Buying whitegoods online with UK bank card

Gardener

I've had that today too.  The fraud team refused a transaction on my UK card because my address is in France and I was buying from a UK site and this looked suspicious. 

Some time before August they refused a UK transaction because it looked

suspicious.  I had gone to buy a car and filled it up with fuel and they

said I should have informed them that I was travelling.

In August I complained about the regular refusals and said that it was ridiculous that they had just refused a transaction in France because it looked suspicious - when the address I was buying from was within 20k of my home address which is my statement address. 

They said they'd make a note - and today was the result. 

It seems that you will get a refusal one way or the other and they can't 'make a note' that you live in France and have a UK card which you may use on both French and UK internet sites or even physically in either country. 

We're probably with the same bank!

Slightly off topic, but even with my French card I now often get a second security check whereby they send a code to my mobile phone which I then have to enter onto a space on-line.

Fortunately I now have a mobile phone, but didn't until a few months ago...

Both my French and UK card have some kind of verified by visa check, the French one is done by phone. I initially thought that the problem was just with the site I was trying to use, so switched to another one and tried to order the same thing, that was blocked too. My efforts to place the order just heightened the bank's suspicions ( and more annoyingly those of the company I have now actually managed to buy from ).

I am glad that banks are being proactive fraud, just wish that they would be more proactive in letting the customer know.

Ours lets us know - they usually phone within half an hour.  This time I got a phone call just after I'd put the transaction through on my debit card instead.  I prefer to use the credit card in case there are any problems so its a bit of a pain.  I like that they're proactive about fraud - its just that their system is too simple.  There must be a flag to say which country you regularly purchase in and if you go outside that, either online or physically, your card is stopped.  Its resolved quicker than it used to be a few years ago though......

[quote user="NormanH"]Slightly off topic, but even with my French card I now often get a second security check whereby they send a code to my mobile phone which I then have to enter onto a space on-line.[/quote]Our other UK bank has just started doing this for account changes too - catching up with the French banks!