english food

valB

I have just returned from a shopping trip which included several stores and my local Intermarche had an entire freezer full of English Sausages, several varieties, English bread and also Bacon. I felt a little sad that they feel they have to do this and I hope it will be well supported by those who want these items.

[quote user="valB"]I have just returned from a shopping trip which included several stores and my local Intermarche had an entire freezer full of English Sausages, several varieties, English bread and also Bacon. I felt a little sad that they feel they have to do this and I hope it will be well supported by those who want these items.

[/quote]

Where is your local Intermarche

Unfortunately Leo, not anywhere close to you, I live in the Deux Sevres   Dept 79  but maybe it is a thing that all Intermarches are going to introduce. It might be worth enquiring in one close to you. Some English shops stock Bacon so do you have any near you ?  Also, there are some On Line English shops that will deliver at a cost and if you Google you should find something.  The smell  of sizzling bacon should spur you on.  [:D]

Lezay. I have not checked the one close to Melle yet so really not sure if this is just our local one who has decided to try it out. We are fortunate as we have a supplier of English Sausages and can also get English Bacon from a couple of sources. I am in fact at this very moment cooking a Bacon joint for dinner later...sorry Leo, you are too far to invite you for dinner. We have a very good Fish and Chip mobile van in the area as well as an Indian Takeaway which is good as well. We still love French food but nice to treat ourselves now and again.A fabulous restuarant that does an amazing Sunday Roast, three courses and very well cooked but yet again a now and again treat for us.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Oh proper bacon.[/quote]

If you ever found a place that sells american bacon , please share the place here !! i've been looking for such a place for a loooooooong time and couldn't find it, even in the few american grossery i found :(

[quote user="Judith"]I do wish I could find real gammon here, and not the stuff which is really pork by any other name, (it cooks like pork anyhow)  which they call gammon --- any ideas?
[/quote]

I stumbled across a pack of 4 or 5 gammon steaks, very reasonably priced in my local Netto.

Cant remember what they were called but you cant miss them.

Oh and they were bloomin tasty!

[quote user="valB"]I I felt a little sad that they feel they have to do this...

[/quote]

Why? Would you feel sad if Tesco or Asda had a shelf with foie gras, wines, baguettes, croissants, French cheeses etc?

You can get home-made English-style sausages and bacon, together with various other English foods - including hand-cured gammon joints -  here in Normandy. They are made from local French meats though to ensure freshness, and are very good indeed. The makers offer a web site and delivery service that covers all of France, if you want good sausages or bacon. They also supply various local supermarkets.

However when I have recommended this service to other people elsewhere they have whinged (in what has become typical English-in-France fashion) about the delivery charge. But deliveries in France are dear, particularly for a priority service like perishable foodstuffs.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Judith"]I do wish I could find real gammon here, and not the stuff which is really pork by any other name, (it cooks like pork anyhow)  which they call gammon --- any ideas?

[/quote]

I stumbled across a pack of 4 or 5 gammon steaks, very reasonably priced in my local Netto.

Cant remember what they were called but you cant miss them.

Oh and they were bloomin tasty!

[/quote]

Shame - we don't have a netto around here as far as I know.  I even got the tins of pineapple in once when I bought gammon - I was so disappointed when it turned out just like pork!

We are very lucky that we go to England regularly- when we are there we enjoy British food in all its glory (oh yes) - and then we come back, and that's it- till the next time.

Eating local food (in season)  is so much better, more ecologically friendly, and so much cheaper.

I love cooking English food if we have friends around - but still with local produce. For a village meal, I wouldn't make Shepherds pie as it is like Hachis Parmentier.

Lancashire hotpot perhaps, with different crumbles. Our friends love upside-down puddings too.