchan.

Oh well, it's just been shipped from Carrefour online :)

Incidentally, that was my first trip to Chateauroux in over 6 months. What a change!