Eucalyptus wood garden furniture

mint

Does anyone have this stuff?

It's about a quarter of the price of teak and I am thinking about buying a table.

Does it look OK after, say, a couple of years?

All information and advice will be gratefully received.

Cannot answer your question but eucalyptus grown in Europe is a bit naughty as they kill off local vegetation and it doesn't support european mammals and there are not many coalas about.

You need to know where teak comes from too.

I have 8 chairs and one smallish table in teak. I have one large eucalyptus table. All have received the same treatment in terms of exposure to weather, cleaning and treatement with oil. Although the Eucalyptus table is half the age of the teak, it is in much worse nick - splits, warping of the wood etc..

Sounds overpriced but then how does it compare with poplar.[:P]

Grown in Uruguay for making pulp for paper the expertise is connected with investment from a Finnish company.

The border between Argentina and Uruguay has been closed on numerous occasions due to environmental protests.

Last year the Summer Season at Punta del Este had a notably significant non argentine participation.

The wood is suitable for paper and the leaves are suitable for Koalas!

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Our eucalyptus table and benches are three years old now. Oiled every autumn then put in the shed for the winter. Still looking good - no cracks, but they have spent the winters under cover.
Why not good English oak? price!!!!!
[/quote]

Not so sure about price.

If you look in the distance in the first photo you will see a garden love seat.

The chap who makes them is retired and in his 80s, the love seat is around £ 184 if I remember correctly.

He does them to order for a little extra pin money.

Close up of double seat;

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/SANY0054.jpg[/IMG]

Well in the process of purchasing a seat it transpired that he had ONCE done an octagonal table with 4 chairs as a present for his daughter.

Of course one thing led to another and the table and chairs were delivered in may this year; frankly at £ 364 I thought that they were reasonably priced.

Sweet why not search for an old oak door to use as the table top and use green wood for the legs.

I must take a pic of my metal framed recliner chair that after 4 years suffered from metal fatigue so it is now morphing into a wooden chair...

Absolutely, Rabbie.

I'll see if there is some peat-soaked oak that I could fish out from the moat.  Once dry, should be nice and heavy and make suitably impressive garden furniture, don't you think?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bought a set of garden furniture in Eucalyptus about 4 years ago, large oval table and 6 chairs, 2 with arms. cost about 240 euros. Chairs are all fine but the edging around the table has warped. Not a problem if you don't put your glass too near the edge!!!!