Bought any light bulbs recently?

Bugsy

[quote user="Will"]When were you last in England? We have plenty of light fittings taking ES bulbs. Just as you can sometimes find BC fittings in Europe.

The same ES bulbs that cost 4-5€ up to about 9-10€ in France can be found for £1 or less (I have seen them as low as 10p if you buy several) with few more than £2.99 in 'rip-off Britain'.
[/quote]

I understand that the reason for the new bulbs being cheap in the UK is to do with the energy companies having to spend a certain amount of money; on energy saving schemes, so they decided to subsidise energy saving light bulbs. Not sure how long this will last, so earlier in the year I bought 50 for £5. Having said that I do miss the old 100 and 150 watt ones they were great in the workshop, the new equivalents are not the same. Also they don't fit or suit all the old lampshades in the house.

[quote user="NickP"]

Having said that I do miss the old 100 and 150 watt ones they were great in the workshop, the new equivalents are not the same. Also they don't fit or suit all the old lampshades in the house.

[/quote]

Fear not NickP, the halogen replacements for the old incandescent lamps although a tad expensive are lower wattage 42w replaces a 60w etc and produce a much better light especially for working under.

You can also get bases that convert to ses to xenon G9 so you only have to replace the G9 which are relatively cheap.