Planning permission

Hi all

We have just discovered that our neighbour who owns a large plot of land adjacent to our property has applied for and been granted permission to build a house on this land despite it being designated protected (historic monument in vicinity). The building plot is now for sale through a local agent. We have never been contacted about this or asked whether we had any objection which I am a little surprised about. A year ago we applied for and was successful in getting permission to build a garage extension but our neighbour was contacted about this and did ask that it be made smaller (which it was). How come he knew about our garage but we didn't know about his plans? Many thanks in advance all.

The existence of a national monument does not preclude a perit to construct; but if it is within 500 metres of the monument  it will be referred to the architecte de batiments de france.

There is one singular exception to this national rule in an earlier thread I was informed that in Quillan in the Aude Department the distance is 1000 metres.

The system seems to be that you can only object after initial permission is granted. I believe you then have three months to submit an objection. It probably won't get you very far unless you want the expense of lawyers or an architect.

[quote user="Mikep"]The system seems to be that you can only object after initial permission is granted. I believe you then have three months to submit an objection. It probably won't get you very far unless you want the expense of lawyers or an architect.
[/quote]

Until the permission is granted, there is NO permission.

Am I being oxymoronic this morning?

Or am I trying to say that objection to a non-existent thing is difficult.

In France neighbours are not notified of any building applications or anything else much either, the onus is on the public to keep up with current applications which are posted at the local mairie for all to see (ours is in a large folder just inside the door and the next village have a huge noticeboard across the road in front of the church as they have the room). Once permission is granted you have two months in which to lodge any opposition to the mairie granting the permis. A building must either be built right on the talus of the adjoining property where space is a problem to build or a minimum of 3m away if there is room to construct. You can ask to have your tax habitation reduced as well and sometimes this is automatic by the fisc (ours dropped by over half when a bungalow was built on our talus and we never submitted any reduction requests).  You should make sure the windows are not overlooking your private space and ask to see the plans at the mairie but make sure they are the correct plans as they are often changed at the last minute before building commences.

[quote user="Val_2"]In France neighbours are not notified of any building applications or anything else much either, the onus is on the public to keep up with current applications which are posted at the local mairie for all to see (ours is in a large folder just inside the door and the next village have a huge noticeboard across the road in front of the church as they have the room). Once permission is granted you have two months in which to lodge any opposition to the mairie granting the permis. A building must either be built right on the talus of the adjoining property where space is a problem to build or a minimum of 3m away if there is room to construct. You can ask to have your tax habitation reduced as well and sometimes this is automatic by the fisc (ours dropped by over half when a bungalow was built on our talus and we never submitted any reduction requests).  You should make sure the windows are not overlooking your private space and ask to see the plans at the mairie but make sure they are the correct plans as they are often changed at the last minute before building commences.[/quote]

What a load of cobblers!

As I walk around carefully inspecting the 6 metre gap between the shops in Parthenay.

If you don't believe the system, Patch, ask at your Mairie. It certainly operates here - I asked to see the plans when a neighbour's application was posted on the Mairie noticeboard, but was told to come back after the application had been considered by the Commune council and either passed or rejected. As it happens it was rejected, which saved me the trouble.

[quote user="Mikep"]If you don't believe the system, Patch, ask at your Mairie. It certainly operates here - I asked to see the plans when a neighbour's application was posted on the Mairie noticeboard, but was told to come back after the application had been considered by the Commune council and either passed or rejected. As it happens it was rejected, which saved me the trouble.
[/quote]

I am aware of much of the Permis de Construire procedures BUT NOT THAT ONE CANNOT BUILD CLOSER THAN 3 METRES.

I am also aware that one cannot construct a building WITHIN THE 3 METRES AREA ADJACENT TO THE BOUNDARY.

I am also aware that ONLY THE MAIRE CAN GIVE PERMISSION FOR A BUILDING TO BE CONSTRUCTED COLINDANT WITH THE BOUNDARY.

I am also aware that since march 2007 with the simplification of the planning procedure that MAIRES HAVE BEEN IMPLICITLY INSTRUCTED TO LOOK FAVOURABLY ON COLINDANT CONSTRUCTIONS.

I am also aware that IF THE MAIRE SAYS OK BUILD ON THE BOUNDARY THE REST OF THE COUNCIL CAN NOT VARY THAT DECISION.

I luv 3 metre posts.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Val_2"]In France neighbours are not notified of any building applications or anything else much either, the onus is on the public to keep up with current applications which are posted at the local mairie for all to see (ours is in a large folder just inside the door and the next village have a huge noticeboard across the road in front of the church as they have the room). Once permission is granted you have two months in which to lodge any opposition to the mairie granting the permis. A building must either be built right on the talus of the adjoining property where space is a problem to build or a minimum of 3m away if there is room to construct. You can ask to have your tax habitation reduced as well and sometimes this is automatic by the fisc (ours dropped by over half when a bungalow was built on our talus and we never submitted any reduction requests).  You should make sure the windows are not overlooking your private space and ask to see the plans at the mairie but make sure they are the correct plans as they are often changed at the last minute before building commences.[/quote]

What a load of cobblers!

[/quote]Don't be so harsh on yourself[:D]

[quote user="Mikep"]Please don't shout!
. . . and who's Colin Dant?
[/quote]

The line of zero area between two limotrophical zones.

He is called Colin Dante in Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese.

And probably a dozen other bastard languages like Catalan, Gallego, Occitan,etc.[:P]

Hi

Thanks all for your replies, both informative and otherwise!! We do not have a specific objection to our neighbour applying for permission its just that I was curious as to why we weren't consulted, but then I guess that's just how things are done here. Only concern we have is that he owns several "parcels" of land which surround our property and we don't want it turning into a housing estate but by bit, with us stuck in the middle. Fortunately there seems little demand for building plots at the moment (at least in our area) so it may take him some years to sell them all. We do have a monthly newsletter but no planning requests are ever printed in there. All the best to everyone