We are shortly to complete on our lakes in the Dordogne and I would like to have an air rifle powerful enough to take out a heron or a cormorant (not that I've seen any yet).  I was wondering if they are readily available in France or would I need to buy one in the UK before I go out and then take it over there.  Are there any restrictions for owning air rifles now either in the UK or France?  It has been a while since I owned one and there weren't any then but better safe than sorry.

AFAIK there are no restrictions in France and you can certainly buy a 2.2 air rifle in the Sports shops here but I am not sure they are any cheaper. I did ask the price of one, a while ago but either old age or too many glasses of vin has made my memory fade

Cheers Les I'll keep a look out then.  Might be easier to buy one here then if only purely for the language barrier.

Not too sure about that (does anyone know of restrictions for shooting herons or cormorants in France?) but I'd like to be prepared for it rather than not. Even if it's just for target shooting that's ok.    I have read about coypu that have attacked dogs and with having 3 small children would rather be safe than sorry.

Hello

There are no restrictions on buying air weapons in France they have to be under a certain muzzle energy. However in France you cannot hunt with a airifle or small bore rifle without a special licence (notwithstanding one having a hunting licence).

I think that it would be totally irresponsible to attempt to kill a heron or cormorant with a airifle the chances of delivering a non lethal shot are very high which could leave you with a badly injured bird having a long and painful demise which I am sure you would not want. If you are a competent shot the best weapon would be a .22 rifle with a good telescopic sight but if you use this type of weapon then you must be careful to shoot into dead ground and remember that a .22 bullet can travel and be lethal over a quite long distance. So really if you can get within range and again are a competent shot I would suggest using a 12g shotgun with a reasonably heavy load.

Please to save yourself a lot of trouble get in touch with the Federation de Chasse and stay within the law.

Regards 

We've spent a while in France out in the wilds and the nearest we've come to a ravening beast was a red squirrel (if you don't count next door's cat).

I don't think herons are protected - they seem to be thriving (bet you need to be told that!). A friend in England has a problem with herons in his garden, so he put out a plastic heron - which attracted lots of real ones - and then got a heron-scarer. It has a motion sensor and squirts a jet of water at the bird. The heron figured out how to avoid it almost straight away, but he drenched his next-door neighbour half a dozen times in the first 2 days. I have another friend who acts murderously towards them but they always get away. Don't know about cormorants, except that they look good swooping in at sunset. But then it's not my trout lake they're heading for...

I hope that they won't be swooping over my lakes either which is my main concern.  I'd hate to come out and see a flock of fat birds living on my lakes and not be able to catch any fish. We don't intend to eat the fish so why should I let the birds?

[quote]I hope that they won't be swooping over my lakes either which is my main concern. I'd hate to come out and see a flock of fat birds living on my lakes and not be able to catch any fish. We don't inte...[/quote]

Because they were there first?  Not to mention having no other means of feeding themselves or their family, unlike some....

Because they were there first?  Not to mention having no other means of feeding themselves or their family, unlike some....

Well there is that as an argument however, as they will be taking food from my kids mouths in a roundabout way then it is survival of the fittest.

[quote]Hello Look instead of going down the air rifle route why don't you get a professional in to control your problem. They understand what is needed and can solve your problem ni a quick and efficient ma...[/quote]

Is there a problem or only anticipation of a possible one?  I've read that coypu are common in France but how common are herons and cormorants?  How would a professional do it?  I've heard with coypu they put poison down, which isn't very good when there are kids and other animals around (not sure about the legality of shooting these either though), but what would they do about herons and cormorants?

Before I get anymore challenges over an air rifle I'd just like to say that I am an extremely competent shot and will not shoot the body but only go for head shots to make sure I get the kill.

I will only be shooting after I have spoken to the Federation and only if it is legal.

[quote]Why don't you just leave them alone! One of our pleasures is to see herons flying and coming on the water near us. I shall try to find out if these two birds are protected and if they are I shall ce...[/quote]

I take it that they aren't swooping onto your lake eating your fish and taking away a possible income to provide for your kids then eh?

