Water softeners

FairyNuff

Having seen the inside of our hot water tank, we're in the process of putting in a new one, we were discussing the possibility of having a water softener. Speaking to different people and searching the internet I can't find out if you can drink the water after it's been through a salt-based system. Does anybody out there have the definitive answer?

Thanks in advance

FairyNuff  [:)]

[quote user="FairyNuff"]

Having seen the inside of our hot water tank, we're in the process of putting in a new one, we were discussing the possibility of having a water softener. Speaking to different people and searching the internet I can't find out if you can drink the water after it's been through a salt-based system. Does anybody out there have the definitive answer?

Thanks in advance

FairyNuff  [:)]

[/quote]

I think you will find that it's advised that you have a separate tap that does not go through the softener for drinking and cooking purposes.

Edit 21.01:  I have spoken to a couple of friends of mine in the UK who have water softeners, and both have separate taps for drinking and cooking water, hope that answers your question.

I just brought a water softener back with me after buying one on Ebay in the

UK and I was just discussing this with the plumber the other day. He has

suggested having a separate tap installed at the kitchen sink that by passes

the water softener. He said you can allow the cold water in the main tap to be

by passed but the hot water wouldn't so would make more sense to have a separate small cold water tap.

By the way, I know no one has asked but  I can highly recommend where I got mine

from, I am located very close so picked it up myself at the small factory that

makes them. Haven't installed it yet so will hold off making an unreserved

recommendation but the owner of the factory was extremely helpful and said to phone from France

if we have any problems or questions when and/or once installed. Paid just 335 pounds (pound key suddenly doesn't work [blink])

for a 23 litre or 20 person a day one.[:)]

I will try again, it won't allow me to delete the previous post.

I just brought a water softener back with me after buying one on Ebay

in the

UK and I was just discussing this with the plumber the other day. He has

suggested having a separate

tap installed at the kitchen sink that by passes

the water softener. He said you can allow the cold water in the main tap

to be

by passed but the hot water wouldn't so would make more sense to have a

separate small cold water tap.

By the way, I know no one has

asked but  I can highly recommend where I got mine

from, I am located very close so picked it up myself at the small

factory that

makes them. Haven't installed it yet so will hold off making an

unreserved

recommendation but the owner of the factory was extremely helpful and

said to phone from France

if we have any problems or questions when and/or once installed. Paid

just 335 pounds (pound key suddenly doesn't work [blink])

for a 23 litre or 20 person a day one.[:)]

We live in a hard water area in the UK (Suffolk) and I installed a water softener approx ten years ago after discovering as you have the state of my HW tank and pipes.

It was the best investment I have made in the house. The water is totally transformed with one fitted.

In fact we had taken it for granted until just before Christmas when it developed a problem with the electronic regenerator unit.

After fitting a new electronic unit all is back to normal, less soaps, shampoos etc used as with the soft water it lathers up with hardly any of the product being required, nicer to bathe in and no build up of lime scale on the taps and inside the tank.

If fact I am still using the same emersion heater fitted ten years ago.

Regarding having a separate tap for drinking water, this is a must. Don't  forget that an outside tap must also be left hard water.

This does not mean a special tap, but just plumb your original so it is left hard.

Softened water has a relatively high sodium content, so it is best not to drink it or cook from it, and most important that powered baby milk is not mixed with softened water.

Apart from a monthly refill of salt tablets at about £5 a bag, the electronic unit is the first expense in ten years we have had.

I would never be without a water softner ever again if I was in a hard water area.

Please be with out any doubt, you MUST leave your drinking tap hard. Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the responses, it's given us food for thought. [:)]

Having lived in soft water areas all my life (west Yorkshire and near Edinburgh) it was truly a shock to come to live in France - crusty taps, furry kettles, lots more shampoo etc.

I hope everyone's survived the storm without too much damage. My heart goes out to the poor souls on the west coast of France.

FairyNuff