[quote]Why don't you just leave them alone! One of our pleasures is to see herons flying and coming on the water near us. I shall try to find out if these two birds are protected and if they are I shall ce...[/quote]

what about the pecheurs (or fishery owners - have you seen the price of fish to stock a lake?)?

[quote]No, but I see your two avatars are practically the same. You go well together. You know, I just came back to edit my previous post, as I thought I'd been had, it couldn't be true, it must be another...[/quote]

Thanks - we ought to: we've been married a while now and are very happy thank you!  Oh - and our avatars were exactly the same because Paul pinched the photo I used so I just changed it to one of another of the lakes!

What do you mean you've been had?  Why?  Don't get it.... no fishery owners who pay to stock their lakes would be happy for wild birds to swoop in and eat the stock, any more than would any owner of a garden pond containing Koi Carp.

The Coypu apparently dig tunnels through the banks which drain the lake (not sure if that is a problem with our lakes because of the way they are set up and the lie of the land, but that remains to be seen) and they also attack dogs - so wouldn't any parent worry that they may also attack small children?  Someone recently posted that they (adults) were chased by a large Coypu themselves when they inadvertently neared the animals young.

Really don't see your problem - or why you are namecalling - so please do feel free to elaborate and clarify your views.

Excuse me. How close are you going to be to do a successful "head shot". If you are going to shoot  a heron make sure you have a knowledge of their anatomy. I have shot a lot of different targets and "head shots" were rarely a reasonable option. Stick to fishing and let someone who is used to dealing with this do The job.

[quote]Excuse me. How close are you going to be to do a successful "head shot". If you are going to shoot a heron make sure you have a knowledge of their anatomy. I have shot a lot of different targets and ...[/quote]

Hi Zeb, well let me say that I'll be as close as I need for a head shot for any bird/animal that I need to shoot.  This is because unlike what some posters think I don't want to cause unnecessary suffering to any animal/bird. 

As for your other post about getting a shotgun aren't these for people that can't shoot?  Well accurately at least.....

Since you didn't answer the wife's post does that mean you are a professional and don't want to endanger your job?

Lastly I'd like to say that as a fishery manager this is all part of my profession and the wellbeing of my fish comes first and foremost.

Well after searching on the internet for about 3 hours solid we have found that Herons and Cormorants are protected species across Europe.  The only upside is that English fishery owners get permission (as in a special licence to shoot them) to rid themselves of these piscivorous birds and so we may stand a chance.  Otherwise we may have to resort to the spraying technique as mentioned by Dick (don't fancy walking round in waterproofs in the middle of summer lol) either that or employ the kids with their high powered water blasters.

"The wellbeing of my fish comes first and foremost."  Now isn't that touching, I almost had a tear in my eye.  You forgot to mention how much you make out of the "wellbeing of your fish".

It's funny because after I last posted I saw on French TV "Incroyable Mais Vrai".  It showed another couple with a great passion, in water, but for crocodiles.  But they took risks, he went in the water and tackled the crocodiles with only his own arms, helped by his wife, they capture them without hurting them and without being hurt to put them in safer waters.  They are very brave don't you think?

It reminded me of all the silly people who had baby alligators and when they got too big put them down the toilet, etc., where they grew in the sewers.  Perhaps some other do-gooders saved them and put them in some lakes.  I hope there are none in yours, because in this case your Air Rifle might not be enough...

Edit: Glad to see that you have found out that they are protected, so there are people with some sense.  If you want to take the risk of being born to fish, maybe you have to take the risks that go with it...

[quote]Well after searching on the internet for about 3 hours solid we have found that Herons and Cormorants are protected species across Europe. The only upside is that English fishery owners get permissio...[/quote]

aha - but apparently part of the arguments for fishery owners in the UK to get special licences was the fact that in France they were allowed to shoot 25000 of these birds a year.........